Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Yeah, we put egg in there as well, plus black pepper and parsley I think. I swear, they're so good when they're fresh out of the oven that I can eat half the batch!

My brother and sister turn their noses up at spinach, but I've made spanakopita before for a cookery competition...nowhere near as good as the one I tried in Athens though!
    Omg you cook them in the oven? Most people fry them and that's why I don't cook them (the idea of deep fried filo is a bit too much, calories wise)
    Can you tell me the recipe? pm me if you want since it's off topic

ReputationRep:
    hovis is da best
    no doubt about it
    although us brits do eat quite a lot of bread cos its
    a source of carbohydrates

ReputationRep:
    Think yourself lucky you're not going to east Asia. We eat quite a lot of bread, usually in the form of sandwiches for lunch.

Waitrose sells reasonable bread like a Pain au Levain, and you can get nice bread from some independent bakeries. Most people in Britain appear to eat the cheap Hovis filth though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Depending on where your boarding school is, there's a greek pie shop in London near goodge street station, that looks like borek.
    In Holt, Norfolk Thanks, will stop by there when I arrive if I get the chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    Omg you cook them in the oven? Most people fry them and that's why I don't cook them (the idea of deep fried filo is a bit too much, calories wise)
    Can you tell me the recipe? pm me if you want since it's off topic
    Burek is a Croatian-Serbian meat, cheese or vegetable pie made with flaky filo (also spelled "phyllo") dough.

There are myriad versions, including the coiled variety, among Bulgarians, Bosnians, Yugoslavians, and others. And, of course, there are the famous triangle-shaped Greek spanakopitas.

A slice of burek goes great with a glass of cold kefir.

Makes 6 servings of Cheese Burek

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    2 large eggs, beaten
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 (1-pound) package filo dough, thawed
    1/2 cup (1 sticks) butter, melted
    1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
    Preparation:

In a large bowl, mix together cheeses until light and fluffy. Add eggs and herbs, mixing well.

Separate filo dough into two piles of 24 sheets. Cut filo dough sheets in half. You should have two piles of 48 leaves. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together melted butter and olive oil. Using a pastry brush, butter 6 (8-inch) round shallow pans.

Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixure. Repeat with 2 more sheets and butter. Spread 1/6 of the cheese mixture on top and to the edges.

Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixture. Repeat with 2 more sheets. Tuck edges of filo down down sides of pan to create a rounded edge. Brush generously with butter mixture. Repeat for 5 remaining pies. Each pie will use 4 sheets on the bottom and 4 sheets on the top for a total of 8 sheets each.

Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be frozen unbaked. Bake directly from freezer, increasing baking time by at least 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    As for our national cusine, we don't really have one. We mostly eat things that originated in other countries.
    Speak for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_cuisine

ReputationRep:
    I went to a boarding school, and typically we ate either a fry up (sausage,bacon egg etc) or cereals/toast for breakfast.
    Then for lunch we had pastas/salad/shepherds pie type dishes. every friday was fish and chips
    for dinners we normally had less healthy food such as burgers chips etc. But most didnt eat much.

On top of this we also had 2 loaves of bread and a bottle of milk delivered to each kitchen in the boarding house each day. Each kitchen was for no more than 6/7 people.

We ate a LOT. but did so much sport it didnt matter. I doubt you will be having traditional montenegrin cuisine, though if you suggested it to the catering staff, they may do some as a one off. We used to have a seperate section a couple times a week for food from 'around the world'. Typically, this was sooo much nicer than the other stuff, so i always ate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djordje)
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat at least a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

A low bread diet is disturbing to you :eek:
    I'd ****ing hate to see what you'd think about seeing someone get their head blown off.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat [SIZE="5"]at least[/SIZE] a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

:rofl: Never heard of sandwiches?

ReputationRep:

X
    thanks. I ll try that too. It look similar to the ones we make in greece, which I love, so yeah! Ah damn, I am hungry now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    :rofl: Never heard of sandwiches?
    My breakfast is two sandwiches and burek (or ham and eggs)

ReputationRep:
    Fish and chips, Roast dinners, cooked breakfasts, shepherds pie, pie and mash, bangers and mash, stews, bread and butter pudding, soups, hammy cheesey eggys.

How do you manage to each overa loaf a day!?!

ReputationRep:
    Like someone has already said, we eat bread, but it's nothing to shout about. The stuff most brits eat is the horrible mass produced brand name bread i.e kings mill, hovis etc... Supermarkets like asda, tesco, sainsburys make their own bloomer loafs etc.. which is a bit better than the brand name stuff, but again it's still not great. If you want good bread like the bread you are probably used to, expect it to be fairly exspensive. Although try and find a local bakery or deli (not greggs) that do their own bread, you might be able to find it cheaper there than the supermarket.

You could also buy yourself a small bread oven (their only about £50-£60) and make your own bread, as british wheat and grain is really good, if you can be bothered with the hassle.

EDIT: I've just realised you are going to boarding school, where this probably wont be possible.

ReputationRep:
    I Eat about 4-8 slices a day depending if i can be asked

ReputationRep:
    thats like saying you heard we don't drink water.

ReputationRep:
    I can eat alot of french bread!

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious

ReputationRep:
    It does disturb me as it's most vital part of my meals
    Oh Christ, you'll get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeyShakey)
    I Eat about 4-8 slices a day depending if i can be asked
    You don't eat breakfast unless you are asked to? :confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.