Turn on thread page Beta

Intercalating - Kings or Barts?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am an external and I need to decide whether to intercalate in physiology at Kings or Sports and exericise medicine at Queen Mary's.

Has anyone intercalated there? Or even done the courses? I have heard that the queens course is harder to get into so is it silly to waste the opportuity but maybe physiology would be more useful?? I think I would enjoy the content on both courses.

Please help, thanks

ReputationRep:
    How have you got a Barts offer already?!?! Have all the Barts courses been told?? (Apologies, am also an external but currently holding no offers, therefore a little panicked).

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot of good things from students here about the Sports and exercise med Bsc. It seems to be pretty popular around here as well.

They're very different degrees though, which would you prefer to study? Why did you pick such different ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    How have you got a Barts offer already?!?! Have all the Barts courses been told?? (Apologies, am also an external but currently holding no offers, therefore a little panicked).
    Hey,

Yes I have an offer. From what I am aware, no not all the offers have been given for barts (there is another girl in my year who has not heard). But my friend has heard from the infection and immunity course. What have you applied for?

I know they seem different courses but they are both what I am intrested in. And as they are quite different it is making it harder to decide!

I just wondered if anyone had done any of the courses If I do not want to go into sports medicine would it still be worth it? I think I would enjoy it, and I have always found physiology intresting and I have heard good things of the extreme physiology module

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nixternik)
    Hey,

From what I am aware, no not all the offers have been given for barts (there is another girl in my year who has not heard). But my friend has heard from the infection and immunity course. What have you applied for? And what uni you from?

I know they seem different courses but they are both what I am intrested in. And as they are quite different it is making it harder to decide!

I just wondered if anyone had done any of the courses If I do not want to go into sports medicine would it still be worth it? I think I would enjoy it, and I have always found physiology intresting and I have heard good things of the extreme physiology module
    I just got an offer today for the Biomedical Engineering course I'm at Aberdeen - no one else from here applied to Barts, AFAIK.

Tbh I don't think it particularly matters what you do your BSc in, so long as you do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    physiology at kings is pretty easy to get into, everyone from my uni who applied this year got a place, we're talking 5+ people. not amazing grades either, average students. i know someone who graduated from the course last year with a 1st, he said that the course isn't particularly fascinating but it's relatively easy to do well in it, quite a few people got a 1st

ReputationRep:
    The Sports Med iBSc here is very very very popular. Probably on par with (if not more competitive than) the Medical Education iBSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    The Sports Med iBSc here is very very very popular. Probably on par with (if not more competitive than) the Medical Education iBSc.
    What is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    What is that?
    Doctors need to educate their students in addition to treating their patients so this course essentially gives you the background knowledge to understand various*ways people learn, why they learn that way and how knowing this could help shape the structure of medical education. It aims to answer questions such as why we use pbls as a means of teaching and how we can improve ways in delivering the medical course by trying different teaching methods. It also evaluates different means of assessment for students and doctors and whether these work/are fair/are accurate or not. There are some more interesting bits that look at what it is about neurology (so called neurophobia) that makes people terrified to learn it/more difficult to grasp? We study the transition from 'medical student' to 'doctor' and how this can be made smoother and also look at how doctors, once they qualify, could continue to develop their medical knowledge, so it's not just related to medical school courses.*

Mind numbingly dull for many, right up my street though!

ReputationRep:
    I remember when that was a half-arsed pipe dream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I remember when that was a half-arsed pipe dream!
    It seems to have all changed now I guess.

They really sold it well at the iBSc fayre this year too! Prime position right near the entrance!

ReputationRep:
    It seems to have all changed now I guess.

They really sold it well at the iBSc fayre this year too! Prime position right near the entrance!
    Whose running it now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Whose running it now?
    Viv Cook, Sandra Nicholson and Jon Fuller. The first two interviewed me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.