Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help needed: I have to create an office wardrobe on a budget Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR

I'm starting a new job on the 18th, which requires an office wardrobe when I am not undertaking fieldwork. I have been working in the conservation sector so most of my work clothes are of the outdoor variety so wholly inappropriate. I actually only have one smart outfit that I wore for interviews. I'm female by the way.

I don't want to spend much money as I am trying to save so can anyone suggest some key items and combinations that won't make it look as if I have very few clothes? If you can recommend particular shops that are good on a budget then please do. I live near Manchester so I have access to most high street shops.

I currently have the following:

smart navy blue trousers
    navy blue and white striped top
    grey blazer
    black suit blazer
    navy blue flat shoes

Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Hello TSR

I'm starting a new job on the 18th, which requires an office wardrobe when I am not undertaking fieldwork. I have been working in the conservation sector so most of my work clothes are of the outdoor variety so wholly inappropriate. I actually only have one smart outfit that I wore for interviews. I'm female by the way.

I don't want to spend much money as I am trying to save so can anyone suggest some key items and combinations that won't make it look as if I have very few clothes? If you can recommend particular shops that are good on a budget then please do. I live near Manchester so I have access to most high street shops.

smart navy blue trousers
    grey blazer
    black suit blazer
    navy blue flat shoes

Help
    http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product...ist=Dept,brand

I love workwear dresses - they're usually alot cheaper than buying a suit and shirts and look great - thin tights in the summer - thicker tights and a jacket in the winter - sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product...ist=Dept,brand

I love workwear dresses - they're usually alot cheaper than buying a suit and shirts and look great - thin tights in the summer - thicker tights and a jacket in the winter - sorted.
    Hmm. I don't know if I've got the bottle for that, I'm working with blokes exclusively. I'll try a few on and see. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try H&M, or Primark depending how low your budget actually is. H&M is really good for smart classic clothes imo.

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR

smart navy blue trousers
    grey blazer
    black suit blazer
    navy blue flat shoes

Help
    Hit primark, if your on a low budget or matalan or Bhs if u got a bit more money

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't know if I've got the bottle for that, I'm working with blokes exclusively. I'll try and few on and see. Thanks
    Aww you'll be fine - you just have to get one that suits your body shape

I'm a size 18 and 5ft1 and even I got one to look nice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Primark do have the odd nice thing if you can bear to trawl through the rubbish if not H&M is great, and you could try new look too

ReputationRep:
    Just dress like Professor Badass every day:

ReputationRep:
    first stop: primark, you WILL find shoes/shirts/basics there, maybe even some smart trousers/jackets... then try h&m, new look, tesco/asda/etc., matalan.

just give yourself a day or two and hit manchester hard! i recommend the asda near the city stadium, it's massiveeee and has a good George (with a Next next door, although that's probably a bit too pricey).

primarks really nice atm though, so id make that the first place you look. you could get cheap basics then buy some nicer pieces to jazz up the primark stuff, if you have enough cash leftover. i think it's always worth spending a little more on a decent pair of black trousers and a white shirt (they come in handy for all sorts... interviews, funerals, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all suggestions thus far. Yeah, the Primark shopping experience scares me a little. Especially after they were cheeky enough to open a sweat shop right in Manchester! Though I doubt the others are much better.

I'll check out H&M.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay is your friend, there are a few suit jackets, trousers etc on there.
    And smart blouse type shirts can be picked up basically anywhere for a few quid.

ReputationRep:
    primarks scary, but it is so cheap! and the stuff looks really nice. but fair enough if you have morals, sadly i sold my soul long ago :p:

i just remembered, you should try ASOS... it's slightly more expensive than you probably would like to spend, but it's good for inspiration on how to put together outfits, as they have the models styled in whole outfits. then you can try to recreate the look on the high street with h&m etc.

id say you need maybe 2-3 pairs of smart trousers (neutral-ish colours like brown, beige, black, navy, etc.) that can be worn with a variety of blouses/shirts. also, maybe 2 pencil skirts, again in neutral colours (or bright, if you want to jazz things up a bit!).

maybe browse the online shops to get an idea what you like, then check out the shops and try things on together.

good luck!

edit: actually ASOS is looking pretty good: basic shirt bargain and jacket or this jacket too. check out the sale, there's always gems there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.