Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why not go bridge? Then with a latest Panasonic or Canon you can go from macro to well, the Panasonic FZ18 (three generations old now) on my desk goes up to a 35mm equivalent of 504mm. Moved from that up to the Panasonic G2 micro 4/3, didn't go up to DSLR as the lenses for DSLRs are much bigger - my 45-200mm Panasonic Lens is much smaller than the equivalent Nikon DSLR one, although it is still fairly big compared to a Bridge.
    However, if you go bridge you will sacrifice some image quality due to the size of the actual sensor (the part that mimics the film) and ISO range/performance. That said, they can be much cheaper, and a quick search for FZ18s like mine on Ebay shows that they can go for arounnd £70 lol. Bridge cameras can usually take filters as well, so you can put your UV filter on the end to protect the lens (advisable) when you get it, and you can put your Polariser on as well etc. Most Bridge cameras also come with a hood as well, so that aspect is covered, and they quite often still have all your "Auto" modes if you don't want to go full manual just yet. And, although some entry level DSLRs and the micro 4/3s do (well the Olympus ones are slightly odd in this regard) they all have "live view" although it is merely usually another LCD screen that you look at with one eye...

Yes I know, I like bridge cameras and am slightly biased

Do not get the Sony Nex (the autofocus telephoto lens costs > £600).

Something like:

sounds good
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2011
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.