Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AV voting system? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So many have been saying that the AV system could mean that parties whose vote was third can win an election? How does this work?

ReputationRep:
    If enough people have their votes redistributed, then that third-placed candidate can end up winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    If enough people have their votes redistributed, then that third-placed candidate can end up winning.
    May just be me being an idiot, but how do they end up winning? Is it because those with a third choice the same are more numerous than those without, but the first step ends up as a sort of hung parliament?

I'm really confuzzled :/

ReputationRep:
    If the Lib Dems come third place in a result which looks like:

Labour 29%
    Con 27%
    Lib Dem 23%
    Independent 10%
    Respect 10%
    UKIP 8%
    BNP 3%

Then the second preference for the Independent, Respect, UKIP and BNP candidates could be for the Lib Dem candidate. In that situation, 31% of votes would be redistributed to Lib Dems and they would win the majority with 54%. The situation where 31% of voters would all have Lib Dem as their second choice is exaggerated but basically, in a slim contest between the top three candidates, second-choice preferences for eliminated candidates can put a third place candidate into first place.

ReputationRep:
    Watchthis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E19pmc-Jhpo

ReputationRep:
    oh I understand thanks. But no, I think we should have AV, even if it isn't perfect. But the fact that smaller parties have lots of power is quite a worrying perspective to me :/.

God that guy's voice is annoying.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.