Turn on thread page Beta

When you started AS Maths, did C1 seem daunting? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im in Year 11 and since November we've been doing C1. They've put my in for the C1 exam in the summer and it's been mostly self study in class since my teacher is mostly focusing on the people who are retaking GCSE units. My teacher also lets us use MyMaths on the computer and that seems really helpful in explaining some parts of topics.

I'll be honest, C1 seems OK if I dedicated more time on it (and I actually had a teacher who was solely teaching us!) but when you first started AS Maths, did you see parts of C1 and struggle? Feel it's too hard but overcome it with putting the work in? Retake it?

Just wondering, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Type in this ISBN number
    978-0-582-83649-5

It's a book by Pearson Longman, Core 1 for OCR, by Keith Gordan, Janet Crawshaw and Karim Hirani. This book is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that you need for Core 1. For OCR board of course. There are books for AQA and Edexcel too.

To answer your question, no, I found C2 daunting, I got 91 through some semi-serious work, but I am retaking because it's scheduled at a fairly good time for me in the exam period, and they are easy marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    Im in Year 11 and since November we've been doing C1. They've put my in for the C1 exam in the summer and it's been mostly self study in class since my teacher is mostly focusing on the people who are retaking GCSE units. My teacher also lets us use MyMaths on the computer and that seems really helpful in explaining some parts of topics.

I'll be honest, C1 seems OK if I dedicated more time on it (and I actually had a teacher who was solely teaching us!) but when you first started AS Maths, did you see parts of C1 and struggle? Feel it's too hard but overcome it with putting the work in? Retake it?

Just wondering, thanks.
    Personally, no it didn't. But for some it would have. For me it was just GCSE extension. However, at the same time I was doing GCSEs my brother was doing Core 4. I looked at a paper and it scared the crap out of me and seemed impossible. I've now done Core 4 and I find it a doddle. Things will always seem a little daunting if you haven't learnt it, or currently learning it. No doubt, if I was to look at 3rd year Physics work at University I would be terrified, but when the time comes I'll probably be fine with it. As you said, just spend a little time and invest some effort into it. You should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)

Just wondering, thanks.
    I completely understand how your feeling, I felt the same when I started AS maths.
    But then something just clicked and it didn't seem difficult anymore. I'm sure that'll happen for you too!
    Just keeping doing the questions on each topic and it'll seem bearable soon

ReputationRep:
    When I did C1 I don't remember there being any new content in it at all, it was just stuff that we had learned for the Higher paper for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    First day of year 12: Homework from maths, read through the first 11 chapters of the textbook.

Fourth say of year 12, second maths lesson with that teacher: Right, C2. Literally

So no.

ReputationRep:
    I started off with M1, which to me led on far better from my GCSE syllabus. I haven't found C1 massively challenging- but I would find it immeasurably hard without a teacher. Can you get time with your teachers during lunch or break? A good maths A level is worth a cheeky retake at the end of the day, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's a matter of doing n amount of papers, when you've done n+1 you're safe

ReputationRep:
    C1 (and C2, parts of S1 and M1) was easy for me - I had covered pretty much all of the syllabus when studying for Additional Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to sound pompous but C1 was pretty much a joke. But then I did Additional Mathematics at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Not really because of add. maths. What was more daunting was having maths first day back and our teacher going 'Right you know all of this... turn to page 92.' Apparently that was enough to convince one girl in our class to drop maths :P

ReputationRep:
    I sort of underestimated C1 ... never do this either. Take each unit as it comes.

ReputationRep:
    Embarrassingly enough, for the first two weeks of sixth form I thought C1 was really hard and nearly asked my teacher to teach it at a slower pace. :blushing:

It's the transition to post-GCSE that's hard; no way in hell is the content itself challenging.

ReputationRep:
    I did c1 in January and, like you, I am in year 11. Got 95, it really wasn't daunting at all (not to sound arrogant) and really should have got 100. Just do lots of papers and the textbook exercises and you should come out with a good grade. That said, there were people with E grades and U grades in my class, so do not get complacent.

good luck,

p.s : C2 is quite a big step up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    p.s : C2 is quite a big step up.
    Agreed. C1 -> C2 is the second biggest step up I've had in my maths 'career'. It is, however, a long, long way behind GCSE -> FP1 in terms of sharp increases in difficulty.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I struggled with C1 for the first half-term, but in the half-term holiday I went over everything and it made much more sense; then I was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    First day of year 12: Homework from maths, read through the first 11 chapters of the textbook.

Fourth say of year 12, second maths lesson with that teacher: Right, C2. Literally

So no.
    exactly the same at my school. c1 is nothing new from gcse tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.