ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    this must be a joke
    Elaborate on why it must be a joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wangelo)
    Elaborate on why it must be a joke?
    1. it's not 'disturbing' as i imagined it to be when i read the title
    2. Britain is not a third world country and nearly every type of ethnicity is catered for
    3. continuing on from point 2, my high street is full of polish supermarkets etc
    4. how does someone eat a whole loaf of bread a day?
    5. britain barely has a national cuisine
    6. it just sounds rediculous of course we have bread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Depending on where your boarding school is, there's a greek pie shop in London near goodge street station, that looks like borek.
    Really? Hmmmm.....

ReputationRep:
    Bread is a big part of my diet. I have it with curries,pasta & salads....MMmm baguettes/crusty loaves/Naan/Paratha, Roti & Chapattis....

:sogood:

ReputationRep:
    No we only have chips and miners

ReputationRep:
    Yes we have bread in the UK. Most of our bread is made using the Chorleywood process, which produces bread in less time and using cheaper ingredients than traditional methods. The downside to this is in taste, texture and nutritional value. Artisan made bread is available in some areas but is quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I probably have a couple of slices of bread a week, if that. Unless I'm drunk, in which case I'll eat slice after slice of toast, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Bread's one of the most fat-people-causing things around right?

You must be huge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrydanmarin)
    Bread's one of the most fat-people-causing things around right?

You must be huge!
    I'm slim - Only 176 pounds and 6' 4.77" tall So I guess it's not fat-causing - or I enjoy too much sport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djordje)
    Burek is a Croatian-Serbian meat, cheese or vegetable pie made with flaky filo (also spelled "phyllo") dough.

There are myriad versions, including the coiled variety, among Bulgarians, Bosnians, Yugoslavians, and others. And, of course, there are the famous triangle-shaped Greek spanakopitas.

A slice of burek goes great with a glass of cold kefir.

Makes 6 servings of Cheese Burek

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    2 large eggs, beaten
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 (1-pound) package filo dough, thawed
    1/2 cup (1 sticks) butter, melted
    1/2 cup good-quality olive oil
    Preparation:

In a large bowl, mix together cheeses until light and fluffy. Add eggs and herbs, mixing well.

Separate filo dough into two piles of 24 sheets. Cut filo dough sheets in half. You should have two piles of 48 leaves. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together melted butter and olive oil. Using a pastry brush, butter 6 (8-inch) round shallow pans.

Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixure. Repeat with 2 more sheets and butter. Spread 1/6 of the cheese mixture on top and to the edges.

Lay down 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with butter mixture. Repeat with 2 more sheets. Tuck edges of filo down down sides of pan to create a rounded edge. Brush generously with butter mixture. Repeat for 5 remaining pies. Each pie will use 4 sheets on the bottom and 4 sheets on the top for a total of 8 sheets each.

Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be frozen unbaked. Bake directly from freezer, increasing baking time by at least 15 minutes.
    obozavam burek sa sirom!! :P

ReputationRep:
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat at least a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

I'm a Brit and we I haven't seen 'Burek' before, I guess it depends on whereabouts you'll be but most of the cities have a wealth of international cuisine; indian food can be especially good in Britain.

In Britain, we would typically eat potatoes as the main starchy food in our meals but also eat pasta and bread, depending on what the dish is. Although I shouldn't worry if you have a particular fetish for bread since there are lots of shops so you can always buy your 7 loaves a week!

ReputationRep:
    As a family of four we go through one loaf (of Warburtons) every two days. This used for sandwiches and toast.

We go through more out of term time. Bread very rarely accompanies the main meal.

ReputationRep:
    i loooove bread, i eat loads of it but definitely not a loaf a day!
    thats crazy talk :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Don't have high expectations. What we Brits call "bread" is more of a manky, tasteless, mass-produced baked paste. Some people, if they have the time, make their own bread and this tends to be far more edible, but sadly the vast majority of the bread we use comes from the supermarket and should be consumed at your peril.
    Here in Korea, and especially the US bread is disgustingly sweet, even if only a little sweet you can taste some sort of sweetener in it. British bread is delicious in comparison!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Admittedly the bread is not as good as some European bread, but it's better than American or Chinese breads.

THIS, I agree completely!!

ReputationRep:
    Of course we have and eat bread...

Why is it so disturbing anyway? When you come over here, just go to the shop and buy a loaf of bread each day if it's that important to you!!

I think I only eat a few slices a day. Depends what I'm eating. I'll have 2 slices for a sammich, 2 for toast and 1 with a fry but I won't eat all of that in one day. Most I have in a day is 1 or 2 slices...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard an (at least to me) disturbing rumor that Brits don't eat bread at all - at best they eat a little. In my country bread is consumed in big quantities - I eat at least a loaf of bread every day (around 800-900 grams). I'll be in a British boarding school next year so I'd like to know if this is true. It'd also be helpful to write what do British normally eat, IOW what does your national cuisine consist of.
    Thanks.
    P.S. Anyone interested in other country's cuisine, check out the article about Montenegrin cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_cuisine
    P.P.S. Is burek made anywhere in Britain? Burek is this

Unfortunately, the only burek I've come across in the UK is from a Turkish restaurant in Manchester. I'm sure there's more around somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet

ReputationRep:
    What most people here consider bread as being is nothing like what you find on the continent. It's mass produced and generally not very good. That's why a lot of people eat comparatively little of it. If I decide I want to eat some bread I'll get some from the actual bakery or something, but you usually have to go out of your way to find it and I doubt they'd have that kind of bread at your boarding school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    What most people here consider bread as being is nothing like what you find on the continent. It's mass produced and generally not very good. That's why a lot of people eat comparatively little of it. If I decide I want to eat some bread I'll get some from the actual bakery or something, but you usually have to go out of your way to find it and I doubt they'd have that kind of bread at your boarding school.
    Everyone here is saying that, but I don't know anyone who eats sliced bread from the supermarket. Who are all these people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Everyone here is saying that, but I don't know anyone who eats sliced bread from the supermarket. Who are all these people?
    My flatmate probably goes through a loaf of Hovis every two days. His diet is generally terrible though so it doesn't shock me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.