Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    And you think humans know everything about Physics? Even Einstein didn't understand relativity.
    Did I say that ? Look at the post I quoted and then read my post properly and you'll see I said nothing of the sort.

Read all my posts as well. I've said somewhere that physics (as well as psychology) will never be fully understood (not in our lifetimes anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justiceisjust)
    Why?

I want to know what makes people think that Psychology is a soft subject?

Candidates are required to memorise a lot of relevant information and be able to apply the criteria correctly. Candidates are required to learn many Psychological studies, which sometimes include great amounts of details and have to learn criticisms for each topic. How is this easy? There is quite a lot of content to have to memorise which by itself can be perceived as challenging

A2 Psychology - is quite challenging. You have to outline large essays, include many studies and criticisms usually consisting of 3 or more pages all in 25 minutes.
    You have to do this for three essays.

The PSYA3 results which came out were not the best set of results nationally. If Psychology was hard shouldn't most people be scoring grade A's and B's?

No trolling. Simply a debate!
    Hard and soft, does not determine the difficulty of the subject.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    I don't care if Psychology is seen as a "soft subject". I find it so useful for everyday life, especially when I work in a restaurant and I have to try to get people to buy stuff.

To all those saying "only stupid people do Psychology", well I do it and I'm a straight A student.

And to those saying "It's just memorising stuff!" - which subjects arent memorising stuff? At my school anyway, we've been given a hell of a lot more work than the other subjects have, and we have to carry out our own experiments and research reports...

And in professional psychology, so many treatments have been developed by it, it has benefitted medicine and the lives of so many people, I find that pretty scientific if you ask me.
    I don't memorise philosophy and ethics that's for sure. I don't just reiterate Kant said this, a recent study/theory supports him to achieve an A grade. Honestly, the A-level is a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shruikalta)
    well, physiology is all well and good, but this is about psychology.
    Its called a spelling error I meant psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    Its called a spelling error I meant phychology
    Oh, I thought you actually meant physiology..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Acutally ISA is right (never thought I'd say that :rolleyes:). I'm not sure if it's due to being percieved as a weak subject, or just something new which for those that didn't like/didn't do so well on previously pick up, but psychology does have a high proportion of thick ****s taking it.
    But it doesn't mean they complete the course does it? I had a couple of people in my AS class, they weren't 'thick' as such, but they either dropped out or got kicked out. All the remaining people are very very bright, and take Psych in combonation with other pure sciences and FM

ReputationRep:
    I think psychology A Level is considered a doss because at our school, we learn all these case studies, when at they end they just tell us to memorise model answers. However I personally really enjoy the subject, so whether it's a doss or not, it's interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    Its called a spelling error I meant psychology
    Alright, enough about "physchology"

the thread is about Psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I know, but you've got to admit, more "less academic people" take Psychology in comparison with Further Maths.
    Well yes you have a point i guess but due to its newish reputation people seem to see it as an easy A grade and whilst their are multiple "harder" subjects available it can be a challanging subject to take on. In my opinion people choose is not really knowing the work involved. From my point of view it is in no way a soft subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't know if you posted that in an attempt to contradict what I said but it didn't work, that article states that a BBB grade student is more likely to get a higher grade in Psychology because it is easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodboy4444)
    History??
    What's your point? History involves a lot of analysis, especially on the utility of sources. It's not easy.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology (and sociology) lectures are so dry.

ReputationRep:
    It's just academic snobbery. People who don't study Psychology tend to think it's a mix of Freud and Derren Brown, and don't realise that at times, it involves fairly difficult biology - hence why those who took it as a doss subject end up with Cs and Ds.

Not relevant to the thread, but it's similar to Film Studies. Obviously most people look at it as a weak A-level, which is true in terms of how universities see it, but this is completely unjustified. Most people have no idea what's actually on the course - the question I'm most commonly asked is "Don't you just have to watch loads of films and review them?". In reality, it's not too dissimilar to English Literature, in that you're just examining the themes presented in a medium of art, and how they're presented to the audience. In addition to that, you've got to be aware of the social and political context under which the films were made (involves a fair amount of History), and, of course, various filmmaking techniques and film history. Not saying it's as hard as Maths (although I got a lower grade in Film than Maths), but anyone who thinks it's easy is an idiot.

They're all easier than English Language anyway. Now that's a doss subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    I have decided that nothing you say carries any weighting due to the fact you have only got two words in your signature and one of them is spelt incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Lots of memorisation =/= "hard" A-level

Again:

Lots of memorisation =/= "hard" A-level

Basically write a coherent essay including studies and criticisms? Not that bad.

And 3+ pages in 25 minutes? I write faster than that.

Many reasons for this:

*People couldn't be bothered to revise
    *Chances are people who do Psychology are those of a "lower academic nature". [That's not to say those who are doing Psychology are not academic, but are more likely to contain "those type of people" compared with subjects such as Further Maths]
    *Fundamental flaw - there has to be a proportion that receives each grade. They skew grade boundaries to allow only a certain percentage to have the top grade (or something to that effect - don't quote me on this).

OP: You presented Psychology A-level as basically writing a few essays in the allocated time and just heaps of memorisation. You're not helping the matter.
    Burn.

I've also just seen your comments on a rather lewd thread, hahaha, shocking. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I could learn psychology in my unconscious sleep! (<-- that's supposed to be witty ^^)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I have decided that nothing you say carries any weighting due to the fact you have only got two words in your signature and one of them is spelt incorrectly.
    LOL HAHAHAHA good spot i should change that , wooops comon its an L was i typo.

ReputationRep:
    I heard Media Studies was a hard A-Level...

ReputationRep:
    I got 90% in my final exam last year off the back of 2 days revision. I'm not even lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I don't know if you posted that in an attempt to contradict what I said but it didn't work, that article states that a BBB grade student is more likely to get a higher grade in Psychology because it is easier.
    Oh I guess I quoted the wrong person. It was a response to the idea that grades are balanced to give equal numbers of As/Bs/Cs etc for each subject.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.