Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I read the title, I thought it was going to be about how it was made using some sort of poison or something - not that we don't eat huge amounts.

ReputationRep:
    a loaf a day!? Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Contrad!ction.)
    When I read the title, I thought it was going to be about how it was made using some sort of poison or something - not that we don't eat huge amounts.
    I thought it would be referring to something like this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    I thought it would be referring to something like this!
    Haha, that did pop into my head but I couldn't remember where it came from, cheers for the link
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i pretty much have bread with every meal. it is bland

ReputationRep:
    I can go weeks without eating bread... In fact I can't even remember last time I ate it!
    Although, last week I went looking for some to dip in my soup but we had none
    Now i'm in the mood for some bread...
    But anyway, what does it matter if people don't eat bread that much? No ones gonna stop you from going out and buying more bread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You don't eat breakfast unless you are asked to? :confused:
    Haha i eat porridge for breakfast
    and maybe some yoghurts (muller fruit corners)

i normally eat bread for lunch(sandwhiches) or after school just in general like beans on toast, or with pasta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=QI Elf;30783415]
    You may see that fish and chips are one of our national dishes. This can be said to be true but it would be a mistake to think its eated very often. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate it (and I like it a lot). People also sometimes eat things such as curry, but I don't like it so never do.
    [QUOTE]

If you live on the coast like me fish and chips are eaten a lot more Sometimes once a week Unhealthy, yes, but otherwise my family eats well.

ReputationRep:
    I eat bread everyday :O
    Warburtons White Bread

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing this was all just a myth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mo...rl_of_Sandwich

and I guess that we do not eat these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

But again it is Wikipedia; should know better than to quote sucha an unreliable source :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Warm, flat beers in cans and a very, very greasy kebab. :coma:

Perfect night out. :yep:
    it is indeed goood old english night out :yep:
    a whole load of beer with the possibility of the occasional shot IF your feeling brave followed by a greasy kebab with soggy salad drenched in the sauce/sauces of your choice
    :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    A loaf a day.... I'm astounded.

There are other types of bread available - especially in speciality shops.

ReputationRep:
    this must be a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djordje)
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little
    Yes, we eat bread. Bread is very common here. There are bakeries and supermarkets where you can buy as much bread as you like. Admittedly the bread is not as good as some European bread, but it's better than American or Chinese breads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Don't have high expectations. What we Brits call "bread" is more of a manky, tasteless, mass-produced baked paste. Some people, if they have the time, make their own bread and this tends to be far more edible, but sadly the vast majority of the bread we use comes from the supermarket and should be consumed at your peril.
    I think that's an unfair stereotype. Supermarket bread here doesn't seem to be much worse (if at all) than supermarket bread in any country I've ever been to - France included.

And if you are that fussy about bread (most bread we eat comes from a supermarket as it's cheap yet still perfectly nice), I'm sure a local bakery will be able to produce a decent loaf to your liking.

(Original post by BlueJoker)
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    You may see that fish and chips are one of our national dishes. This can be said to be true but it would be a mistake to think its eated very often. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate it (and I like it a lot). People also sometimes eat things such as curry, but I don't like it so never do.
    If you live on the coast like me fish and chips are eaten a lot more Sometimes once a week Unhealthy, yes, but otherwise my family eats well.
    I think once a week is pretty normal anywhere really - you could be right but I've never really noticed people on the coast eating it more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I think that's an unfair stereotype. Supermarket bread here doesn't seem to be much worse (if at all) than supermarket bread in any country I've ever been to - France included.

And if you are that fussy about bread (most bread we eat comes from a supermarket as it's cheap yet still perfectly nice), I'm sure a local bakery will be able to produce a decent loaf to your liking.

I think once a week is pretty normal anywhere really - you could be right but I've never really noticed people on the coast eating it more often.
    I don't know ANYONE who has it once a week. I'm actually staggered by that suggestion. Really? People have them once a WEEK? But then I hardly ever have takeaways- like every couple of months, and thats when I'm at uni. I never ever have them at home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know ANYONE who has it once a week. I'm actually staggered by that suggestion. Really? People have them once a WEEK? But then I hardly ever have takeaways- like every couple of months, and thats when I'm at uni. I never ever have them at home.
    Different households I guess. My family have been having takeaways loads lately because we're getting our kitchen done up. About once a week I'll have a takeaway or make a dinner with my boyfriend. Both my parents work long hours too, so coming home and stopping at the chippy on the way is pretty normal, especially if you're starving and it's 9.30PM... my poor old dad

I know it's not very healthy to have takeaways that often, but otherwise we're healthy and we're a good weight, so I don't see the problem :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Different households I guess. My family have been having takeaways loads lately because we're getting our kitchen done up. About once a week I'll have a takeaway or make a dinner with my boyfriend. Both my parents work long hours too, so coming home and stopping at the chippy on the way is pretty normal, especially if you're starving and it's 9.30PM... my poor old dad

I know it's not very healthy to have takeaways that often, but otherwise we're healthy and we're a good weight, so I don't see the problem :rolleyes:
    True, it takes all kinds. Especially when you're having your kitchen done up- I remember lots of meals out at resturants and dinner at granny's house when we had ours done :love:

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't have it once a week (or ever considering I've vegetarian!) but I remember when I was growing up fish and chips would be our Friday night treat and most people seemed to do something similar.

Saying that, I guess as pizza/chinese etc. takeaways are so much more widespread now, people may be eating that instead of fish and chips.

ReputationRep:
    You can buy decent bread in most supermarkets/bakeries and that goes from sliced to baguette to hedgehog etc. If you're after good bread and care enough to buy some nice stuff you'll do fine here, branded bread isn't all bad either, some is really tasty.

As for food we eat it goes from classic British food (stews and sunday roasts as examples, and lots of desserts) to anglo-indian, anglo-chinese, thai, french, italian, mexican, japanese and other cuisines. Part of our food culture is that we sample many others - you should do fine for food here (especially in a city where you get supermarkets catering for people from other countries).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.