Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What are my rights? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am being charged £15 for an unpaid debit fee which was caused by an unfortunate set of circumstances in which I attempted to pay twice into an account because my money was unbeknown to me debited from my account but not actually transferred to my ISA.

On the 18/02/2011 I requested that £450 be paid into my Alliance and Leister ISA, something I’ve done many times before with no problems, this money had still not materialised by the 28/02/2011and as I did not have internet access to my Nationwide account at the time did not think the money would have been debited, and so I redid the transaction with £531.33 which arrived in my account 01/03/2011, but then was removed on 3/02/2011. On investigating this I discovered that the initial £450 was debited from my account but had not arrived in my Alliance and Leister ISA. Therefore when I had attempted to move the money again it had put me over my balance. I am currently trying to work out what happened to the initial £450 I transferred, which I am assured by Nationwide was transferred to my Alliance and Leister account, something I am trying to follow up with their branch.

Do I have any right to claim the £15 pound back?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent-Varjoisa)
    I am being charged £15 for an unpaid debit fee which was caused by an unfortunate set of circumstances in which I attempted to pay twice into an account because my money was unbeknown to me debited from my account but not actually transferred to my ISA.

On the 18/02/2011 I requested that £450 be paid into my Alliance and Leister ISA, something I’ve done many times before with no problems, this money had still not materialised by the 28/02/2011and as I did not have internet access to my Nationwide account at the time did not think the money would have been debited, and so I redid the transaction with £531.33 which arrived in my account 01/03/2011, but then was removed on 3/02/2011. On investigating this I discovered that the initial £450 was debited from my account but had not arrived in my Alliance and Leister ISA. Therefore when I had attempted to move the money again it had put me over my balance. I am currently trying to work out what happened to the initial £450 I transferred, which I am assured by Nationwide was transferred to my Alliance and Leister account, something I am trying to follow up with their branch.

How did you know that the money had not arrived in your ISA but not know that it had left your current account? If you made the transfer over the phone or in-branch and found out that way, for example, it would seem reasonable for them to tell you that you don't have enough money in your current account to actually make the transfer. On the other hand if you found that the money had not reached your ISA, did not ask about the balance of your other account and later made the transfer I think they can reasonably argue that you did not act prudently.

You need to give more information to get a more reasoned reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent-Varjoisa)

You probably don't have a right to get it back but if you apologise, say you'll make sure it doesn't happen again and ask them to refund it as a good will gesture (I'm assuming this is the first time you've gotten a fee like this?) then they almost certainly will.

I've done it with Nationwide before and they did it with no fuss at all.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it said..

'Where are my tights'

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.