Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As it says, just wondering as its only an extra £3 a week but do you need one?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need one, as such. I never had to wait to use the toilet and can only remember having to wait once for the shower. And there will always be another one nearby, if you do have to wait. Everyone will have different timetables and therefore will be coming and going at different times.

Still, £3 a week isn't much more. What uni is this? It was a lot more that that for an en-suite at my uni. If you want one, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is more a personal thing. There was a girl in my year who figured she'd have to have an ensuite she spend so much time in the bathroom and another who decided she couldn't afford it but turned up with a massive box of cleaning products and latax gloves (this was admitadely an extreme case).

But, does it affect the size of your room (i.e. is it then smaller and does that matter to you) and how many people would you be sharing a bathroom with without an ensuite?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was definitely worth it. Mine was more like £10-£15 more a week, £3 is nothing! The shared bathrooms/showers at my friends halls were all pretty unappealing tbh. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if I didn't have the choice, obviously, but if the choice is there I think I'd always go for ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would say that it isn't worth paying extra for an ensuite, but that's partly because at my uni they cost about £10-£20 more than a standard room. If you do go for an ensuite, remember that some unis won't clean ensuites for you but they will clean shared bathrooms. If you're considering it because you don't like the idea of queuing for the toilet, remember that since everyone in the flat will probably be on different courses, everyone will have different schedules so you'll rarely if ever have to wait for the toilet/shower.

Also, as Alian said, at some unis, ensuite rooms are smaller than the standard version due to the space required for the ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, it was SO worth having an ensuite when I was in halls. Having had experience of non ensuite halls when I used to stay with my ex, I was majorly put off them so, when I went to uni, I paid the extra for ensuite and it was soo much better. I just like having my own bathroom to myself and knowing I can leave my stuff in there and that I can use it when I want to rather than when it's free.

ReputationRep:
    For £3 I would say definitely go for it. I had one in my first and second years and I really loved just being able to roll into it in the mornings!

But of course, saying that, having a non-en suite room was no trouble at all! I just preferred it with!

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with shared bathroom facilities at all, I would personally keep the money for other things.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.