Turn on thread page Beta

For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject" watch

(Original post by lozzyhickers)
    Is it possible this is something to do with the fact that we are taught Maths all the way through our education, whereas Psychology is rarely taught as GCSE, so it's a matter of practice?
    You could be taught Maths all the way through your education - yet fail A-level Maths, let alone Further Maths.

What a stupid suggestion.

Primary school arithmetic =/= Further Pure 3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You could be taught Maths all the way through your education - yet fail A-level Maths, let alone Further Maths.

What a stupid suggestion.

Primary school arithmetic =/= Further Pure 3
    Did I say it was the same? no. You could also take Psych GCSE and fail A-level. Some people I know succeeded in passing FM with flying colours, but failed Psych. It's hardly a soft subject for all.

I would advise you to be careful in what you say.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...psychology.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...cs_further.stm

The modal results for Further Maths are A*/A. The modal results for Psychology are B/C/(D).

So generally speaking those who do Psychology have less academic aptitude than those who do Further Maths.
    Ever thought that it may be the college entry requirements to those courses that select the more academic students? Not the subject itself?

At my college, you need a B in English to do Psychology, whereas in further maths, you need an A in Maths, of course, this is detrimental to the end result.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible this is something to do with the fact that we are taught Maths all the way through our education, whereas Psychology is rarely taught as GCSE, so it's a matter of practice?
    That wouldn't explain why English (a Hard subject) has the same sort of distribution as Psychology whereas Physics (another Hard subject) looks more like Further Maths in distribution.

Could this be to do with the way in which subjects are marked? Are questions that are either right/wrong easier to score full marks in than more subjective questions (e.g. essays)?

Just asking. It's been 20 years since I did my A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    snobbery - geography is really, really easy - but gets none of the stick psych does.

at university level psych is a subject that is highly useful to understanding human behaviour etc
    Geography is important in preserving the planet we live on so in my opinion it tops psychology anyday

ReputationRep:
    And how are you sure of that?
    How are you sure your mum is your mum?

ReputationRep:
    The A-Level is probably regarded as a soft subject because of exactly what you've said - it consists mainly of regurgitating information. Perhaps if it were taught at GCSE and the A-Level could therefore be harder it wouldn't be regarded as a soft subject, I find with Economics too (which is taught at GCSE I think, but not many people take it) that the AS was ridiculously simple because you were just being introduced to the basics of the subject, and Unit 3 of the A2 was just about memorising graphs.

But at degree level and further I'm sure it's not regarded as 'soft', it is a fascinating subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Could this be to do with the way in which subjects are marked? Are questions that are either right/wrong easier to score full marks in than more subjective questions (e.g. essays)?

Just asking. It's been 20 years since I did my A-levels.
    I think this is definetly a contributing factor, there is alot of bias involved with marking essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    Remembering a lot of information makes it less of a science for me.

Take Physics for example, you are expected to walk into an exam with a few equations and be able to think on your feet to work out how to approach the question and get the right answer, not learn a load of facts and word vomit in the exam.
    Humanities are like that though.

It's harder to get top marks in a humanities than it is in a science.

Though it's easier to get low to medium marks in a humanities than it is in a science.

It's whatever floats your boat really. I know a lad who can't do essay subjects to save his life, but he's really good at maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    How are you sure your mum is your mum?
    Very I assure you. Now stop being rude
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    From your post we can conclude that everyone that takes Psychology is stupid, you don't even realise how grades are allocated to ensure the same spread throughout subjects :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    Geography is important in preserving the planet we live on so in my opinion it tops physiology anyday
    well, physiology is all well and good, but this is about psychology.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BradfordCityJoss)
    You mad brah? It's interesting sure, but science is based on observation and experimentation. The thing about Psychology is that the brain is almost impossible to observe and experimentation on the human complex is always going to be fraught with bias. You will never get the same type of results as say; dropping a ball and measuring the time it takes to drop, and concluding the acceleration due to gravity. This is why it is seen as a soft science.

That's conjecture right there, eventually when you poke at something in the dark you will hit it.
    The possibly was more in reference to the subject of consciousness - one of the hardest things to actually measure, but I take your point.

Actually I disagree with the accuracy. Parts (what should honestly be the whole) of psychology i.e. neuroscience, neuropsychology etc. have a very high level of accuracy as you are essentially measuring the brain from a modular and chemical way, you remove all 'researcher bias' 'demand characteristic' etc. which are fraught throughout the bad parts of psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Very I assure you. Now stop being rude
    Well I'm pretty sure myself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, I acknowledge that those who achieve A*s and As also do Psychology, but let's be honest over the country, there WILL be a higher proportion of less academic people who choose Psychology, as opposed to something like Further Maths.

You can't base your opinion on your own sixth form as chances are it is a good school if many people who attend there have A*s and As.
    (Original post by justiceisjust)
    Do you have a source for this? Or is your arrogance dictating your answer?
    Acutally ISA is right (never thought I'd say that :rolleyes:). I'm not sure if it's due to being percieved as a weak subject, or just something new which for those that didn't like/didn't do so well on previously pick up, but psychology does have a high proportion of thick ****s taking it.

ReputationRep:
    its pretty easy =/

ReputationRep:
    Memorising stuff does not equal hard subject.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if Psychology is seen as a "soft subject". I find it so useful for everyday life, especially when I work in a restaurant and I have to try to get people to buy stuff.

To all those saying "only stupid people do Psychology", well I do it and I'm a straight A student.

And to those saying "It's just memorising stuff!" - which subjects arent memorising stuff? At my school anyway, we've been given a hell of a lot more work than the other subjects have, and we have to carry out our own experiments and research reports...

And in professional psychology, so many treatments have been developed by it, it has benefitted medicine and the lives of so many people, I find that pretty scientific if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    From your post we can conclude that everyone that takes Psychology is stupid, you don't even realise how grades are allocated to ensure the same spread throughout subjects :/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...rs-857643.html
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tateco)
    They don't ensure the same spread throughout subjects, how retarded would that be:

(hypothetical situation, unsure of true stats)

- 70% of FM entries receive 80% +
    - 5% of psych entries receive 80% +
    - They even it so 35% of FM and psych are awarded the A grade

I think your referring to UMS. If so, it ensures continuity WITHIN not BETWEEN subjects. So roughly the same proportion of people recieve an A grade in 2011 Jan exams to 2010 Jan exams.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.