Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just chipping in with my experience as I currently hold offers from both Imperial, Warwick and Cass.

I am currently doing the last semester of my undergraduate study (BSc Finance) and I will graduate with a first. Both Imperial and Cass offered me a place with a condition of a 2:1 which is rather low imo as I would basically have to skip exams to get a 2:1, whilst warwick offered me a place with the condition of a first.

If you got rejected by Imperial then realistically you probably wont get into Warwick. But you could just apply anyways of course.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggieffc)
    This is the key point. I wouldn't just go for Cass because it's in London. It provides a hands on education that is ready to be applied in the industry. Other universities are more academic and theory based. You can argue the warrants of both, but in terms of training financial practitioners and making them as appealing as possible to employers (employers who often don't have the time/money to train well qualified but otherwise clueless graduates) then Cass has the upper hand over most.
    Thank you for your input. I am wondering why is Cass considered a second tier university, when it is considered one of the best universities in Europe? If check out the financial times best European universities, Cass appears well before LSE, Imperial and Even Cambridge. Check out this link :
    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...-rankings-2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b_alam)
    Thank you for your input. I am wondering why is Cass considered a second tier university, when it is considered one of the best universities in Europe? If check out the financial times best European universities, Cass appears well before LSE, Imperial and Even Cambridge. Check out this link :
    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...-rankings-2010
    Several reasons:

It's only been ranked that highly for a few years and they're still working hard to boost their reputation. The short time it has had near the top of the pile isn't yet enough time for it to be as established as the top 6.

It's part of City University, which in general is way off the top 6.

Its courses are applied and practical, rather than pure and academically theoretical. This is excellent for getting a job but might be looked down upon by some of the more snooty academic institutions.

It's less prestigious because it's quite easy to get into. Virtually any decent candidate will have 2.1 and can get the 600-800 GMAT that's required. All the other top unis are far more selective.

But they're ranked that highly because students are well trained for the industry, Cass has very good links to industry and it has an excellent careers service.

ReputationRep:
    good to see borisvian (158+ posts and going strong) once more with his head up his posterior sprouting his/her usual nonsense...wtf do you really know about HE? I can only surmise that your inferiority complex compels you to constantly write such drivel time and again... however, thanks for being a source of much amusement...

ReputationRep:
    I'd add the Cass vs. LSE vs. Cambridge debate that regardless of the rankings, LSE and Cambridge are far more selective for MSc (/MPhil) programmes - so the overall student graduating from there is "expected" to be better by employers. But as maggieffc said, Cass is improving fast and probably boasts the most cited finance faculty of the group by now (lots of high profile hires recently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggieffc)
    In all honesty you'll probably struggle to get onto LSE Finance. It's seriously oversubscribed with some very good candidates but that's not to say you don't have a chance at all.

Cass isn't bad at all and I'd go for that over Manchester every time. From what I gather they have a pretty good record of getting graduates into BO and MO roles, though they can't quite match the top 6 unis for landing FO roles.
    Hi, I am new here. Can I possibly ask what is BO, MO and FO?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninisylvia)
    Hi, I am new here. Can I possibly ask what is BO, MO and FO?:confused:
    Sure. Back, Middle and Front Office. (Google it if that doesn't help).

ReputationRep:
    As you are an international student, there is little point in going to a 2nd tier university. Most IBs give automatic preference to Oxbridge & LSE graduates when recruiting, and you can imagine that there are a lot of them from all sorts of degrees.

Afaik in Canada grading is much stricter, so your GPA may not be too bad, though of course not stellar. Work on your GMAT and letters of recommendation. When applying, try second options (like related degrees with a bit less competition; in the end banks do not care whether you finished Finance or Archaeology, as long as it is Oxbridge and you sell yourself at an interview).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.