Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should we ban the grand national due to animal cruelty? watch

• View Poll Results: Should we ban the grand national due to animal cruelty?
    Yes, ban it.
    46.84%
    No, don't ban it.
    53.16%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    /thread
    Yes actually it will run it is wacked with the whips so hard, and the reason why they do run is because they want to please the person on them as that is the sort of loyal and loving animal they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jorja1234)
    Yes and you are only a stupid human being.Who cares if they are "only horse" they have feelings and they have a life, they are beautiful animals, how would you of liked to go through all of that pain in something you were forced to do.you wouldnt like it so why are you saying it is ok for horses to go through it?
    The horses don't mind running. They live comfortably lives and are trained from birth for it.

So what if you love horse racing, at the end of the day it isnt about what you like it is about the animals welfare.How can you say no to something so cruel and harsh
    How is it harsh that I love horse racing and I don't want any horse racing to be banned, I suppose that there should be better standards on looking after the horses and doing everything within the associations power to make sure horses aren't as likely to be hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    It doesn't matter. The horse is treated well in this sport for the risks it takes and the owner owns the horse. You can't ban a race because some horses die. If this was banned then how long before all animal related sports were banned?
    Well you can... Surely that would be the major reason behind any ban on things like this - to stop animal cruelty.

It's something I'd like to see banned but I'm not going to press for it - there are far worse things going on that need to be sorted out first, like the shocking state many farmers in Britain leave their animals in (better than some countries I know, but still disgusting).

ReputationRep:
    Yes the jockeys know the risks but the horses? Do they have a say? No they don't. The winner of the GN yesterday was disciplined for overuse of the whip so the horse obviously went through a good beating to obtain their "win". Personally I think it needs lower fences, fewer horses to allow more space over the jumps and a shorter length. I also feel that in order to win (like endurance horse riding) the horse should be able to pass a full vetting AFTER the race. Perhaps then more thought would be given to the horses.

However alot of good comes from it too, alot of the money generated in the industry is put back into the horses rehabilitation and improving their care. No one would be able to ban it anyway there's too much money involved...

ReputationRep:
    No.

It's not like they go through the same torture as circus animals.

ReputationRep:
    Every year after the national if horses die this debate starts for a few days. Every year it happens and every year the National carries on. Its not going anywhere! its a national event a british event!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Well then, surely everyone that's quoting me is just reaching the same conclusion - that the jumps should be taken away. You can't ban the grand national cause it's just such a huge thing, and let's face it there are worse lives the horses could live... And tbh, I dont care that taking the jumps away would make the race less interesting, one slip up on those and you endanger so many lives, it's seriously not worth it!
    Make it a flat race and nobody will show up. Plus they start the horses racing ridiculously early, which generally causes problems in later life. The horses are treated like royalty. One slip up in a lot of sports endangers lives... I doubt you'll get anything that could be risky banned.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Absolutely. It's savage and barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shan<3)
    Make it a flat race and nobody will show up. Plus they start the horses racing ridiculously early, which generally causes problems in later life. The horses are treated like royalty. One slip up in a lot of sports endangers lives... I doubt you'll get anything that could be risky banned.
    There are loads of flat horse races that go on throughout the year, doesnt deter people. They dont go there to watch horses fall and die, they go to get money and dress up in pretty outfits. Also, in most dangerous sports, those in danger are consenting and aware of the risks. I'm pretty sure horses are not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it should be banned and if not their should be an obligation to allow horses that have career ending injuries to live out their days in peace rather than being put down to save money.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it should be banned without a doubt, it is cruel and unfair..... many horse break their legs and die, and most get put down, when they become to old or not fit enough to race e.g dont make any money... same with dog races and other so called sports such as fox hunting and bird shooting.... its disgusting, its destroying nature... life.... and beautiful, natural things.... we seem to exploit everything these days.... whale hunting etc.... the list is endless....

ReputationRep:
    Yes actually it will run it is wacked with the whips so hard, and the reason why they do run is because they want to please the person on them as that is the sort of loyal and loving animal they are
    erm have you ever even watched it? most of the horses that fall get back up and run without the jockey.

ReputationRep:
    For all who have said "the owners know the risks" I'm more concerned about the horses who don't have a choice and don't know that they might die.

It's so hard, because while most horses don't die, it still seems cruel to take that chance at all for something which is just a sport at the end of the day.

I'm wondering whether people would be more keen to ban it if it weren't one of the highest earning sporting events of the year..

I'm biased though because it upsets me to even see people whipping the horses, never mind seeing them dying as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Oh **** off hippie! Every owner and jockey knows full well the risks of the national. Nobody forces them to enter it and yet they choose to anyway.
    Yes, but the horses are the ones who most often die and they are the ones who are forced to enter the competition

I think the fences the horses are forced to make are far to large. Lower the fences or ban.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, are you really that stupid?
    Actually I'm not stupid and you don't have any grounds to call me stupid, just because you don't agree with my comment and opinions doesn't mean that you can insult me.

ReputationRep:
    Also people keep saying they don't agree with the whipping of the horses, if you actually bothered to watch the race then you would see that the whip rarely makes contact with the horse and often its whipping the air or the riders leg. This is because when you whip the air or the riders leg it makes a cracking noise which makes the horse run faster.
    The whips aren't also that hard and horses very rarely feel them because they have very thick skin and the horses body is designed so they feel very little pain. Jockeys are also already restricted to the amount of times that they can whip a horse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Yes. Absolutely. It's savage and barbaric.
    No. I watch the Grand National, I am hoping one day to go there- it is a fantastic event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    No. I watch the Grand National, I am hoping one day to go there- it is a fantastic event.
    Fantastic Events can be simultaneously Savage and Barbaric.

On topic, I'm personally of the opinion that the state has no right to intervene in this matter and therefore believe we should most definitely not ban the race. Beyond that I find the race as it is set up now absolutely abominable and animal cruelty of a grand order to the animals, a bit of bread and circuses traded for the health and lives of the horses involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    They die year on year, for the same reasons.
    Where were you last year? :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.