Turn on thread page Beta

The greatest ever empire (apart from Rome/ Britain) watch

ReputationRep:
    the hunnic empire was pretty big...

ReputationRep:
    Ottoman Empire, although the Russian Empire was quite important as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear Jew)
    The Mongol empire, it covered about 20% of earth's land mass at it's peak!
    Still ~5% behind the British.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you want to get nit picky, then Alexander conquered the entirety of the known world at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Well, if you want to get nit picky, then Alexander conquered the entirety of the known world at the time
    Except that the bits he didn't know about were fairly substantial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Maybe that's because the general opinion on what was the greatest ever empire is the Mongol Empire
    Yeah, isn't that just what I said?! There's no harm in drawing comparisons with other empires, is there?

ReputationRep:
    The reasoning of some people here is astoundingly bizarre:

"Mongol Empire was the biggest ever seen"
    "No it wasn't, The British Empire was,"
    "Um, ok, well the it's a marginal difference"

What colour is the atmosphere on your planet? Stating something factually incorrect as truth, and then persisting with it as though margins matter. It's like claiming that "Buzz Aldrin was the first man on the moon" - "no he wasn't" - "Ok, well it's marginal".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essex_Firmer)
    In your opinion, what is the greatest human empire in history? Please give your reasoning. This is for something I'm currently working on, on behalf of my Ancient History teacher's request .

Thanks for your opinions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_empires

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    This is largest, not greatest. There's a bit of a difference I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    And how was he able to attack this unknown land then, if no one knew it existed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Maybe that's because the general opinion on what was the greatest ever empire is the Mongol Empire
    If you define "greatest" as - "they killed millions of people and took all their stuff," then I suppose you could count that. The Third Reich has to come in there somewhere too, in that case. My modern standards, that sort of thing would answer "Which was the most evil empire ever?"

The British Empire, on the other hand, whilst not always being a bed of roses for the colonies, did spread infrastructure, government and operating judiciary throughout.

The industrial age and politics vs. wholesale destruction and murder.....hmm.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    And how was he able to attack this unknown land then, if no one knew it existed?
    I'm sure the people that lived there knew it existed.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has actually gone to the effort to - just now - edit that page to make the Mongol Empire the largest.

That is just pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I'm sure the people that lived there knew it existed.
    But no one else did! How do you attack the unknown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I mean, I agree in terms of not going into Spain or Western Africa. But, he went all the way to India, navigating the terrain of the Hindukush? Surely he would have scouted or explored these lands prior to embarking? I mean, he's written to be fairly ambitious and somewhat pretentious, but he wasn't completely mad enough to march out with ~ 40,000 men blind?

ReputationRep:
    Persian Empire,
    Achaemenid Empire, Cyrus the great, was the first King to bring in the Human Rights Act. It's written on a rock cylinder and is at the British Museum.

Persian Empire, was the first to connect Asia and Africa using a bridge built by floating boats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achaemenid_Empire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    No it isn't. The BE had more land, more people and a much larger GDP as an empire ($918.7 billion) than the Mongol Empire.

Even if it was 'marginal' you cannot change history to suit yourself. Accept that the BE was the largest empire ever seen.
    to be honest the British Empire WOULD have higher GDP considering it came about 600 years later

also as a percentage of the entire global population, the mongol empire actually had more people

however land mass is larger

that being said - the British Empire is in my opinion the most successful empire to date simply due to the geographical spread of it - Britain controlled parts of the Americas, parts of Africa, parts of Asia and also Australia

however since we can't say British Empire I will have to go with the Mongol empire

ReputationRep:
    If you think in terms of science, then the Ottomans were hugely influential on the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    If you define "greatest" as - "they killed millions of people and took all their stuff," then I suppose you could count that. The Third Reich has to come in there somewhere too, in that case. My modern standards, that sort of thing would answer "Which was the most evil empire ever?"

The British Empire, on the other hand, whilst not always being a bed of roses for the colonies, did spread infrastructure, government and operating judiciary throughout.

The industrial age and politics vs. wholesale destruction and murder.....hmm.....
    Yeah, reading this post I can see how people seemed to generalised "the greatest"- I meant it in the sense of it being well respected in terms of the purpose for it, the ambitions, the actual gain- in terms of benefitting the invaded country, the technological advances as a result of it (e.g. Rome in UK)- and the future of the empire and its neighbours.

So, not being great because "they killed millions of people"- in that sense you could say Mordor was "great" because they killed thousands before the Rohirrim had their way with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moesy)
    Persian Empire,
    Achaemenid Empire, Cyrus the great, was the first King to bring in the Human Rights Act. It's written on a rock cylinder and is at the British Museum.

Persian Empire, was the first to connect Asia and Africa using a bridge built by floating boats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achaemenid_Empire
    Great answer, to be fair. I agree that the kings/emperors brought actual benefit to the people and the future, and it was a shame that his empire got ruined because of the manic ways of Darius!

And, it's speculated by Herodotus that they bridged Asia and Africa, but I wouldn't read too much into this. Herodotus was prone to exaggerating events to add to the nature of the Persians being flamboyant and ostentatious!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.