Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your opinions on arranged marriages? watch

ReputationRep:
    Note: I said "arranged" and not "forced".

ReputationRep:
    If it's a matter of just introducing and hoping, I don't see much of a problem. However, when the people involved are under significant pressure, not okay. Also, a lot of women go into it seemingly willingly because they feel they HAVE to because of their culture, and end up miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Worked for most of my family. Just thankful I'm not having one though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Worked for most of my family. Just thankful I'm not having one though.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Why?
    Because I met the man I'm going to marry of my own accord (he isn't the same race or religion as me). I was told that if I didn't meet anyone by 25 I was having an arranged marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't mind having one, you'll know you'd end up with someone of the same/similar culture, background, beliefs, social status, financial status etc as yourself, your parents would obviously approve as they arranged it, and as you'd both be similar people you should have a lot in common. Also, over time I think people will get to know each other and 'grow to love each other', as long as you're fairly tollerant lol. They also seem to have a higher success rate than non-arranged, but there may be other factors affecting this. The only problem is that you run the risk of an abusive relationship where it'll be harder to get out of (due to marriage) than if you were just dating, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saluki-Sake)
    Personally I wouldn't mind having one, you'll know you'd end up with someone of the same/similar culture, background, beliefs, social status, financial status etc as yourself, your parents would obviously approve as they arranged it, and as you'd both be similar people you should have a lot in common. Also, over time I think people will get to know each other and 'grow to love each other', as long as you're fairly tollerant lol. They also seem to have a higher success rate than non-arranged, but there may be other factors affecting this. The only problem is that you run the risk of an abusive relationship where it'll be harder to get out of (due to marriage) than if you were just dating, for example.
    See, in my relationship we're different cultures, backgrounds, beliefs, social status and financial status, but...that's why it's so fun. XD It's nice to have different aspects of life to share and discover. *A Whole New World plays in the background*

The success rate is, I think, taken as "those who do not get divorced" rather than "those who are happy".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.