Turn on thread page Beta

Airline Food - High Flier or Not worth all that Altitude!? watch

If you stuck a half-dead horse in front of my 5 hours into a 9 flight then I'd eat it so I've never really had many complaints about the food since it's been gone before I get the chance to survey it. It's mostly some kind of meat covered in some kind of sauce with some kind of steamed vegetable and a starchy product.

I like it best when you get 6 or 7 different little meals even if it takes an age to unwrap them all. On the way back from New York I asked for a Kosher meal which was 8 or 9 different food-stuffs all individually wrapped and lots of different things, much more interesting than meat and sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, I love airplane food. No idea why, it's just delicious.

It's fun peeling the foil off the little tub of water!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I quite like airline food tbh. Its hardly the best meal you will have but coming back from Egypt and actually having bangers and mash real pork for the first time in 3 weeks was great.

ReputationRep:
    :puke: Hate, hate, hate.

I bring my own sandwiches then just eat the pre-packed can't-go-wrong bits on the plane like cookies and juice. I always fly AA now and their food is better than others I've flown with but the main dish is still usually inedible.

I always used to get stomach aches and other problems in the few days after flying but since I've stopped eating the food I haven't had these problems. I'm pretty sure it's not sanitary, I've read articles saying that as well.

ReputationRep:
    I save myself the £15 and buy a Boots meal deal. Plane food is yucky.

ReputationRep:
    plane food is disgusting no matter where you go

i just starve myself tbh

ReputationRep:
    I normally fly either KLM or Singapore Airlines, not sure on the economy class but on Business and First class the food can be pretty good and on the A380 on Singapore Airlines you do get food that taste as if it was freshly cooked.

ReputationRep:
    Emirates food is gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    Qatar airways is amazing
    And all the other Arab airlines
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Got a kick arse sandwich from BMI last time haha

Did anyone see that hestons mission impossible?

ReputationRep:
    Going to sound like a gigantic believe, but;

Singapore airlines - first class, especially the chicken Satay, is to die for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Got a kick arse sandwich from BMI last time haha

Did anyone see that hestons mission impossible?
    Yes! Posted about it earlier A lot of his stuff is way too far-fetched - that "tasting menu" with orange beetroot jelly cubes and stuff...but when he does something sensible, like that extra-umami shepherd's pie, it works!

ReputationRep:
    All plane food I've ever had has been pretty average to be honest...I believe I was with BA.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Yes! Posted about it earlier A lot of his stuff is way too far-fetched - that "tasting menu" with orange beetroot jelly cubes and stuff...but when he does something sensible, like that extra-umami shepherd's pie, it works!
    Ah damn i thought id read them all haha! Yehh but it wouldnt be heston if it wasnt far fetched! Id love to give his tasting menu a try too but he pretty much hit the nail on the head with the umami be so interesting to try it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobilina0)
    I'd never pay to have airline food but Monarch airlines gave it to everyone for free and it wasn't that bad. I think it was sausage meat, beans and egg or something like that with a little orange juice, a roll and a muffin. Not bad for free.
    BA gave free sandwiches on my last flight but they were terrible.
    It wasn't free - you paid for it when you bought your ticket. You just didn't have any choice in paying for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Well I encourage you to fund my indulgence judging by prices. :yeah:
    The Bank of Smirnoff is in bankruptcy

Now that sounds grim. Stelios would find it up his arse. That is where **** comesout :smug:

(Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Oh, GU puddings are epic. I encourage you to indulge! Can't get much worse than Easy Jet meals though. I swear, the vegetables were so overcooked they we're a mashy texture and the tiny little roll they gave was so hard. Ugh. Bit shocking when you consider it's an extra £15-£30 for a meal on a plane when you get that quality. If you paid 30 for a dish in a restaurant, you'd be pissed if it arrived like that!

ReputationRep:
    I've been on BA Economy, Jet Airways, Quantas and TAM LINHAS, and had really good food on each. I love aeroplane food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    Singapore Airlines, First class...

Mmmm, the dog noodles look good.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin Atlantic was the best [commerical food] I've sampled.

BA was ok, Lufthansa not bad. Continental was dire, Air Canada not much better.
    Most other flights were short haul so not even worth mentioning.

Best food I've ever had while flying was on an RAF Nimrod, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    Mmmm, the dog noodles look good.
    SIA imo have the best service and food, so they can't really go wrong.
    Mind you, I did once empty out the entire planes supply of Satays in one night, people weren't getting any for lunch later on. :evil:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2013
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.