Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

sex at uni - how to answer awkward questions? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they have better things to worry about other than you getting pounded.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care if my flatmate was a virgin - at least I'd be able to sleep at night without earplugs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No ones really that bothered in all honesty

My housemate is def a virgin, but hes decided to tell us all that he's slept with like 4 people (even told this to his girlfriend, and has told her that hes got with people at uni that we all know for a fact he hasn't been anywhere near) ive spoken to all his mates and they all say hes never slept with anyone back home, and all the people he claims to have got with back home hes lied about (youd think hed be more careful since im going out with one of his mates from home) and having lived next door to him for 2 years i know hes not brought anyone back. He dishes it about people being virgins, but then he cant take it.

The point of my extremely long story is people will find out so its not worth lying and really it's not that big a deal either! The only thing any of us care about is why he's lying!

i was a virgin when i started uni, and for the first two days it wasn't that bad being a virgin/ answering questions about my chaste state.

Then on the third day, the stone rolled away and a nympho was born.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm going to be a 22 year old virgin when I go so you've really got nothing to worry about...

^LOL'd @ above post.

I'm also going to uni in spetember and i'm also a virgin (will most likely still be one in sept). I don't see the big deal in telling someone whether or not i am a virgin, yeah they may make fun of it for all of 2 seconds, but it's not going to be a big deal. I would rather be honest and say that i'm a virgin, than lie and say i have slept with someone...

I'm a virgin and in my first year of uni- honestly its a non issue. No one cares, A lot of people I live with are virgins. I've never had anyone make fun of me for being one. I think you're worrying aout nothing- relax

ReputationRep:
    If your a female i dont see the problem. If your a male then i can see why your aliitle anxious but lying really wont get you anywhere. It will lead to you having to make more lies on the way and become worse. Either dont take part or be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    basically i'm going to uni in september and i can't wait i'm a really sociable person and i love to go out so it should be fun.

however, i have a small worry playing in the back of my mind and i just need to be reassured that it won't be that big a deal. i'm a virgin (likely that i won't still be one by the time i get to uni but i'm still worried) and i don't have a problem with that, however, just from visiting friends who are already at uni, i know that sex is quite often brought up in drinking games with games like 'i've never' etc.

so what i want to know is, how do i deal with these situations? i don't really want my flatmates to think i've had sex when i haven't because if they become my good friends later on i don't want to have lied to them becuase it'll be awkward? but if i get asked a sexual question in a big group i don't really want to say 'i've never had sex' because it's a little bit embarassing? i'm not ashamed of being a virgin i just think it'll make the situation uncomfortable for everyone when i say i'm a virgin? i don't want people to think they can't talk about sex infront of me because i have had sexual experiences just not actual sex.

i know i'm making a mountain out of a molehill but basically what i want to know is, do i lie or tell the truth?? and what do i say?

thanks!
    You don't need to have sex just to talk about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When I was at uni, loads of people were virgins. It wasn't really a big deal. I don't think it would be awkward in 'never have I ever' games, especially if you've done other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly nobody else cares how much sex YOU have had.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a virgin and in my first year of uni- honestly its a non issue. No one cares, A lot of people I live with are virgins. I've never had anyone make fun of me for being one. I think you're worrying aout nothing- relax
    Lol, I find it a little hypocritical that you claim no-one cares, and yet post anonymously yourself...

ReputationRep:
    We've had a couple of virgins break down into tears after too much booze and "Never Have I Ever."
    No one really cares. I guess the best advice I could give you is go get laid.

ReputationRep:
    basically i'm going to uni in september and i can't wait i'm a really sociable person and i love to go out so it should be fun.

however, i have a small worry playing in the back of my mind and i just need to be reassured that it won't be that big a deal. i'm a virgin (likely that i won't still be one by the time i get to uni but i'm still worried) and i don't have a problem with that, however, just from visiting friends who are already at uni, i know that sex is quite often brought up in drinking games with games like 'i've never' etc.

so what i want to know is, how do i deal with these situations? i don't really want my flatmates to think i've had sex when i haven't because if they become my good friends later on i don't want to have lied to them becuase it'll be awkward? but if i get asked a sexual question in a big group i don't really want to say 'i've never had sex' because it's a little bit embarassing? i'm not ashamed of being a virgin i just think it'll make the situation uncomfortable for everyone when i say i'm a virgin? i don't want people to think they can't talk about sex infront of me because i have had sexual experiences just not actual sex.

i know i'm making a mountain out of a molehill but basically what i want to know is, do i lie or tell the truth?? and what do i say?

thanks!

Some good advice given to you so far. I promise you that you won't be the only virgin playing the game! I would say it is about a 50/50 split of virgin to non-virgin when you move into halls at 18.

In any case, it is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Lying about something like this is a stupid idea because you then open yourself up to having to tell more lies later on. Why would you want to start some lie for absolutely no reason. You will probably get really close to your flatmates and most people can sort of tell who is a virgin anyway just from finding out if you have a gf, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just lie, being known as "the virgin" isn't going to do you any favours.

Unless it's obvious that you are the sort of guy who would be a virgin, then if you lie it'll come off as too far-fetched and people will resent you for insulting their intelligence. Some people have done that in I have never, receiving cynical looks from the room.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to just lose your virginity in freshers week, it's not hard.

ReputationRep:
    One of the girls in our groups is still a virgin, we tease her a little bit but it's not a big deal, better than then sleep around

ReputationRep:
    just be honest from the start, don't make it into a big deal. I had friends at uni that were virgins, wasn't an issue, the girls were actually more respected and not seen as people to have drunken shags with and the boys didnt stay virgins long lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You'll get some banter/general pisstaking from your friends, especially if you're a lad, but in all honesty nobody really cares. I remember bringing it up once in those sort of games and of course some people were taking the piss, but it wasn't serious. To be honest i'm more concerned about my own life than worrying if people have had sex before or not. The only people who make an issue of it are probably virgins themselves.

Are you waiting for the right person? If you are then most people will find that respectable. I certainly would!

(Original post by Jellybean91)
    No ones really that bothered in all honesty

My housemate is def a virgin, but hes decided to tell us all that he's slept with like 4 people (even told this to his girlfriend, and has told her that hes got with people at uni that we all know for a fact he hasn't been anywhere near) ive spoken to all his mates and they all say hes never slept with anyone back home, and all the people he claims to have got with back home hes lied about (youd think hed be more careful since im going out with one of his mates from home) and having lived next door to him for 2 years i know hes not brought anyone back. He dishes it about people being virgins, but then he cant take it.

The point of my extremely long story is people will find out so its not worth lying and really it's not that big a deal either! The only thing any of us care about is why he's lying!
    Oh dear, does he know that everyone else knows? Such a shame people have to lie to that extent.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.