Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in year 10 and I finish Maths GCSE in June, I'm working at a low A. But I'm doing it a year early, and with practise I think I could get A* by next year, as I will be spending a whole other year learning it.

ReputationRep:
    it is up to you, it is whether you enjoy it or not and whether you want to pursue it in the future

good luck ^-^

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy Maths, then I do not see why you should not do it.

I love it... When I can do it. When I can't... I dislike it. I don't want to do a degree in it or anything, its just "opens doors" when it comes to degree options, I.E computer science.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Maths is required for a lot of degrees nowadays; what are you thinking of doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    If you have any desire whatsoever to do a computer science degree, do maths, and further maths if you can manage it.

ReputationRep:
    it is your choice remember, many people choose do A level maths (like me (; i am starting it next year)

we can say if we find it a difficult subject, but at the moment, i wouldnt worry too much yet and make your decision next year

(Original post by Groat)
    Maths is required for a lot of degrees nowadays; what are you thinking of doing at university?
    Computer science, Economics, Politics,Geography or Biology Still abit indecisive.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy maths and feel you're confident that you'll get a good grade; then take it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is fun
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Computer science, or Economics.
    Take it this way, if you don't do A2 Maths, you won't have a chance of getting into top universities to do either!

I'd certainly recommend Further Maths to at least AS-Level as both courses are very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Computer science, or Economics.
    Then yeah you kind of have to do it!

I warn you though, a LOT of people get Us on their first exam. Over half my class did and I'm in a pretty decent 6th form. People underestimate it.

You'll either start off doing really badly or really well, but don't worry cause the people who start really badly get much better over time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not...
    And it's going to look very nice for Computer Science or Economics.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy it, and actually spend time on it, then I think you should carry on doing it!
    I've seen too many friends at 6th form claim they enjoy the subject and then not work for it or revise and are surprised when they get Es!

So good luck!! And remember, there are always people on TSR that can help you if you get stuck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, opens so many doors to you in degrees, careers etc. I really wish i'd taken further maths to be honest; a good maths knowledge is such a good thing to have. In fact this reminds me of the Downing College NatSci admissions tutor at Cambridge; he told me on the open day 'you can never know too much maths' when i said i might gap year and do further maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    Yes, opens so many doors to you in degrees, careers etc. I really wish i'd taken further maths to be honest; a good maths knowledge is such a good thing to have. In fact this reminds me of the Downing College NatSci admissions tutor at Cambridge; he told me on the open day 'you can never know too much maths' when i said i might gap year and do further maths!
    LOL.

And yeah, I'm 5, so what?

ReputationRep:
    Maths <3

ReputationRep:
    YES.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Articaaa)
    it is up to you, it is whether you enjoy it or not and whether you want to pursue it in the future

good luck ^-^
    YOu should take maths if you want to keep your options open when deciding university course...

If you don't enjoy Maths at all, then you should drop it...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 and I finish Maths GCSE in June, I'm working at a low A. But I'm doing it a year early, and with practise I think I could get A* by next year, as I will be spending a whole other year learning it.
    Try it! As long as you're willing to put the work in, you'll be fine. Like others have said, it's pretty much essential if you want to do Computing or Economics at university

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.