Turn on thread page Beta

Any last minute advice for a driving test at GLASGOW BALLIESTON? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narfer)
    Sounds like you were on a promise

She had me do PP - didn't touch the kerb, but in an astonishing turn up for the books I was way out (always fine during lessons) - think she gave me a minor as I was going back and forth trying to get it "just right".

When I passed my test I had RRC - I remember being chuffed when I realised I'd nailed it absolutely spot on (the examiner would have been doing well to better my position and observations lol)
    Then she doesn't even show face at my 4th test and Balmer was left to pass us.

With Smilie i hit the kerb on full view of all the instructors waiting outside the TC for there candidates when parking outside the test centre. I think my instructor would've been more than me tbh as a result seen as she liked to bull**** about how her candidates are the best. I just lol as i had never hit the kerb in any previous test or lessons.

Lol when i passed i almost hit a rusty pole on the kerb when doing my parallel park. I honestly thought i had kerbed the car and balmer rolled down the window to look out as i neared the bloody thing. I thought i had kerbed it because the car seem to get ridiculously close to it supposing i was still on the road. However this relaxed me greatly with this thought in mind thinking i had failed for the rest of the test.:rolleyes:

I also fuked up because a bus was parked right at the bus stop. There was no shelter just a sign with a schedule. However i couldn't see it. I was right on a set of traffic lights and the bus was obstructing my view. So i sat behind it for like 5mins then balmer said "i think you'll find this is a bus stop" as he could see the schedule post. At that i done my observation to move round the bus. But at that the lights changed and i just taged behind the bus.

ReputationRep:
    H all I am new to this forum , I got my test on monday 29 @ 9.37am and nervous any one got any tips or know wot route you get taken on I am from the other end of city but this was a last min booking as all other dsa centers are full at min till end of june
    I am 37 and having to retest after passing my test in N. CYPRUS as i lived there most of my life but i am glasgow born an bred
    just last min nerves any helps or tips most appreciated
    TY

UPDATE : I PASSED HAPPY DAYS

ReputationRep:
    The important thing you can do is stay calm! The examiner wants to see a confident, relaxed driver who is well prepared to deal with any situations that may arise when on the roads.
    If you do stall or mess up a manoeuvre, handbrake first before anything else & give yourself plenty of time to think about what you need to do next & be ready. Don't rush into anything, that's how mistakes happen.
    If your nerves are really getting the better of you, pull over for a few minutes & explain that you need to calm down - they won't mark you down for it.
    Mirrors and signals are vital, keep checking every 10 secs, especially when you brake/slow down. Keep your eyes ahead but cast glances everywhere to be well prepared for any emergency vehicles/cars pulling out of junctions.
    If you're unsure about speed limits e.g. 30 or 40 then stick to 34/35 until you're sure and then drop/pick it up immediately. Look for signs to help you - side roads which are a 20, hidden road signs, lampposts etc.
    I hope this offers help to anyone in any way, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I passed here 1st time !!! my examiner was a nice guy called TOMMY FAY he is fair and decent in my opinion as most of my test I was driving at speed of aprox 33/34 mph , not the 30mph limit aas in the real world we all go a bit faster , he noticed this and told me at the end , Also a point to REMEMBER IS " BUS LANES " The ones on the Edinburgh Road are ones with hour of operation after between 7am and 930am they are in use BUT AFTER 930am you can and will be expected to use them .BUT during 4pm to 630pm you cant . Its complex BUT IF YOU DONT /DO USE THEM WHEN YOU CAN / CANT ITS A AUTOMATIC FAIL :eek:
    Main thing is be calm I was on edge most of the exam but best way to use it isthink of it as a " lesson" and you are showing someone "HOW TO DRIVE"
    I had a redbull and off I went ,
    I wish you well and best of luck , once you pass INSURANCE !! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH Well I found a good company online who insured me straight away the day i passed at a cheap rate if you need there details get in touch they specilise in awlward and new drivers
    Good luck and happy motoring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GLESGA LAD)
    Well I passed here 1st time !!! my examiner was a nice guy called TOMMY FAY he is fair and decent in my opinion as most of my test I was driving at speed of aprox 33/34 mph , not the 30mph limit aas in the real world we all go a bit faster , he noticed this and told me at the end , Also a point to REMEMBER IS " BUS LANES " The ones on the Edinburgh Road are ones with hour of operation after between 7am and 930am they are in use BUT AFTER 930am you can and will be expected to use them .BUT during 4pm to 630pm you cant . Its complex BUT IF YOU DONT /DO USE THEM WHEN YOU CAN / CANT ITS A AUTOMATIC FAIL :eek:
    Main thing is be calm I was on edge most of the exam but best way to use it isthink of it as a " lesson" and you are showing someone "HOW TO DRIVE"
    I had a redbull and off I went ,
    I wish you well and best of luck , once you pass INSURANCE !! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH Well I found a good company online who insured me straight away the day i passed at a cheap rate if you need there details get in touch they specilise in awlward and new drivers
    Good luck and happy motoring
    Hi what's the insurance company called you went with? Congrats on passing by the way

ReputationRep:
    I've failed for the 6th time at this test centre today. Had a variety of examiners in my experience. However worst one I've had is John Balmer. He told me to stop "lingering" when I was doing my manoeuvre- when there were cars coming from all directions! It a was a reverse round the corner and I had to stop frequently to let cars go by that were close.
    Other than that he was completely putting me off by facial expressions and huffing noises. I am7 months preganant so mentioned this at the beginning of my test. He replied saying if we need to do emergency stop then it needs to be done. If you don't want to take the risk then don't do the test! I mean obviously if a child runs across the road I would do an emergency stop!- not refusing to do that! But if doesn't need to be done then I shouldnt be asked to.

I was shaking and sweating by the end of the test. That's how under pressure I felt.
    Hopefully get someone else next time!

ReputationRep:
    I just failed today with John Balmer. He was looking at me to my face all the time and is f.....cking annoyed me,and he is so serious which makes me more nervous. Im a foreigner so my english is not 100% perfect and he knows that.,but im not an idiot. Sometimes i felt im a retard woman with this man.He said i made two serious mistake (which i think was not serious because nobody was in danger ) ,and he touched me steering wheel two times.For what??????I was so angry!Anyway,it was not my lucky day today.....

ReputationRep:
    I got Balmer yesterday. I found him to be really nice. He could see how shot my nerves were. I ended up on a route out to Uddingston. Nerves got the better of me and I messed up on a huge roundabout.( My instructor had warned me I was too hesitant-took the plunge and tried to go for it) back fired. If I had just been hesitant would that have been a minor? Instead of the major I got. The road was a national speed limit road and was all diversions orange bollards. Complete nightmare. To be honest I hadn't slept well and think my eyes were stinging by the time I reached all the orange...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Baby-bear888)
    I got Balmer yesterday. I found him to be really nice. He could see how shot my nerves were. I ended up on a route out to Uddingston. Nerves got the better of me and I messed up on a huge roundabout.( My instructor had warned me I was too hesitant-took the plunge and tried to go for it) back fired. If I had just been hesitant would that have been a minor? Instead of the major I got. The road was a national speed limit road and was all diversions orange bollards. Complete nightmare. To be honest I hadn't slept well and think my eyes were stinging by the time I reached all the orange...
    My instructor always said, better to get a minor for being a little hesitant than it is to get a major for going too soon. Within limits obviously, you'll get a major if you're repeatedly holding up traffic for no good reason, but you won't be failed for missing a gap.

ReputationRep:
    Joke of a test route ,Taking you on slip road ended up in uddingston,chances are this is the route you will be took on first time,guys a prick as well as my instructor ,wont mention any names but good chance youl be took on dual carraige way which your instructor wont prob be taking you on ,Oh aye got a major for my reverse around corner as well although it was parked good for observation -apparently ther was a car ,Need to wait another 3 month or find a cancelation ,sounds like they just like taking yu on bad route so yu fail

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 13, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.