Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-procrastination tool! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend just linked me to this - it's an extension for Google Chrome that lets you restrict what hours you're allowed on certain sites. Apparently there's something similar for Firefox.

If you're anything like me, this will save your life. In an hour of "sitting down to work", I'll spend at least the first half hour checking my Facebook, TSR, Youtube, various email accounts, Facebook again (just to make sure no-one's said anything in the last ten minutes), then opening up Spotify and deciding what to listen to. Finally I'll actually start some work, but then my phone will tell me that someone's sent me something on Facebook, and the whole checking cycle will start again. Not hugely productive.

I've got it set so that between 11am and 9.30pm, I'm allowed an hour in total on Facebook, TSR, Youtube, iPlayer, 4OD, and a couple of other procrastination sites. I can also set it on "The Nuclear Option" - a formidable sounding setting where you can lock down anything except your "allowed" list (for me, that's my uni's online resources page, Wikipedia, and my uni email account) for a set time. I just did more work in an hour of The Nuclear Option than in the rest of the day.

I'm in no way affiliated with this extension, but the majority of posters on TSR have exams coming up in the next couple of months, and TSR is a haven for procrastinators! I just wanted to share the love.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't new.

Could just use another web browser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    This isn't new.

Could just use another web browser
    I never said it was new; I only just found out about it.

Yeah you could. The only person that's hurting is yourself though...If I can block stuff from Chrome, it'll stop me from the impulsive checking of FB etc. Opening up another browser is effort, especially when I only have IE as my other browser, and that runs so slowly that by the time it's open, my time on Chrome has reset.

ReputationRep:
    I heard about something similar from a friend and she uses it all the time. Because I have so much to do at the minute I don't have time to procrastinate but I'm sure this will come in handy at some point. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you're a true procrastinator, you would just un-install it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatechip02)
    I heard about something similar from a friend and she uses it all the time. Because I have so much to do at the minute I don't have time to procrastinate but I'm sure this will come in handy at some point. Thanks
    That's the thing for me: I don't have time to procrastinate, and yet I still do! Consciously I know that I only have a week left before I go back to uni, and yet I've revised about a quarter of the amount that I was expecting to over these holidays. And I'm still on TSR! I don't have the self-motivation to stop myself procrastinating, but I have just enough to download this and set the timers so that something else can stop me from procrastinating :P

(Original post by lazy smurf)
    I could, but in the time it takes to open up the settings and get round to uninstalling it, I generally think twice and realise it's for my own good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    Killed it.

ReputationRep:
    I cant be bothered setting it up :erm:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    i dno maybe ud have to get someone to set it up for u lol if ur a true procrastinator then u may jus install it and then put the pass in everytime =/

ReputationRep:
    This sounded great! So I went to install it and found that I had already installed it 6 months ago but never got round to setting it up. I procrastinate like a boss.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good...I've been looking for something like this on crome. I've got it now and we'll see if it works at some point for me.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know of any alternatives? The problem with this is that you can just click "uninstall" and within 5 seconds your back to facebook.

Are there any programmes that you can't uninstall for the given time frame?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alert123)
    Does anybody know of any alternatives? The problem with this is that you can just click "uninstall" and within 5 seconds your back to facebook.

Are there any programmes that you can't uninstall for the given time frame?
    The developer has submitted a request to Chrome to be allowed to remove the uninstall option, but that means you couldn't even get rid of it when your exams etc are over...You can set a "challenge", where you have to type a long paragraph without any mistakes before you can change any settings though

ReputationRep:
    That's such a good idea, i'm now only allowed an hour between 09:00 and 17:00 (my normal revision hours) because i do spend a lot of time wasting time...only wish there was one for internet explorer too because if i got really desperate i could just use that

ReputationRep:
    I tried to extend my time limit and it started arguing with me :lolwut: Saying that if I continued, a kitten would be electrocuted... :sad:

Ah well, It stopped me from extending the time limit :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    This sounded great! So I went to install it and found that I had already installed it 6 months ago but never got round to setting it up. I procrastinate like a boss.
    (Original post by Tabers)
    Sounds good...I've been looking for something like this on crome. I've got it now and we'll see if it works at some point for me.
    :rofl:

I'm procrastinating by looking at this thread. I'm on my iPhone so I can't even pretend I'm going to download it...

ReputationRep:
    I have a program called Cold Turkey which I've found to be quite good at blocking procrastination sites... but right now I am procrastinating from turning that on. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.