Turn on thread page Beta

Is having a degree a disadvantage to finding a job? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure if a very impressive candidate convinced them they were overqualified but this is the job they want, then they'd be happy.

However, it certainly does happen that overqualified candidates are overlooked because they're expected to leave if something better comes up.

Why hire someone who could leave when something better comes up when you can hire someone who will stay because they're in the best job they can feasibly get with their qualifications?
    ? I wasn't being sarcastic. I was saying thats why she got the job. It was a temporary position.

ReputationRep:
    It is true in a way, though while I was a student and after I had graduated I have had a few 'mundane' jobs. It's impossible to know whether you're being turned away for being overqualified or just because they didn't like you/no exeperience. That said, I have often been asked in job interviews what my furture plans are, and how long i'll be available for - so I guess this is a subtle way of them determining whether it's worth giving me the job.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.