Turn on thread page Beta

Airline Food - High Flier or Not worth all that Altitude!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's talk about Airline food! The most talked about "food" other than dreaded Hospital Food.

Love it or hate it?
    Pics?

Well let's discuss.
    Let this thread take flight.

Let me start us off!

Virgin Atlantic Economy

British Airways (World Traveller)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Let's talk about Airline food! The most talked about "food" other than dreaded Hospital Food.

Love it or hate it?
    Pics?

Well let's discuss.
    Let this thread take flight.

Let me start us off!

Virgin Atlantic Economy

British Airways (World Traveller)
    Can tell you something, the first one looks a lot better. I flew business class with BA to New York, and it didn't look as good as that at all. The fact there's a GU pudding impresses me, I had no branded foods that I recognised!

ReputationRep:

Cathay Pacific (Economy class) It was actually quite lush! Portion size was tiny though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Can tell you something, the first one looks a lot better. I flew business class with BA to New York, and it didn't look as good as that at all. The fact there's a GU pudding impresses me, I had no branded foods that I recognised!
    Really? In terms of many things , BA has not impressed me as much as Virgin. I quite like Virgin food better than BA food. Although I do like thier "All-Day deli" What other airline. Feeds you a dinner,dessert and a box of sandwiches,cake/yoghurt and a drink for you take when you get off the plane or to eat right there and then if you wish.

But like you said; The GU Pudding is fantastic. I am yet to try a GU pudding but hear and see that they are magnificent. I wanna have a pop at that *****!

Saying that my guts went out of whack when I last had a meal with Virgin.Let's hope this summer will be diffrent

ReputationRep:
    I don't pay for airline food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Really? In terms of many things , BA has not impressed me as much as Virgin. I quite like Virgin food better than BA food. Although I do like thier "All-Day deli" What other airline. Feeds you a dinner,dessert and a box of sandwiches,cake/yoghurt and a drink for you take when you get off the plane or to eat right there and then if you wish.

But like you said; The GU Pudding is fantastic. I am yet to try a GU pudding but hear and see that they are magnificent. I wanna have a pop at that *****!

Saying that my guts went out of whack when I last had a meal with Virgin.Let's hope this summer will be diffrent
    Oh, GU puddings are epic. I encourage you to indulge! Can't get much worse than Easy Jet meals though. I swear, the vegetables were so overcooked they we're a mashy texture and the tiny little roll they gave was so hard. Ugh. Bit shocking when you consider it's an extra £15-£30 for a meal on a plane when you get that quality. If you paid 30 for a dish in a restaurant, you'd be pissed if it arrived like that!

ReputationRep:
    Ah man, I do love airline food. My mum's going first class, and then returning premium economy when she goes to Aus later in the year, and I'm seriously jealous just for the food alone

ReputationRep:
    You guys take pictures of your airline food? Righhttttttt

Edit - Monarch has some sexy chicken breast

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone watch Heston's Mission Impossible (or whatever it was called), where he developed some airline food? It leaves the kitchens on the ground looking and tasting really nice, but the heating in the on-board oven just decimates it! He also found that most of our sense of taste is impaired in cabin conditions (I can't remember if it was to do with the humidity or altitude or what), but the umami flavour is still as strong. He made some dishes with extra umami flavouring so that they actually taste of something!

In my experience, for anything other than breakfast, the vegetarian option is normally nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Ah man, I do love airline food. My mum's going first class, and then returning premium economy when she goes to Aus later in the year, and I'm seriously jealous just for the food alone
    Seriously :lolwut:

Whenever I have airline food it always tastes like pre–masticated plastic. Even the bread seems a little... Wierd.

ReputationRep:
    I love it! I have the vegetarian option. It's so yum yum, even when it's the economy pleb-meal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Did anyone watch Heston's Mission Impossible (or whatever it was called), where he developed some airline food? It leaves the kitchens on the ground looking and tasting really nice, but the heating in the on-board oven just decimates it! He also found that most of our sense of taste is impaired in cabin conditions (I can't remember if it was to do with the humidity or altitude or what), but the umami flavour is still as strong. He made some dishes with extra umami flavouring so that they actually taste of something!

In my experience, for anything other than breakfast, the vegetarian option is normally nicer.
    I watched that. It looked so difficult! I do feel for the Cabin crew having to get it all out in those conditions. To be fair, usually if you're on a flight it means you're off on holiday anyway so.. SOD the food, bring me the shots! Let's all have liquid lunches

ReputationRep:
    I'd never pay to have airline food but Monarch airlines gave it to everyone for free and it wasn't that bad. I think it was sausage meat, beans and egg or something like that with a little orange juice, a roll and a muffin. Not bad for free.

BA gave free sandwiches on my last flight but they were terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Singapore Airlines, First class...

ReputationRep:
    continental airlines was great chicken and rice, with bread and a chocolate cake. that was the first time id ever eaten airline food, as iv only even been on thomas cook before and they always cover everything with gravey. yuck.

ReputationRep:

Gulf Air First Class

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, plane food stinks! I hate it. My family all chow down like it's a gourmet steak while I'm struggling not to hurl at the sight of it.

The smell of the food + really bad motion sickness = extremely bad flying experiences

Not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Seriously :lolwut:

Whenever I have airline food it always tastes like pre–masticated plastic. Even the bread seems a little... Wierd.
    Seriously. I don't know what it is, but I could actually live off that quite happily. Maybe it's just the altitude messing with my tastebuds or something...

ReputationRep:
    Turkish Airlines has some amazing food in both Economy and Business. British Airways Economy is junk compared to it. Other airlines I've been on include Monarch, KLM, Ryanair and EasyJet, but none of them had any food worth remarking on, and on the latter two you have to pay for even the most basic of amenities, like water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)

I LOVE hestons shows! im pretty sure it was altitude and humidity, but i liked the ideas he had! he always has such a struggle trying to convince the head chefs though! Wasnt so keen on his nasal spray idea though :s

In response to the OP, normally its not too bad, although when me and my bf go away in june weve decided to save ourselves £15 each by not having meals cos we know we wont spend that between us taking a sandwich on board for just a 4 hour flight!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2013
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.