Turn on thread page Beta

dont feel confident enough to host a party watch

for years i havent felt confident enough to host a birthday party. ive always considered myself not worth the effort, so no one would come/everyone would have a bad time. so i just havent hosted a party.

im 17 now and im dreading my 18th birthday which is in a few months. what i wanted to ask was, has anyone had similar experiences or have any advice for me? is this a normal way to feel? :confused:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    for years i havent felt confident enough to host a birthday party. ive always considered myself not worth the effort, so no one would come/everyone would have a bad time. so i just havent hosted a party.

im 17 now and im dreading my 18th birthday which is in a few months. what i wanted to ask was, has anyone had similar experiences or have any advice for me? is this a normal way to feel? :confused:
    I think what you're experiencing is not uncommon. Hard as it may be, try not to take the success of any party as a measure of your popularity. It really isn't.

Advice-wise, remember that some people are not going to bother responding to an invitation, which is quite rude of them, especially if you remind them. Out of the people who say they're coming, some will a) genuinely mean it and turn up, and b) some will tell you they want to come but obviously won't mention that their attendance is conditional on them not finding something better to do (not nice-especially if you're organising something expensive/you need to know numbers), and c) some will genuinely have late reasons why they'll have to cancel. I would say it's a good turnout if over 50% of people who say they're going to come do actually turn up.

Regarding venue, it's best to get somewhere that's not too big- that way, if people bail out on you, the place won't look empty, but if more people turn up that expected, it'll be bustling, and you'll look really popular.

Be prepared to be let down by some people. You may often find out who your real friends are. But that's a good thing in the long-run, plus there's no real reason for you not to have a good time with the people who do turn up.

ReputationRep:
    i cheat by just having a joint birthday with my friends with birthdays that are close to mine

Then don't host a party? It's not that important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Do you have anyone you can join with for your 18th? Then you could have something bigger, and you wouldn't have all the weight of the party on you.

ReputationRep:
    I get that every year. Safest option, hit the pub.

I did have a party for my 18th. Was basically a case of going back there after the pub and getting very very drunk.

I dont remember anything past 3am and woke up in a pool of vomit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.