Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Disturbing rumor about bread in Britain watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djordje)
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

I looked up burek on Wikipedia - it says it's filo pastry with various fillings, either baked or fried. My mum makes filo triangles with feta cheese inside, which would fit the description. I've never had them anywhere else though...

ReputationRep:
    In the UK... it's all about the potato. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wangelo)
    Bread in the UK is horrible compared to countries like Italy/Portugal.
    nah fresh crusty bread is amazing

ReputationRep:
    Boreks are easily fouind in turkish bakery type shops but these only exist around turkish areas in london

ReputationRep:
    Bread gets really boring and stodgy after a while. I only really eat it if I'm making a sandwich

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been able to find decent bread in this country. Tis sad, really

ReputationRep:
    A loaf of bread lasts me a week, and there's usually a couple of slices left in that!

ReputationRep:
    we eat all cuisines. I've eaten a lot in Montenegro and most of your restaurants are just montenegran food! There are so few places to eat only british food in britain, it's crazy. We prefer thai, indian, chinese, Mexican, Italian, French, pretty much anything.

But we've also adapted their cultures food to suit ours.

I eat crusty bread with olive oil, vinegar and olives a lot, but that sbecause I usedto live in Italy so we picked up the habit!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekay1)
    national cuisine LOL a couple of beers and a greasy kebab :P
    Warm, flat beers in cans and a very, very greasy kebab. :coma:

Perfect night out. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    I looked up burek on Wikipedia - it says it's filo pastry with various fillings, either baked or fried. My mum makes filo triangles with feta cheese inside, which would fit the description. I've never had them anywhere else though...
    Your mum knows her cooking I love filo pastry especially with feta. If she likes spinach, you can try it with feta and spinach (and I think they also put an egg in the filling, to bind it better)

<3

ReputationRep:
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat at least a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

That's a lot of bread, that's like 2000 calories just from bread, so not to be rude, I doubt you eat as much as you think you do.

Bread is eaten for breakfast, lunch and usually snacks (the odd sandwich).

If you're at boarding school then you'll be having school dinners, which tends to consist of (not in one sitting of course), shepards pie, veg, chicken potatoes, pasta, burgers, chips, roast dinners, sausages. I would say the usual faire, but you wouldn't know what that is :P.

Breakfast will most likely be cerial, toast, bacon, eggs and sausages. Unless it's extra fancy you may get croissants lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    Your mum knows her cooking I love filo pastry especially with feta. If she likes spinach, you can try it with feta and spinach (and I think they also put an egg in the filling, to bind it better)

<3
    Yeah, we put egg in there as well, plus black pepper and parsley I think. I swear, they're so good when they're fresh out of the oven that I can eat half the batch!

My brother and sister turn their noses up at spinach, but I've made spanakopita before for a cookery competition...nowhere near as good as the one I tried in Athens though!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be fooled, the British eat a lot of bread and much of it is very tasty. However, we call it "sausage".

ReputationRep:
    Go to any independent bakery and you'll find loads of delicious freshly-baked bread of all kinds. There's nothing like a loaf of lovely soft white freshly-baked bread that's still warm from the oven. Ignore anyone on this thread that says most British bread is awful, because it's not true.

ReputationRep:
    It somewhat amuses me that you find your near-ending relationship with bread, 'disturbing' :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Nice Though this thing is special to these areas and Turkey so it wouldn't be the same Thumbs up for your mum's cooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    It somewhat amuses me that you find your near-ending relationship with bread, 'disturbing' :|
    It does disturb me as it's most vital part of my meals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Go to any independent bakery and you'll find loads of delicious freshly-baked bread of all kinds. There's nothing like a loaf of lovely soft white freshly-baked bread that's still warm from the oven. Ignore anyone on this thread that says most British bread is awful, because it's not true.
    All my hopes lie on independent bakeries then

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find genocide, crimes against humanity and terrorism disturbing... bread isn't such a worry to me.

Yet on the same level, I suppose I do find Rebecca Black disturbing...

ReputationRep:
    It does disturb me as it's most vital part of my meals
    Depending on where your boarding school is, there's a greek pie shop in London near goodge street station, that looks like borek.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.