Turn on thread page Beta

Disturbing rumor about bread in Britain watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat at least a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

ReputationRep:
    national cuisine LOL a couple of beers and a greasy kebab :P

ReputationRep:
    bread is a part of staple diet for lunches and snacks, but for main meals we tend to have more meat, pasta, and other such things

ReputationRep:
    i probably go through a loaf of bread every 2 days, but thats more than most people. We generally only us it for, toast, sandwiches, dipping in soup.

how on earth do you get through a whole loaf everyday, without anything else on it it's over 2000 calories.

ReputationRep:
    Normally, I only consume bread in the form of toast and sandwiches, so I'll have at most, half a loaf a week!

ReputationRep:
    Curry

ReputationRep:
    Nope, we only eat boiled turnips.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have that much bread really. I have a gluten intolerance so I've tried to cut back. If I did have bread, it'd be a maximum of 2 pieces a day, but in reality it's more like a bread roll or bit of a baguette once a week/fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you eat a loaf of bread a day when there are all kinds of other delicious carbs?

ReputationRep:
    Bread in the UK is horrible compared to countries like Italy/Portugal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    bread is a part of staple diet for lunches and snacks, but for main meals we tend to have more meat, pasta, and other such things
    Slowdive ftw.

And yeah, meat, pasta, mixed veg, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OdinsThunder)
    Nope, we only eat boiled turnips.
    And that's if you're lucky =P

ReputationRep:
    -sandwich-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Why would you eat a loaf of bread a day when there are all kinds of other delicious carbs?
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i probably go through a loaf of bread every 2 days, but thats more than most people. We generally only us it for, toast, sandwiches, dipping in soup.

how on earth do you get through a whole loaf everyday, without anything else on it it's over 2000 calories.
    Well, it's normal in our culture and cuisine to eat that much of bread We do also eat lots of meat, potato in any form,
    Traditional food includes soups, stews, smoked meats, minced meat like cevapcici and meatballs, stuffed vegetables (such as peppers) and kebabs. A dish of mixed grilled meat is a specialty. Fish is used in chowders and is grilled and fried.
    Source: http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Montenegrin_Cuisine

ReputationRep:
    It's all about Hovis 50/50.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we do eat bread. Sandwiches, toast, pitta bread and hummous, bread and butter as a bit of a snack. So yeah, we eat bread.

I've never heard of burek and would doubt its made in Britain very much bar in speciality shops.

As for our national cusine, we don't really have one. We mostly eat things that originated in other countries. I can't really speak for the rest of the cuntry, but these are the things I often eat for dinner:

Pasta dishes
    Risotto
    Quiche and salad
    Fish, potatoes, vegetables
    Leek and ham tart with salad
    Soup

You may see that fish and chips are one of our national dishes. This can be said to be true but it would be a mistake to think its eated very often. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate it (and I like it a lot). People also sometimes eat things such as curry, but I don't like it so never do.

In a boarding schoolwhat you will eat, obvioulsly will depend on what they serve you. Sometimes boarding schools give examples of their meals on their websites- maybe have a look at the one your are going to and see.

ReputationRep:
    sunday dinner? meat and veg with yorkshires :coma:
    and britain is a big place.... scots have haggis, welsh have.... leeks? and irish have stews/tattie based meals

ReputationRep:
    The only bread that most people eat is in the form of toast, toasted sandwiches, sandwiches or baguettes, and unless it's for lunch then bread is usually just a side. For example most people would have some buttered toast as a filler alongside some cereal or pastries. You can get loads of bread, and it's very cheap, but I don't know if you'll like it. :dontknow:

As for national cuisine we eat stuff from all over the world; British cuisine itself isn't generally very popular, because it traditionally uses less popular vegetable and meat options than, say, French and Italian cuisine - cauliflower over broccoli, gammon over pork, etc. Exceptions to this include fish and chips, the English Breakfast, sausage and mash, jacket potatoes, and roast dinners. Apart from those we eat stuff from all over the place, from everywhere from Thailand and Japan to Mexico and the United States.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have high expectations. What we Brits call "bread" is more of a manky, tasteless, mass-produced baked paste. Some people, if they have the time, make their own bread and this tends to be far more edible, but sadly the vast majority of the bread we use comes from the supermarket and should be consumed at your peril.

ReputationRep:
    The most eaten meal in Britain is a Chicken Tikka Masala. Which was actually invented in Britain.

Enjoy with a Pashwari naan

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.