Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of a Psychology degree, and can assure you that a Psychology degree is far from "soft". I'll admit that a lot of people apply for the course thinking it'll just be the same as A Level, but it's not.

A Level Psychology is a waste of time in my opinion. You just have to learn everything without really understanding it, and it seems to be more like remembering names and dates than actually understanding the concepts.

The degree however is much more interesting. You wouldn't believe the depth it goes into Biology wise, and talking about which parts of the brain (yes we have to know the names of the parts and where they are.. I find this really difficult actually) are responsible for certain behaviours, what happens when they're damaged, the effects of various illnesses on your brain etc..

People seem to think that ALL Psychology is like Social Psychology, which is actually only worth ~5% of my overall degree. And even that, at degree level, is a lot more detailed and difficult to understand.

This is one of the arguments that is never going to be settled, though. Everyone who does Psychology will say that it's not soft. Everyone who doesn't will say that it is soft (although how they can say that without ever having studied it, I have no idea).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    Then let the f.math students do psychology and the psychology students do normal maths?

Meh doesn't matter. Such a study could never be conducted. You just gotta take pride in whichever subjects you choose.
    that's a bit better tbh I'd like to carry out this experiment and see what happens, but the outcome is unmistakable for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadelyndsey)
    Exactly. There is always a massive jump between AS and A2 in every subject, not just Psychology. The difference is, I'm not achieving A's in all of my other AS subjects, which is why I said Psychology was a relatively easy subject, because for me (an AS student) it was easier to achieve an A in this subject in comparrison to my other AS'.

I don't understand why you think I can't 'judge' psychology to be a soft subject just because I haven't carried it on to A2. For the majority of the time, student's who achieve high grades at AS normally invariably achieve this at A2 too, so technically speaking, one could assume that I could have potentially reached A/B at A2, therefore providing a valid arguement as to why I personally think it's a soft subject.

Ps, I am in no way disputing Psychology could be considered difficult for some people. I take Biology which I really struggle with, yet my best friend can get A's/A*s without even trying. It just depends on the individual.
    I agree with the last part but it may just be that you're not good at your other subjects. E.g. you're not scientific. For instance, my friend gets A's in her Maths mocks and finds it very difficult to get above a grade C in Psych. So yeah it depends on the individual and their skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodboy4444)
    History??

I do psychology and History and i can assure you, psych has a lot more to memorise. History's mostly about interpretation and why something happened, whereas Psych really doesn't leave much room to think for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawology)
    Believe me, the feeling is entirely mutual. I doubt we're looking at going to the same Uni, I have a feeling you probably wouldn't suit the course there :P

Well, I had been going to reply to your message but you seem to be incredibly hypersensitive and easily offended. You specifically asked me not to reply and I decided to honour that. You see everything as an insult, or as me 'disrespecting' you, when really, all this is is a debate over an internet forum and not a particularly good/interesting one at that - due to the fact that you don't bother responding to the points I make but rather, whine about how 'mean' I'm being. Did you say you were planning on studying law as well?!
    Ok enough with this... Anyway no I didn't say anything.. Why would I not suit the course?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people care so much in posts like these? if you like a subject, it doesn't matter if its media studies or maths. Get a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mooniibuggy)
    I agree with the last part but it may just be that you're not good at your other subjects. E.g. you're not scientific. For instance, my friend gets A's in her Maths mocks and finds it very difficult to get above a grade C in Psych. So yeah it depends on the individual and their skills.
    I agree This is why I am good at sociology too, because I remember things quite well. I am awful at science things though, and I full admit that I am rubbish at biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So using your logic, I am justified in making the claim that Physics is an easy A level, just because I personally found it quite easy?

So?
    You can say the same about many other degrees.
    History, English, Politics, etc etc etc.

And the same is true for most A levels.
    No, according to my logic AND quite a few people on the whole. I personally find Psychology to be a soft subject, and so do many others, along with universities too. Physics is found to be a lot more difficult by a large proportion of people, along with universities too, so therefore Physics carries more prestige. Dude, chill.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, according to my logic AND quite a few people on the whole. I personally find Psychology to be a soft subject, and so do many others, along with universities too. Physics is found to be a lot more difficult by a large proportion of people, along with universities too, so therefore Physics carries more prestige. Dude, chill.
    Opinion.

Bull**** about universities. Prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Opinion.

Bull**** about universities. Prove it.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

The website explicitly says:

"LIST B
    A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
    Art & Design (Arts)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Land Economy & Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)"

... How is what I said bull**** then? Quite a few people think that Psychology is a soft subject, and Oxbridge believe it to be an A-level of more limited suitability (lol). And yes... it was an opinion, the OP was "For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"" so I merely gave a response, as I am someone who believe psychology to be a soft subject.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

The website explicitly says:

"LIST B
    A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
    Art & Design (Arts)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Land Economy & Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)"

... How is what I said bull**** then? Quite a few people think that Psychology is a soft subject, and Oxbridge believe it to be an A-level of more limited suitability (lol). And yes... it was an opinion, the OP was "For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"" so I merely gave a response, as I am someone who believe psychology to be a soft subject.
    List B is not soft, it's just not as respected as the traditional subjects which I never said. Soft subjects are List C where they're only appropriate as a fourth subject.

Also, that is one college (the most picky) of one university. You still haven't proven 'loads of unis think it'.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it can seem like a 'soft' subject at AS/A2 Level, because it can be just learning and regurgitating, not understanding. But if you put the effort in to actually understand it, It is a lot more like any other science, it is just that it is not vital for you to understand it to pass the exam.

I am going to study Psychology at Uni next year, and after researching courses/going to open days, it looks so amazingly interesting, I can't wait

ReputationRep:
    lol no. Psychology is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    The only people I've heard saying that psychology is easy are those who have;
    A) Never done it.
    B) Take all the sciences and/or maths, I think they have a chip on their shoulder.
    I'm not saying it's really difficult, but this is just what I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely had no idea that is was seen as a 'soft subject' at all.

I don't see why people have to criticize it either, obviously their own course is so hardcore that they have time to waste criticizing other subjects.

I didn't do psychology at A level but I am doing a psychology degree... there's probably an even worse opinion of that.

ReputationRep:
    Haha and I just have to add..some people are sounding very....

"My course is harder than yours, so I must be cleverer... na na na na nah!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky:-))
    Haha and I just have to add..some people are sounding very....

"My course is harder than yours, so I must be cleverer... na na na na nah!!"
    That's just TSR.

ReputationRep:
    like you said op it is alot of memorising stuff which isn't that hard compared to something like biology where you have to memorise the information and apply it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I laughed when I saw you thought it wasn't a science.
    It is a science no doubt, just not a very "pure" science.

People see pure sciences as "hard" subjects and not very pure sciences as "soft"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Blah blah physics is the only proper science
    Your views about science are not only objectional, but also incorrect.

Take it from an actual scientist (that is, someone with degree level knowledge and who works at a respected academic research institute). Science is the testing of ideas by experiment and observation. It is a method.

I suggest you drop your academic snobbery.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.