Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Airline Food - High Flier or Not worth all that Altitude!? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    SIA imo have the best service and food, so they can't really go wrong.
    Mind you, I did once empty out the entire planes supply of Satays in one night, people weren't getting any for lunch later on. :evil:
    Chinamen beat and eat dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    Chinamen beat and eat dogs.
    Quite.

Good thing Singapore is predominantly Malaysian then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Best food I've ever had while flying was on an RAF Nimrod, though.
    It can't have been a military flight then! Not a white box with bugger all in it? Foul!

The best food I ever had was on an UA flight- pizza and icecream. It was just magical!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birduk)
    It can't have been a military flight then! Not a white box with bugger all in it? Foul!

The best food I ever had was on an UA flight- pizza and icecream. It was just magical!
    Would be hard-pressed to fly in a Nimrod on a non-mil flight...

Nope, was a really surprisingly good lasagna. And the bonus feature was being able to eat it with a proper knife and fork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Would be hard-pressed to fly in a Nimrod on a non-mil flight...

Nope, was a really surprisingly good lasagna. And the bonus feature was being able to eat it with a proper knife and fork.
    You must be RAF then- never had a hot meal on a Nimrod, luck to get anything on a Herc.

Blooming CRAB AIR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birduk)
    You must be RAF then- never had a hot meal on a Nimrod, luck to get anything on a Herc.

Blooming CRAB AIR
    They don't waste the 'good' food on those in transit, rather on those doing big circles over the Irish Sea. Besides, on a Herc the Loadie eats it all...
    Sentry food is supposed to be pretty good, too, although their kitchenette leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the Nimrod's.

ReputationRep:
    Quite.

Good thing Singapore is predominantly Malaysian then.
    I am going to kill you and eat your soul.

yum yum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    I am going to kill you and eat your soul.

yum yum.
    Yes, and I'm going to rip your head off and **** down your neck.

Back on topic: Airlines should really give bigger portions. It's not enough for a hungry lad like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Turkish Airlines has some amazing food in both Economy and Business. British Airways Economy is junk compared to it. Other airlines I've been on include Monarch, KLM, Ryanair and EasyJet, but none of them had any food worth remarking on, and on the latter two you have to pay for even the most basic of amenities, like water.
    Yes, completely true. Turkish airlines does have the best economy class food nowadays (in the old days it wasn't). No wonder it got that SkyTrax award for the best onboard catering. :cool:

(Original post by Iorek)
    I normally fly either KLM or Singapore Airlines, not sure on the economy class but on Business and First class the food can be pretty good and on the A380 on Singapore Airlines you do get food that taste as if it was freshly cooked.
    Never been on KLM, although I have heard of good from them. Singapore Airlines economy used to be very good, although it is not so good these days (but still good nonetheless.) I have also been on a SQ A380 flight and the food was of higher standard then on a normal SQ flight for some reason - maybe just to impress the passengers? That is the only explanation I can think of.

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Qatar airways is amazing
    And all the other Arab airlines
    Qatar is actually quite bad from many accounts I have heard. Also, their company values and morals and work standards/ethics suck. Many flight attendants say that they have been abused by male stewardesses of higher rank.

The fact is that if you fill out just one complaint form for a flight attendant due to poor service - 100% chance she will be fired the next day. :jiggy:

Going to sound like a gigantic believe, but;

Singapore airlines - first class, especially the chicken Satay, is to die for.
    :drool:. Been on their business class several times but never first. I can imagine how nice it would taste though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Yes, and I'm going to rip your head off and **** down your neck.

Back on topic: Airlines should really give bigger portions. It's not enough for a hungry lad like me.
    I gave your mum herpes

ReputationRep:

This was what I was presented with on my three-hour flight with Air China from Beijing to Chengdu. I think a steaming pile of dung would have looked more appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Air Canada's moslem meal was horrible
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    Let's talk about Airline food! The most talked about "food" other than dreaded Hospital Food.

Love it or hate it?
    Pics?

Well let's discuss.
    Let this thread take flight.

Let me start us off!

Virgin Atlantic Economy

British Airways (World Traveller)
    WHAAAAAAAA? I want that! The only good thing about Cathay Pacific is that the air hostesses leave the food trolley out when everyone goes to sleep. And if you ask, they give you Ben and Jerry's but that depends what flight you're on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    It wasn't free - you paid for it when you bought your ticket. You just didn't have any choice in paying for it or not.
    There was a choice, we selected that we did not want an on flight meal and so did not get charged for the meals. We saw the price drop after we put no for the meal. So it was free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorHuman)
    Yes, completely true. Turkish airlines does have the best economy class food nowadays (in the old days it wasn't). No wonder it got that SkyTrax award for the best onboard catering. :cool:

Never been on KLM, although I have heard of good from them. Singapore Airlines economy used to be very good, although it is not so good these days (but still good nonetheless.) I have also been on a SQ A380 flight and the food was of higher standard then on a normal SQ flight for some reason - maybe just to impress the passengers? That is the only explanation I can think of.

Qatar is actually quite bad from many accounts I have heard. Also, their company values and morals and work standards/ethics suck. Many flight attendants say that they have been abused by male stewardesses of higher rank.

The fact is that if you fill out just one complaint form for a flight attendant due to poor service - 100% chance she will be fired the next day. :jiggy:

:drool:. Been on their business class several times but never first. I can imagine how nice it would taste though!

Are you being serious, when I went on Qatar and Emirates before it seemed, i was a long distances flight, out of the 4 meals they served me only one was bad and the service was fine because i didnt need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Are you being serious, when I went on Qatar and Emirates before it seemed, i was a long distances flight, out of the 4 meals they served me only one was bad and the service was fine because i didnt need it.
    I am not saying their service was bad - it is good but their record for employee treatment is very, very poor. If you want to know more or why or want me to prove it, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    British Airways have really nice food in their club and first cabins. I know it sounds really silly but they had the most amazing cheese I have ever had, ever!

Gulf air also have some nice food. Its even quite good on their short haul flights as well.

Overall I quite like airline food. I think once, on Ryanair I had a really disgusting cup of tea and sandwich but that was about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorHuman)
    I am not saying their service was bad - it is good but their record for employee treatment is very, very poor. If you want to know more or why or want me to prove it, PM me.
    why would they do tht :confused: only think i remember was that some of the stewards did look tired

ReputationRep:
    plane food :yy:

I love having my food in all different compartments and whatnot

Mind you, I'm a bit obssessed with flying so maybe I have rose coloured glasses on (plane +food=Heaven)

I'm not one to turn down food though

No plane food for me in years only been flying short haul recently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    If you stuck a half-dead horse in front of my 5 hours into a 9 flight then I'd eat it so I've never really had many complaints about the food since it's been gone before I get the chance to survey it. It's mostly some kind of meat covered in some kind of sauce with some kind of steamed vegetable and a starchy product.

I like it best when you get 6 or 7 different little meals even if it takes an age to unwrap them all. On the way back from New York I asked for a Kosher meal which was 8 or 9 different food-stuffs all individually wrapped and lots of different things, much more interesting than meat and sauce.
    Sure you want a half-dead horse and not half a dead horse? May require some skill and talent to kill it/ eat it while it thrashes about in the confined area in a plane.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.