Turn on thread page Beta

sex at uni - how to answer awkward questions? watch

basically i'm going to uni in september and i can't wait i'm a really sociable person and i love to go out so it should be fun.

however, i have a small worry playing in the back of my mind and i just need to be reassured that it won't be that big a deal. i'm a virgin (likely that i won't still be one by the time i get to uni but i'm still worried) and i don't have a problem with that, however, just from visiting friends who are already at uni, i know that sex is quite often brought up in drinking games with games like 'i've never' etc.

so what i want to know is, how do i deal with these situations? i don't really want my flatmates to think i've had sex when i haven't because if they become my good friends later on i don't want to have lied to them becuase it'll be awkward? but if i get asked a sexual question in a big group i don't really want to say 'i've never had sex' because it's a little bit embarassing? i'm not ashamed of being a virgin i just think it'll make the situation uncomfortable for everyone when i say i'm a virgin? i don't want people to think they can't talk about sex infront of me because i have had sexual experiences just not actual sex.

i know i'm making a mountain out of a molehill but basically what i want to know is, do i lie or tell the truth?? and what do i say?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'm not ashamed of being a virgin
    Lying isn't cool. :nope:

Just say you're a virgin, they'll take the pee for 3 seconds and get over it, they're not going to "think they can't talk about sex around you" like you're a 4 year old. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can just laugh it off?

(Original post by Aesc)
    Surely you can just laugh it off?
    how though? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    same situation babe :/

ReputationRep:
    "At least I can keep my legs closed, you dirty ****s! :awesome:"

Seriously though, you are so overthinking this. Nobody is going to care, and most likely very few are going to know.

ReputationRep:
    the ammount of people in my halls that are still virgins you wouldnt belive sure its a topic for pistaking but then so is my supposed pedo beard, the fact that alex is american or the fact other alex is a farmer . . . its just good natured man dont worry bout it

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said, just laugh it off. Make a joke about it or something, then move on quickly. People won't care.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, i'm not at uni yet, but we play drinking games like that, and there's only two of us girls who are virgins... they all know we're virgins, but I often take a drink when something i haven't done comes up...and most things are sex related otherwise they're basically drinking drink I put in money for.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. Tell the truth.

ReputationRep:
    mate. im in the same situation and I honestly couldn't give a crap, and that's what gonna get you by...just don't care about what others think

I know for a fact I can easily get a girl, pulled plenty of times in school/bars/clubs etc, but I just don't wanna go as far as to have sex...not yet anyway

nobodies ever taken the piss because they know there's nothing to gain from doing so since I just don't care

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if you're a virgin? act proud of it and people will get over it quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you haven't met the right person yet, loads of people dont lose their cherry until they get to Uni, some later.

I guess the other way to think about it is, if they are the sorts of people mock the hell out of you and just keep on mocking you (not that I think they would) would you really want to be best buds with them anyway?

ReputationRep:
    stop taking yourself so seriously

and you'll get a lot further in life than you will by being an image obsessed douche

ReputationRep:
    meh its not that uncommon for people starting uni. don't lie though, ruins the fun of the game

ReputationRep:
    God, like anyone cares.

ReputationRep:
    Don't join in.......or get ****faced enough so you don't care.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends at uni was still a virgin when we were in first year, and our first game of I Never, as soon as it came to her turn she just said 'I've never had sex'...there was a slightly stunned silence [simply because she comes across very...non virginy, which is a ridiculous assumption to make about someone but we were all surprised] and she just laughed and said she loved using that as her trump card.
    She got a bit of ribbing now and then, but only because we became really close mates and that's what mates do :p: but otherwise it was never an issue. So I'd just act cool about it, and others will in return.
    I mean really, it's such a non-issue. But if you are uncomfortable with people not knowing or something =/

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest, no one will care. At all.

ReputationRep:
    We had a poll in our uni magazine a while back and more people than you think are virgins when they get to uni and some are still when they leave. You shouldn't be embarrassed about it, I'm not and it is def. better telling the truth about it.

ReputationRep:
    "Hahaha!"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.