Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

who would you choose? parents or dream boyfriend/girlfriend? watch

Announcements

Say your parents wouldnt accept you being with the guy u love because of their race/religion etc yet they were your dream bf/gf and perfect in every way what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    I would ignore them and stay with my partner.

ReputationRep:
    my mother would never do that, but if she did i would ignore and stick with the girl.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in this situation.

I'm choosing my boyfriend. If my parents can't accept me as I am and accept the person I'm with then they can stuff it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If it really was the dream partner and I could see it lasting a lifetime, I'd go with the partner :yes:

It's a hard call though. I've only ever come across two people I'd think it worth sacrificing my family for, if I liked them that way (they're friends). It would have to be someone pretty damn special :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Be with them anyway, but then again I doubt my mum would even know as I barely see her and if she did she isn't a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Husband/wife maybe ditch the parents for. Boyfriend/girlfriend - no way. That's far too transient.

ReputationRep:
    Unless I thought they had a valid enough reason to disapprove of the boyfriend, I'd probably go with the boyfriend. The parents would probably eventually come around anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Parents. I value my own flesh and blood over anything else this world has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally try to work around it, but curse them for quite possibly indoctrinating me into religion in first place (if I were the religious one) or apologise to them for not conforing to the ideal that the woman of my dreams is anything but white/just happens to be relgious. I'll be alllll like "deal with it"

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, I am a firm non believer in true love at such a young age anyway. So it's purely hypothetical

ReputationRep:
    My mum would never do this.

But being aware that this is hypothetical... it's hard. If I was absolutely sure they were perfect in every way and I loved them to pieces, and my mum was just being irrational... I'd probably choose my partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Unless I thought they had a valid enough reason to disapprove of the boyfriend, I'd probably go with the boyfriend. The parents would probably eventually come around anyway.
    This :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you shouldn't really ditch your parents because in reality, most relationships dont 'last forver-till the day we die' etc. They're the ones who are gonna be there for you, when - if, it doesnt work. However, they shouldn't make you choose, and you should probably highlight that fact to them. Tell them you need support, not to be judged, and that you cant help who you fall for... because, lets face it, we cant. And if all fails, date him behind their back.. Everyone's happy!

ReputationRep:
    If it was the parents saying "You can't be with her because we don't approve." I would go with the girl.

If it was the girl saying "If you want to be with me you must cut off your parents forever" I would tell the girl to do one.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, but it would probably be parents since there are qualities that I look in a partner that my parent also want (such as same religion etc..)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Partner.

My big brother was in exactly the same situation, got married, Dad refused to go to the wedding, they haven't spoken since.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go with the partner. My parents are the ones forcing me to make the choice, so they'd lose out. If it was my partner declaring the ultimatum, I'd choose my parents.

ReputationRep:
    i would probably pick with the partner - i am not saying that i have one, but that is what i would choose

you cant make your parents control you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with my parents on most things really, and when stuff does gowrong they aren't there to help. So I'd always choose someone else over them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.