Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am really bad when answering those 10 mark, essay style sort of questions in ICT.

Has anyone got any tips?

If you want to know what the question is... it is below. However it is not just this question (it is all the long questions).

"ICT has had a big impact on the home. Illustrating your answer with suitable examples, discuss both the benefits and drawbacks of the impact of ICT on 'home entertainment'"

I am good when answering the 1 mark, 2 mark, 3 mark and 4 mark questions, but anything above that I struggle on.

ReputationRep:
    Write yourself a plan to begin with, preferably 5 FOR points and 5 AGAINST points that are suitable for the question then from there just create a simple argument that you must've done at some point in GCSE English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pnorm)
    Write yourself a plan to begin with, preferably 5 FOR points and 5 AGAINST points that are suitable for the question then from there just create a simple argument that you must've done at some point in GCSE English.
    Ok thanks. Never done that at GCSE English.... my teacher was terrible. Instead we just drew pictures of characters from books in lessons lol

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    anyone else?
    Is this A level or GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Javindo)
    Is this A level or GCSE?
    AS level

ReputationRep:
    Have three paragraphs. The first discuss the advantages. The second discuss the disadvantages. The third make a conclusion. You need to do the last one if you want to gain full marks. Maybe you're over thinking it, it's really not that hard.

Don't worry about writing 'well', just put down the points, make a conclusion and move on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    AS level
    OK there can be mixed opinions on this, however for most boards at A level it is a very good idea to use sub-titles/headings. By this I mean the following:

Step 1: Make a plan as discussed above of your answer; think of some "areas" in which the subject matter occurs. For the example of ICT in the home: Social networking, time spent with family, reduction in other activities, improved living standards etc.
    Step 2: Break this down into I would say 3 key topics. For the example it would be a good idea to go with "Social networking", "Time spent with family" and "Technology replacing other activities"
    Step 3: Write your answer as follows:

ICT has had a major impact on day to day living in the past few decades, significantly within the home. Bla bla bla /introduction.

Social networking within the home
    The implementation of ICT into the home has lead to the wider availability of cheaper forms of social networking. The availability and spread of these technologies has lead to both benefits and drawbacks for users in the home. [List 2 benefits and 2 drawbacks, conclude]

Impact on family time
    The personal nature of much technology such as personal computers and mobile phones could lead to a reduction in time previously spent by families as a whole, for example watching the television together or talking. [List 2 benefits and 2 drawbacks, conclude]

Technology replacing other activities
    ICT opens up avenues of entertainment and recreation unforeseen in previous generations. These in turn can replace other activities such as physical exercise, board games and TV. [List 2 benefits and 2 drawbacks, conclude]

Minor conclusion summarising all 3 areas, providing a slight level of conclusion about whether ICT has made improvements in the home etc.
    Note how easily you now have 3 significant paragraphs each with 4 points and a bit extra at the beginning/end of your answer. If your points are all valid and you keep to this structure, the examiner will find it very easy to pick 10 points out of it all.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Javindo)
    OK there can be mixed opinions on this, however for most boards at A level it is a very good idea to use sub-titles/headings. By this I mean the following:

Step 1: Make a plan as discussed above of your answer; think of some "areas" in which the subject matter occurs. For the example of ICT in the home: Social networking, time spent with family, reduction in other activities, improved living standards etc.
    Step 2: Break this down into I would say 3 key topics. For the example it would be a good idea to go with "Social networking", "Time spent with family" and "Technology replacing other activities"
    Step 3: Write your answer as follows:

Note how easily you now have 3 significant paragraphs each with 4 points and a bit extra at the beginning/end of your answer. If your points are all valid and you keep to this structure, the examiner will find it very easy to pick 10 points out of it all.

Good luck.
    Thanks, that is really helpful and really well explained. I will practice now on some past papers. Cheers!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.