Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Your views about science are not only objectional, but also incorrect.

Take it from an actual scientist (that is, someone with degree level knowledge and who works at a respected academic research institute). Science is the testing of ideas by experiment and observation. It is a method.

I suggest you drop your academic snobbery.
    Already have done, if you were to read the comments above.

As you haven't studied physics beyond GCSE level, I wouldn't expect you to understand. But the doctrine of physics is mathematics and measurement. Given that science did basically start out as alchemy and "stamp collecting", physics was an attempt to do everything "properly" by defining everything fundamentaly, with the language of nature (maths).
    Or course, it's not practical to model an entire organism on a molecular level using physics, which is why things like biology and psychology are still studied. But, from a physicist's perspective, simply experimenting and observing isn't sufficient. In fact, it would be very bad practise to experiment and observe without quantifying and expressing mathematically. For that reason, I personally (and you must appreciate this is my opinion and I am entitled to it) don't believe that biology/psychology etc. should be labelled as "science" in the same vein as physics.
    That said, there are areas of physics research that DO try and model biological systems (just google "biophysics"), and somebody in this thread pointed out that there is a mathematical model for stimulus and response in psychology, so biology and psychology CAN be considered science in the same vein as physics with the correct approach.
    Don't blame me. As a physicist I have to view it this way, otherwise I would be a bad physicist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadelyndsey)
    I agree This is why I am good at sociology too, because I remember things quite well. I am awful at science things though, and I full admit that I am rubbish at biology
    Yeah At this stage of my A2 year, I feel that amongst my AS levels, Psychology was easy (and boring), you're right. But at A2, I don't see a difference between Psychology, Biology and Chemistry- For me, they're equally as demanding (in different ways) and interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Lmao. How many scientists do you know, little school boy?
    I was just giving a few reasons why people might think it's a soft subject.

And I don't have to know a scientist to read a few papers about modern psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Already have done, if you were to read the comments above.
    In fact, it would be very bad practise to experiment and observe without quantifying and expressing mathematically. For that reason, I personally (and you must appreciate this is my opinion and I am entitled to it) don't believe that biology/psychology etc. should be labelled as "science" in the same vein as physics.

Erm, psychology and biology use maths all the time in research. Most research quantifies variables, such as intelligence into IQ, and then statistically analyses how IQ will vary say over different experimental groups.

I do physics too, and alot of the beauty in physics is that you can derive a formula for the time period of a pendulum and show how length varies T and whatever- but there is never going to be a 'formula' for behaviour- at least not a simple one. Science = sceintific method, which is used by both biology and psychology, and they both use stats to show how statistically significant the results are!

P.S. I find physics SOOOO much easier than english lit, therefore physics softsubject? I don't think so. People find psychology genuinely hard at a level......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mooniibuggy)
    Yeah At this stage of my A2 year, I feel that amongst my AS levels, Psychology was easy (and boring), you're right. But at A2, I don't see a difference between Psychology, Biology and Chemistry- For me, they're equally as demanding (in different ways) and interesting.
    Yeh :P
    My friend Bridget who is in the year above me just told me last night what her grades were for the jan exams, and she got an E in psychology despite the fact that she got an A at AS, so obviously there must be a huge massive jump between AS and A2 just like theres a huge jump from GCSE to A2. Good luck in your summer exams btw :P

ReputationRep:
    Psychology Spec B, there is a synoptic paper which requires knowledge of at least half of what you learnt for the other exams, the ability to connect debates in psychology with perspectives and (a deceptively easy) research methods bit. I've read around psychology a level for some time now so the synoptic bit seems quite easy for me, but nobody else is finding it anything less than difficult. Add to that psychology a level can be dreadfully boring.........and you've got a hardish a level (well final exam).

Anyway, what's the point of this argument? If you want to do chemistry at oxford, common sense shows that psychology probably won't be that useful (although it teaches more about the philosophy of science far more than bio/chem/phys, as psych is often bordering on what's pseudo-science). For some subjects its good to take for and others it may not be..... and if you want to apply for maths but your interested psychology, why should it matter if TSR doesn't respect it? Just get good UMS marks and you don't need to take latin a level just cuz its more respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Or course, it's not practical to model an entire organism on a molecular level using physics, which is why things like biology and psychology are still studied. But, from a physicist's perspective, simply experimenting and observing isn't sufficient. In fact, it would be very bad practise to experiment and observe without quantifying and expressing mathematically. For that reason, I personally (and you must appreciate this is my opinion and I am entitled to it) don't believe that biology/psychology etc. should be labelled as "science" in the same vein as physics.
    You're entitled to it, just as I'm entitled to tell you it's a rubbish opinion and you're wrong. Even leaving aside your dubious idea that "constructing mathematical models" is the definition of science rather than say, "using the scientific method"... people make models in biology and psychology all the time! Your ignorance of a subject is not an excuse to label it pseudoscience, you cannot possibly have done any kind of serious reading into biological sciences or psychology if you think people don't quantify things. You really have some grave misconceptions about what science is and hopefully by the time you get to university you can sort them out before you make a fool of yourself in conversation.

edit: you're also not a "physicist", and lol at scolding someone for not having studied something "beyond gcse level" when you haven't even got your a levels yet.

ReputationRep:
    I like Psychology, what's wrong with that?

*person who negged me obviously thinks there's something wrong.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.