Turn on thread page Beta

The Hypocrisy of the British Media watch

ReputationRep:
    The BNP used to openly deny the holocaust, and they still express these views in private.

"Prominent members of the British National party are today revealed as Nazi-sympathisers and racists with abhorrent views"
    - The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...acebook-expose)

vs.

Between 2001 and 2007, the Muslim Council of Britain boycotted the Holocaust Memorial National Day Ceremony because it didn't mention the "ongoing genocide" in Palestine, and it included "the controversial question of alleged Armenian genocide as well as the so-called gay genocide." (http://web.archive.org/web/200103092...ews260101.html)

So what does the Guardian call this organization?
    "Britain's most influential Muslim umbrella group"
    - The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/ju...rrorism.world1)

One group is rightly condemned for its abhorrent views and treated as a dangerous political force, the other group is addressed as a legitimate political force while holding similarly abhorrent views.

Hypocrisy.

You are rightfully condemned for denying the Holocaust, but you can deny the Armenian Genocide and the killing of Homosexuals during the Holocaust...

ReputationRep:
    Those are two entirely different situations. One denies the holocaust and the other refuses to be apart of an event due to disagreements in their perspective on other world events.

I also find this claim hillarious coming from an American. How is Fox News btw?

ReputationRep:
    Which is which?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Those are two entirely different situations. One denies the holocaust and the other refuses to be apart of an event due to disagreements in their perspective on other world events.

One denies the Holocaust, the other denies the Armenian Genocide (and the systematic killing of homosexuals during the Holocaust).

Please, explain the difference?

ReputationRep:
    What do 'other world events' have to do with a commemoration Holocaust Memorial National Day Ceremony?

So, Fox News = Americans?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the british media. It's absolutely despicable. Rude, invasive parasites who ruin peoples lives for a 5 minute slot on the 10pm news.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)

Who is he? He looks familiar....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResearchCalTch)
    Who is he? He looks familiar....
    Elie Wiesel. The image was merely there to represent my complete indifference to the OP's stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    Elie Wiesel. The image was merely there to represent my complete indifference to the OP's stupidity.
    One denies the Holocaust, the other denies the Armenian Genocide (and the systematic killing of homosexuals during the Holocaust).

Why don't you please try and explain the difference, instead of resorting to petty insults?

ReputationRep:
    You are creating personality to justify a non-existent point. "The Guardian" is not a person and does not have a personality, "The British Media" certainly is not a person. The Guardian has an editorial policy on key issues, but will have hundreds of different journalists all of whom have different views and will phrase things differently depending on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    The British media does not care. They'll support/back whoever they want as long as it sells papers.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you show you own stupidy by posting pictures, instead of words to make a statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    You are creating personality to justify a non-existent point. "The Guardian" is not a person and does not have a personality, "The British Media" certainly is not a person. The Guardian has an editorial policy on key issues, but will have hundreds of different journalists all of whom have different views and will phrase things differently depending on the situation.
    Actually, I am merely using those specific quotes to make a larger point and pose a question.

Namely, why one group of genocide deniers is treated differently from another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atheist Britain)
    In my opinion you show you own stupidy by posting pictures, instead of words to make a statement.
    Yeah, I'm totally "stupidy" :ahee:

Moron :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm totally "stupidy" :ahee:

Moron :yawn:
    I wouldn't try and address his or my argument either.

You really have no defense, after all, for their actions.

ReputationRep:
    OP, the holocaust is something that Europe will be most familiar with, Inc the British. The holocaust is definitely studied more than the other two genocides. So if one denied the holocaust it would create a huge fuss. It's not about the hypocrisy of the media. Also the BNP are a legitimate political entity, who could possible reign over the UK. The MCB is simply an organisation that cares for the Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R£SP£CT)
    OP, the holocaust is something that Europe will be most familiar with, Inc the British. The holocaust is definitely studied more than the other two genocides. So if one denied the holocaust it would create a huge fuss. It's not about the hypocrisy of the media. Also the BNP are a legitimate political entity, who could possible reign over the UK. The MCB is simply an organisation that cares for the Muslims.
    Familiarity clearly does not equal a willingness to accept the truthfulness of genocide.

The prime example would be Turkey, which still denies the Armenian genocide. This is indefensible.

The fact of the matter is that a mainstream, respected Muslim organization holds what amounts to the same horrible opinion as a vilified far-right nationalist party, and yet this similarity is completely ignored.

That, sir, is hypocrisy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.