Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm on this admin apprenticeship thing where I get £105 a week for 10-6 mon-fri
    I was meant to be learning and starting an NVQ in admin
    none of this has happened and I have been here 7 months so far!
    I hate going in to work as all I do is sit in an office on my own! I've asked for more work or company and my manager just gives me a load of stuff to photocopy!!! While she does all the interesting stuff in an office full of people to keep her company.

But basically i have just been offered a job at B&Q and ill actually get more money doing 12 hours there then 37 at the other place! Plus all the people seem so lovely! I know ill be sooo much more happy there! plus im going to uni in 5 months and will give me more money to save for it.

I want to hand my notice in tomorrow and then leave the same day

on my contract it says I should give a week but B&Q want me to start properly next week! I don't think ill need a reference from them as i have done other jobs that give good references for me ! can i do this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes go! run like the wind bullseye!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you asked them about this NVQ you were meant to be doing, that haven't?

Good luck on getting the job at B & Q though, if it's more money and less hours, and a more enjoyable job (especially in the summer) then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Just leave. I do it all the time. They not going to sue you for goodness sake.

ReputationRep:
    You can do it, it's just frowned upon and you'll get a bad reference and probably not all your money but nothing can stop you just no longer turn up...the other option of course is to give a weeks notice and then phone in sick

ReputationRep:
    Just stick out the week, see if you can do your B&Q on the weekend while you leave your job.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell B&Q you need a week to leave your current job and that you've handed in your notice to them. It'll suck but it's good for a different reference. You should probably write in your letter of resignation that you haven't been given the chances to progress with your NVQ and this is a large factor in you leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellyboo)
    I'm on this admin apprenticeship thing where I get £105 a week for 10-6 mon-fri
    I was meant to be learning and starting an NVQ in admin
    none of this has happened and I have been here 7 months so far!
    I hate going in to work as all I do is sit in an office on my own! I've asked for more work or company and my manager just gives me a load of stuff to photocopy!!! While she does all the interesting stuff in an office full of people to keep her company.

But basically i have just been offered a job at B&Q and ill actually get more money doing 12 hours there then 37 at the other place! Plus all the people seem so lovely! I know ill be sooo much more happy there! plus im going to uni in 5 months and will give me more money to save for it.

I want to hand my notice in tomorrow and then leave the same day

on my contract it says I should give a week but B&Q want me to start properly next week! I don't think ill need a reference from them as i have done other jobs that give good references for me ! can i do this?
    You would be in breach of your contract of employment, and so your employer may deduct up to a week's pay from any money you are due.

ReputationRep:
    Have you accrued any holidays - often you can use these s your notice period. If you've been there 5 months you shaould have nearly 2 weeks, provided you haven't taken any holidays they may let you leave the same day - if they don't do it anyway at least you tried to do it properly

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. It's only a week! It will be over before you know it! Plus they will give you a (hopefully) good reference and wont dock any of your pay!

Be thankful you don't have a four week notice period like me...making getting a new job hard as they don't want to wait four weeks to fill a vacancy! I can't afford to lose a month's pay and get a bad reference by just walking out.

ReputationRep:
    Just leave. A bad reference from them if you already have good ones from others will make no difference whatsoever.

However, what always baffles me is why do people take admin apprenticeships? Surely they know it's going to be similar to watching paint dry...

ReputationRep:
    Give notice then call in sick for all 5 days.

What are they going to do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.