Turn on thread page Beta

Am i crazy? Need some advice for my unhealthy paranoia! :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm a complete beginner to this and dnno were to start really but i read some of the advice on other topics & thought id give it a shot.. haha.

So ultimately im crazy! or atleast i feel it, ive been with my boyfriend for a year (best yr of my life) we have a great life been on hol 3 times and we live together. However im completely convinced he's cheating or is gonna cheat on me. i check his phone at every available opportunity and his internet history and although i never find anything if his history says '3 new emails' on his yahoo i freak and panic. ive had panic attacks over it and although he says he loves me every day and im his best friend i cant believe him i guess i cant believe my luck.

ive been cheated on by past boyfriends so its a seed in my head.. BUT my bf said im the only girl hes ever been faithfull too.. bad combination of a couple? i do trust him and i dont, i just want to learn to chill i need a technique of not worrying myself sick before he leaves me! ive been thinking of going to my GP to ask fr therapy but what would that involve? i dont want him to think im a nutter!

Ive asked a few times, do u still speak to ur ex etc as he added his ex's cousin on facebook and hes said no. i think i seem quite chilled on the surface but inside my minds on overdrive 24.7 i imagine scenarios that probably are never happening and wont happen and my friends think i need help. so do i.
    sorry for the essay but anyone any advice?

Emily, 20, Liverpool

xxx

ReputationRep:
    You're obssessive. Calm it down. If my gf did that to me, I'd show her the door. You're going to force him to break up with you if you keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    You are over thinking it. Generally I'd say that if your instinct says yes, you're probably right but you sound paranoid.

He might be cheating on you. You'd think he was whether he was or wasn't. Your paranoia is preventing you from truly knowing the truth.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you're being crazy and paranoid. Get a grip or he wont stick around.

EDIT: And so what if he talks to his exes? Exes can be friends without having sex every time your back is turned.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy *****

ReputationRep:
    harsh came on for help not abuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilybaby90)
    harsh came on for help not abuse
    What did you expect? You're the one who acts like a child, not us.

ReputationRep:
    This an assumption here, but its fairly common..... I guess you don't hang out with your friends much any more? And everything in your life revolves around him?

As hard as it is, separate yourself from him a little and have other aspects of your life which you love. You will soon learn to go with the flow of life, chill out and eventually the paranoia will drift.

ReputationRep:
    Sit yourself down and have a really honest think. Ask yourself if he has given you any real reason to think that he has been unfaithful. I know it's probably very hard to be honest with yourself here and the temptation might be to think of alternative explanations for any dodgy behaviour, but it seems like you're already entertaining the idea of him cheating, and probably too much. And when I say a real reason, I mean the kind like a provocative text from a female friend and not just a text from a female friend appearing on his phone. Also, it would be a very good idea to see yourself from his point of view. He's probably not fretting every time he sees a text pop up on your phone, but imagine if he was. Imagine if he constantly asked things like 'Why is Joe texting you AGAIN?' or 'Oh, you seem to have seen a lot of Sam lately' or 'You and Tom seemed a bit touchy feely on Friday'. You'd be pissed off, and might even laugh at the idea of you and whoever. The same goes for him. He's got his female friends and you've got your male friends - and if you haven't, this might be part of the problem.
    If you're having panic attacks, you really need to see your GP. Seeing a counsellor or therapist does not make you a nutcase, and your boyfriend should realise this too. Or you might choose to not tell him, but if he finds out, he might feel cheated...ironic.
    Good luck.
    I'd also just like to add, and I don't mean to sound harsh here or suggest that your boyfriend isn't attractive etc, but when you're really in love with someone it can be so easy to assume that they are as attractive to everyone else as they are to you. Due to being in love with them, you idolise them and can think that they are far better than you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.