Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else find really intelligent guys (oxbridge types) attractive? watch

ReputationRep:
    The majority of of guys in this thread now feel better because they may be able to use those 7 programming languages to get some action....

Its not that easy lads.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is extremely attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I can see how this is going down..

"Inject me with your chromosomes"....

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I find this whole thread very amusing.
    Actions speak louder than words, as they say.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'd be attracted to someone that's intelligent I don't necessarily think that's the be all and end all. In honesty someone telling me they go to Oxbridge would probably put me off. If I look at the people from my school that went to Oxbridge and the people that went to other red brick uni's, the ones in the latter catergory are people I'd much prefer to be friends as with as they're less studious and a lot more fun.
    I always imagine Oxbridge to be really snobby. I'm quite sure it's not, but I'm really not into posh boys and I disagree with the concept of private education so I doubt they'd like me either

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I wouldn't state Oxbridge as a prerequisite, because I am pretty sure there are some d******ds there, as well as people I probably wouldn't find attractive regardless, as well as there being great people who don't go to those Unis.

But yes, intelligence and especially creativity is a must for me. Unfortunately I'm not very lucky at finding men with the latter quality, but that is another story...

I expect most people would like their partner to be a certain degree of clever so they are at least capable of establishing worthwhile, mind blowing and interesting conversation with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Am I the first one to say that just because you got into oxbridge it doesn't mean you are intelligent. A levels aren't a measure of intelligence. (note: I'm not an angry jealous oxbrudge reject ¬_¬)
    A levels are definitely not a measure of intelligence and they are only used as a basic screening process for oxbridge applicants.

Also I'm pretty sure you have to be intelligent to get past the interviews which weed out the people who can get the grades for exams but not much else.

ReputationRep:
    my ex was an absoloute dip ****, and I have to say it wasn't very attractive. I want a guy to be intellegent, but not necessarily "smart" if that makes sense. I like guys who are aware of whats happening in the world, has hobbies, and knows how to have a decent conversation. I don't fancy totally nerdy guys who lock themselves in their room and study all the time, they don't even need to have gone to uni, just a interesting, intellegent guy.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah! Intelligence is a very attractive quality. Unless they rub it in your faces and think they're so much better than people who aren't as smart, that's not attractive at all.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot of girls want to be the smarter ones in a relationship but I'd rather not. I'd like to be with someone who's smart, maybe even smarter than me, but then sometimes I think that I don't want to come across as dumb compared to my bf (and maybe most times smart people go for equally smart people..?) so maybe if I do have a bf that's smarter than me I'd like it so it doesn't bother him that I'm not as smart and that other people don't noticeably see that I'm not as smart.

So as I said being with someone who is smarter than me doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I don't think I'd be comfortable being with a genius, I'd feel really crap about myself otherwise and not good enough for them :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Purely intelligent people, those verging to be a genius have a lifestyle in which they don't consider companionship a priority. They don't have time for girls/family, so it's not like the general dating population will include an Einstein, a Newton, a Da Vinci.
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to go for someone of less intelligence than me actually..ones where I have to correct their spelling.

I might change my type if this relationship doesn't work out!

ReputationRep:
    Big difference between emotional intelligence and intellectual intelligence.

Would be interesting to know how many of these OXford types you date?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.