Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya,
    Im just finishing uni in America and plan on returning back to the UK, but I'm struggling to 'compare' my marks to my equivalents. I am unsure which universities are out of my league, and what would be safety schools.

Im graduating with a BA History, GPA of about 3.8. From my minimal, if inconsistent, research seems to point to that meaning its about a 2:1 ?

Any help would be appreciated

edit: probably worth noting that the places i've looked at only state a gpa of 3.0 is needed to apply, which seems a bit low to me...

ReputationRep:
    A GPA of 3.8 is ridiculously good seeing as the max score is 4.0
    That's definitely a high 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jcm88)
    Heya,
    Im just finishing uni in America and plan on returning back to the UK, but I'm struggling to 'compare' my marks to my equivalents. I am unsure which universities are out of my league, and what would be safety schools.

Im graduating with a BA History, GPA of about 3.8. From my minimal, if inconsistent, research seems to point to that meaning its about a 2:1 ?

Any help would be appreciated

edit: probably worth noting that the places i've looked at only state a gpa of 3.0 is needed to apply, which seems a bit low to me...
    Entry requirements on postgrad courses are a bit misleading, they will set them low, to encourage applications, then they will allow on the best people until the fill up the course. This could be someone who did very well as an undergrad, or it could be someone who didn't, but has been working in a the field at a lower level for a few years and has picked up a lot of experience.

So basically, just because they will, in theory let in someone with a 2:2 (or a 3.0 GPA), doesn't mean they actually will, but in reality all that really matters is how good your competition is, which is why oxford will say you need a 2.1 as will Russell group universities and as will post 1992 universities, but oxford will be harder to get into, because of the competition.

One other point however, is that postgrad courses are a brilliant way for universities to make a lot of money, so what really matters, is how willing you are to pay.

ReputationRep:
    heh. Well, money isn't a massive issue, I was more worried that students from American universities would have a rough time getting in. I figured a minimum of 3.0 was merely what they would 'look' at. I have no experience in the field, so we'll just have to see!

A high first you say? Well, that is good news. Hopefully I'll get to visit an advisor next time I'm back.

Thanks for the information!

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit surprised by that too. I don't know where you have applied yet but when I got my offers from the unis, all of the conditional offers never required me to have more than a 3.4 GPA. A 3.8 should be more than sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherwos)
    I was a bit surprised by that too. I don't know where you have applied yet but when I got my offers from the unis, all of the conditional offers never required me to have more than a 3.4 GPA. A 3.8 should be more than sufficient.
    The offer they made from experience does not reflect the level they're expecting you to get. Imperial make me an offer which was "being awarded your degree", but it hardly means they take everyone with a degree, isn't it ?

Some uni even ask for silly conditional, for example Glasgow asked me for 16/20 while Edinburgh 13/20 (and in my field Edinburgh >> Glasgow and 16/20 is pretty hard to get in France). I asked one of my teacher about it and he simply told me to not pay attention to offer conditions ( as long as I can meet them).

Also I never get an offer I was not able to meet, when they give you one it seems to mean they want you in but as long as you've not been awarded your degree they have to put a condition about it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.