Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    ok well looking at the following stats I beg to differ

LSE:
    Economics (A*AA) - 3326 applicants for 210 places = 16 applicants per place
    Law (A*AA)- 2801 applicants for 188 places = 14 applicants per place
    International relations (AAB) - 1220 applicants for 57 places = 21 applicants per place
    Management (AAB) - 1354 applicants for 58 places = 23 applicants per place
    History (AAB) - 590 applicants for 31 places = 19 applicants per place

The latter 3 being more competitive and yet having lower entry requirements:hmmm:

But that's just my take on it, may be wrong ...probabaly am, but hey ho, life goes on
    So you didn't understand my "in a sticky, lagging manner" comment then?

Okay, let me revise my original statement. Standard offers are a function of just demand. Economics and Law gets considerably more applicants than History or Management, and so to make the workload a lot easier, they can just discard all the applicants who aren't predicted A*AA.

A few years ago all of LSE's entry requirements were AAB. Due to the massive increase in demand for some subjects, i.e. for Economics and Law, they upped the grades, but due to the "sticky" nature of standard offers, the others haven't be upgraded yet (and to be fair, courses such as History, Geography, IR and Management get far smaller numbers of applicants than LSE's Law and Economics courses).

If you think standard offers represent the calibre of a course, you are sadly mistaken. For example, Sussex hands out A*AA offers for Chemistry. Does that mean that this course is of a higher calibre than Oxford Chemistry (which hands out AAA offers)? There are hundreds of other examples I could give you, but you get the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    So you didn't understand my "in a sticky, lagging manner" comment then?

Okay, let me revise my original statement. Standard offers are a function of just demand. Economics and Law gets considerably more applicants than History or Management, and so to make the workload a lot easier, they can just discard all the applicants who aren't predicted A*AA.

A few years ago all of LSE's entry requirements were AAB. Due to the massive increase in demand for some subjects, i.e. for Economics and Law, they upped the grades, but due to the "sticky" nature of standard offers, the others haven't be upgraded yet (and to be fair, courses such as History, Geography, IR and Management get far smaller numbers of applicants that LSE's Law and Economics courses).

If you think standard offers represent the calibre of a course, you are sadly mistaken. For example, Sussex hands out A*AA offers for Chemistry. Does that mean that this course is of a higher calibre than Oxford Chemistry (which hands out AAA offers)? There are hundreds of other examples I could give you, but you get the point.

OK I get your point

Sussex give out A*AA offers? I believe the highest offer for any course involving Chemistry at Sussex is AAB? which is a combined BSc and MChem?
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2012/1663/24748#tabs-3

But I do understand your point, higher demand = higher entry grades to filter off the crappy candidates....why higher? because the unis can, that's why!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    OK I get your point

Sussex give out A*AA offers? I believe the highest offer for any course involving Chemistry at Sussex is AAB? which is a combined BSc and MChem?
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2012/1663/24748#tabs-3

But I do understand your point, higher demand = higher entry grades to filter off the crappy candidates....why higher? because the unis can, that's why!!!
    Someone on TSR has an A*AA offer for MChem at Sussex....or maybe it was Surrey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherryblossom4you)
    exactly!

put what right?
    Why would they put LSE on its own? cause LSE is apart of the University of London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    Why would they put LSE on its own? cause LSE is apart of the University of London
    haha good question! i was wondering too, but maybe its because they put emphasis on LSE? i dont know, but kcl is part of the UoL :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    To be honest, Warwick is head and shoulders superior to King's for any programs related to business or finance. This isn't even a close call.

If you think you can make it into Warwick, go for it. But if you think it's unsafe to withdraw King's, don't take chances. Warwick is very hard to get into.

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2010-2011

1. Cambridge
    2. Warwick
    3. Manchester
    4. London (LSE, Imperial, UCL)
    5. Oxford

Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath
    Durham
    Leeds
    Edinburgh
    Birmingham
    Loughborough
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    16. Cardiff
    17. Aston
    18. Strathclyde
    19. Newcastle
    20. Exeter

Take note that King'd didn't even make it in the top 20.

Source: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf
    Sorry to drag this up but Lol, yes it did. I know someone who worked on this report, and London represents UoL

From page 26:
    The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the 2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London) and Oxford
    King's falls under UoL. The reason Imperial is mentioned separately is because a few years ago Imperial started to award their own degrees, not UoL ones. I don't know if the same can be said for LSE though.

Now obviously UoL have their rankings among themselves with LSE being better at economics etc.

ReputationRep:
    Turn down KCL? wow I wish I was as cool as you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studient)
    Sorry to drag this up but Lol, yes it did. I know someone who worked on this report, and London represents UoL

From page 26:

King's falls under UoL. The reason Imperial is mentioned separately is because a few years ago Imperial started to award their own degrees, not UoL ones. I don't know if the same can be said for LSE though.

Now obviously UoL have their rankings among themselves with LSE being better at economics etc.
    LSE, UCL and KCL all award their own degrees now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Turn down KCL? wow I wish I was as cool as you...
    why do I sense some sarcasm there

ReputationRep:

From page 26:

wheyyy, I knew it

there's no way KCL would not have been included in the top 20 unis....it may not be the best, but its still prestigious enough to be in the top 20

ReputationRep:
    oh stop it

ReputationRep:
    I Wouldn't. Is it worth the risk?? Depends how much you want it though I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    oh stop it
    can't blame him though :L

ReputationRep:

From page 26:

I'm sorry; but I find that hard to believe. There are way many more colleges that UofL has that it's hard to say they all score better than Oxford for employment prospects. I can understand why Warwick and Manchester were ranked higher because they both have prestigious business schools, which are large so there are many to fish out, but the other UofL colleges don't have good business schools, and are quite small, in terms of population, so there are very few candidates to select from. For example, I doubt if SOAS can attract many employers to visit their campus. I don't think banks would go there. The same is true for the other UofL colleges. They're quite small -- some of them aren't probably even in the employer's radar. And the report was very specific. It says:

The five universities most-often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers in
    2010-2011 are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (including Imperial
    College
    , University College and the London School of Economics) and Oxford.

The top 3 UofL colleges were specifically mentioned. King's, if it were included, would have been mentioned as well, and so was SOAS, Queen Mary, Birkbeck, Goldsmiths, Royal Holloway and a lot more, but were not.

The report can also indicate: ALL U of L colleges. But it did not.

I'm sorry that I'm a bit cynical. But the report was very specific. I do not have reason to understand it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, Warwick is head and shoulders superior to King's for any programs related to business or finance. This isn't even a close call.

If you think you can make it into Warwick, go for it. But if you think it's unsafe to withdraw King's, don't take chances. Warwick is very hard to get into.

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2010-2011

1. Cambridge
    2. Warwick
    3. Manchester
    4. London (LSE, Imperial, UCL)
    5. Oxford

Nottingham
    Bristol
    Bath
    Durham
    Leeds
    Edinburgh
    Birmingham
    Loughborough
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    16. Cardiff
    17. Aston
    18. Strathclyde
    19. Newcastle
    20. Exeter

Take note that King'd didn't even make it in the top 20.

Source: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf
    Is this just for 'business'? That's certainly not the case for medicine, dentistry or law (you know, 'real' subjects)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marrythenight)
    Is this just for 'business'? That's certainly not the case for medicine, dentistry or law (you know, 'real' subjects)
    Mate, did you read the report?

On page 8 it says:

It is these employers that are included in the research for The Graduate Market in 2011 report:

Accenture
    Airbus
    Aldi
    Allen & Overy
    Arcadia Group
    Army
    Arup
    Asda
    AstraZeneca
    Atkins
    BAE Systems
    Bain & Company
    Baker & Mckenzie
    Balfour Beatty
    Barclays Bank
    Barclays Capital
    BBC
    BDO Stoy Hayward
    Bloomberg
    BNP Paribas
    Boots Company
    Boston Consulting Group
    BP
    BT
    Cadbury
    Cancer Research UK
    Centrica
    Citi
    Civil Service
    Clifford Chance
    Credit Suisse
    Deloitte
    Deutsche Bank
    Diageo
    DLA Piper
    E.ON
    EDF
    Ernst & Young
    ExxonMobil
    Foreign Office
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    GCHQ
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Goldman Sachs
    Google
    Grant Thornton
    Herbert Smith
    Hogan Lovells
    HSBC
    IBM
    Jaguar Land Rover
    John Lewis
    J.P. Morgan
    KPMG
    L’Oréal
    Lidl
    Linklaters
    Lloyd’s
    Lloyds Banking Group
    Local Government
    Marks & Spencer
    Mars
    McDonald's Restaurants
    McKinsey & Company
    Merrill Lynch
    MI5 - The Security Service
    Microsoft
    Ministry of Defence
    Morgan Stanley
    Nestlé
    Network Rail
    NHS
    npower
    Nuclear Graduates
    Oxfam
    Penguin
    Police
    PricewaterhouseCoopers
    Procter & Gamble
    QinetiQ
    RAF
    RBS Group
    Rolls-Royce
    Royal Navy
    Saatchi & Saatchi
    Sainsbury’s
    Santander
    Shell
    Siemens
    Sky
    Slaughter & May
    Sony
    Teach First
    Tesco
    The Co-operative Group
    Transport for London
    UBS
    Unilever
    Vodafone
    WPP

ReputationRep:
    Mate, did you read the report?

On page 8 it says:

It is these employers that are included in the research for The Graduate Market in 2011 report:

Accenture
    Airbus
    Aldi
    Allen & Overy
    Arcadia Group
    Army
    Arup
    Asda
    AstraZeneca
    Atkins
    BAE Systems
    Bain & Company
    Baker & Mckenzie
    Balfour Beatty
    Barclays Bank
    Barclays Capital
    BBC
    BDO Stoy Hayward
    Bloomberg
    BNP Paribas
    Boots Company
    Boston Consulting Group
    BP
    BT
    Cadbury
    Cancer Research UK
    Centrica
    Citi
    Civil Service
    Clifford Chance
    Credit Suisse
    Deloitte
    Deutsche Bank
    Diageo
    DLA Piper
    E.ON
    EDF
    Ernst & Young
    ExxonMobil
    Foreign Office
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    GCHQ
    GlaxoSmithKline
    Goldman Sachs
    Google
    Grant Thornton
    Herbert Smith
    Hogan Lovells
    HSBC
    IBM
    Jaguar Land Rover
    John Lewis
    J.P. Morgan
    KPMG
    L’Oréal
    Lidl
    Linklaters
    Lloyd’s
    Lloyds Banking Group
    Local Government
    Marks & Spencer
    Mars
    McDonald's Restaurants
    McKinsey & Company
    Merrill Lynch
    MI5 - The Security Service
    Microsoft
    Ministry of Defence
    Morgan Stanley
    Nestlé
    Network Rail
    NHS
    npower
    Nuclear Graduates
    Oxfam
    Penguin
    Police
    PricewaterhouseCoopers
    Procter & Gamble
    QinetiQ
    RAF
    RBS Group
    Rolls-Royce
    Royal Navy
    Saatchi & Saatchi
    Sainsbury’s
    Santander
    Shell
    Siemens
    Sky
    Slaughter & May
    Sony
    Teach First
    Tesco
    The Co-operative Group
    Transport for London
    UBS
    Unilever
    Vodafone
    WPP
    lmao I certainly don't think that your link applies to the law world. The magic circle law firms recruit from their top 5-10 universities which most would agree are:

(1) Oxford
    (2) Cambridge
    (3) UCL
    (4) King's
    (5) LSE
    (6) Warwick
    (7) Bristol
    etc

Please don't comment on fields in which you are not clued up. A blanket guide will not cover specific sectors.

EDIT - Sorry I just saw your list of universities - LOL. You think a magic circle firm would recruit an undergrad with a 2:1 from Cardiff or Aston over an undergrad from King's Law School with a 2:1. You are talking absolute rubbish.

And double lols for your employers list which juxtaposes Allen & Overy and Herbert Smith with McDonalds Restaurants!

Please stop posting misinformation!

ReputationRep:
    l!
    Read the article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    Read the article.
    I've read it. It's unreliable for law. It's a very general guide for graduates across a broad range of subjects at a broad range of universities. I rely on LegalWeek for information regarding law firms and recruitment. Any table juxtaposing a magic circle law firm with McDonalds must be treated with several pinches of high concentrate sea salt.

Go into the legal section of this forum and ask the actual law graduates from which universities top law firms recruit. I can tell you from personal experience that the top firms are ALWAYS at King's.

ReputationRep:
    lmao I certainly don't think that your link applies to the law world. The magic circle law firms recruit from their top 5-10 universities which most would agree are:

(1) Oxford
    (2) Cambridge
    (3) UCL
    (4) King's
    (5) LSE
    (6) Warwick
    (7) Bristol
    etc

Please don't comment on fields in which you are not clued up. A blanket guide will not cover specific sectors.

EDIT - Sorry I just saw your list of universities - LOL. You think a magic circle firm would recruit an undergrad with a 2:1 from Cardiff or Aston over an undergrad from King's Law School with a 2:1. You are talking absolute rubbish.

And double lols for your employers list which juxtaposes Allen & Overy and Herbert Smith with McDonalds Restaurants!

Please stop posting misinformation!
    Oh, I don't think we're simply talking about opportunities for law graduates here... :rolleyes:

The OP was particularly interested in management and finance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.