Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want this to stay anonymous as people know me on here...

I'm in my last year at college, and have applied to go to Uni. Somehow I got really good offers (One of them being from Cambridge), but their conditions are so tough to meet. And suddenly, in the past few days, I don't know what's come over me.

It has just hit me that I've managed to fool everyone (even myself) into thinking that I'm intelligent when I'm really not. The syllabus for my upcoming exams is insurmountable and there's no way I can pull it off. Up till now, I've shielded behind lots of revision, and made people think that because I work hard, I've got potential, but now the work has reached a level that goes beyond just repeating the revision guide, and I'm basically screwed. This has hit me like a big double-decker bus, and now I'm finding myself unwilling to do anything. My exams start in less than a month, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've done all the typical things like deactivate my facebook account, unsubscribe from love-film, but no matter what I do, recently, I just can't be productive. It feels like it's too late.

What do I do? I don't want to mess this up, but I feel like it's too late. Any advice?

...well this looks hopeful

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late. Honestly. Less than a month? That is plenty of time. I've sometimes revised two days before and passed. And no I'm not that smart, actually I keep repeating myself I fool people too.

You might be like me. I haven't studied a lot for the past years and when things began to be tougher I was afraid to study because if I study and then fail, it might mean I'm not smart. Whereas if I don't, even if I fail, I know I was not doing my best anyway.

See what I mean? But it's so stupid. You did get really good offers and apparently you did not exactly kill yourself studying. So there's a good chance if you study hard you will pass your exams without difficulty. You need to leave your house/ room if there are too many distractions. Go to the library where you cannot go on the Internet, cannot pick a magazine, chat with friends, etc, and stay for hours. Believe me, you'll get so bored you will start studying!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation. Don't be intimidated by your offers, you didn't get them 'somehow', you got them because you are capable of getting them.

Dive into your studying. If you still have weeks left then that's plenty of time if you get into it right now. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Stop stressing (apt username I have, haha) and just try to focus. Don't think about what's happened and just focus on doing as well as you can now. Easier said than done, but that's really the only solution - otherwise you'll just keep kicking yourself for ages for not doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Just try your best and get on with it, you'll be delighted with your reward afterwards

ReputationRep:
    i'm in exactly the same mood&position as you..infact i made a thread about it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want this to stay anonymous as people know me on here...

I'm in my last year at college, and have applied to go to Uni. Somehow I got really good offers (One of them being from Cambridge), but their conditions are so tough to meet. And suddenly, in the past few days, I don't know what's come over me.

It has just hit me that I've managed to fool everyone (even myself) into thinking that I'm intelligent when I'm really not. The syllabus for my upcoming exams is insurmountable and there's no way I can pull it off. Up till now, I've shielded behind lots of revision, and made people think that because I work hard, I've got potential, but now the work has reached a level that goes beyond just repeating the revision guide, and I'm basically screwed. This has hit me like a big double-decker bus, and now I'm finding myself unwilling to do anything. My exams start in less than a month, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've done all the typical things like deactivate my facebook account, unsubscribe from love-film, but no matter what I do, recently, I just can't be productive. It feels like it's too late.

What do I do? I don't want to mess this up, but I feel like it's too late. Any advice?
    You're not Cambridge material then.
    Simples.
    /THREAD

ReputationRep:
    I know exacty how you feel :s

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.