Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you think in terms of what you're saying then, I'd say:
    The Romans
    The Ottomans
    The British

Considering you can't have the Romans/the British Empire, then I'd go for the Ottoman empire for having a massive scientific influence on the world, and there's the fact that they introduced the millet system where Jews and Christians wouldn't be persecuted in their empire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xulander)
    to be honest the British Empire WOULD have higher GDP considering it came about 600 years later

also as a percentage of the entire global population, the mongol empire actually had more people

however land mass is larger

that being said - the British Empire is in my opinion the most successful empire to date simply due to the geographical spread of it - Britain controlled parts of the Americas, parts of Africa, parts of Asia and also Australia

however since we can't say British Empire I will have to go with the Mongol empire
    Yep, the amount of varied land covered and maintained is incredible- but I'd take a wild and educated guess that the people were a tad more natured 600 odd years later. History tells us that the Mongol era people were extremely savage and out for themselves, more than the people in the British Empire era anyway.

So, saying that, the Mongol Empire would be more great because of the concentrated areas of land covered; and saying that too, the British Empire has greater knowledge of the amount of land they could conquer through maps and exploration; it's doubtful that big Genghis knew about Australia or the Americas, or parts of Africa for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    If you think in terms of what you're saying then, I'd say:
    The Romans
    The Ottomans
    The British

Considering you can't have the Romans/the British Empire, then I'd go for the Ottoman empire for having a massive scientific influence on the world, and there's the fact that they introduced the millet system where Jews and Christians wouldn't be persecuted in their empire
    Yeah man, and they made that big ass bombard thing! The Dardenelles or something? Thanks for your reply, I'll look into the Ottoman Empire histories, they can go under science and religion! Thanks again mate!

ReputationRep:
    Empire of the Sun

Mongol Empire

The empire of Sheen aka The Sheenis empire (Est 2019)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Empire of the Sun

Mongol Empire

The empire of Sheen aka The Sheenis empire (Est 2019)
    I'm sure my ancient history will appreciate this. Your reasoning behind the Mongol Empire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xulander)
    to be honest the British Empire WOULD have higher GDP considering it came about 600 years later

also as a percentage of the entire global population, the mongol empire actually had more people

however land mass is larger

that being said - the British Empire is in my opinion the most successful empire to date simply due to the geographical spread of it - Britain controlled parts of the Americas, parts of Africa, parts of Asia and also Australia

however since we can't say British Empire I will have to go with the Mongol empire
    The first point of yours should have dictated that the second point is true for the same reason. There were less people around the time of the Mongol Empire, thus making it easier to have a higher percentage.

I have no qualms with people saying the Mongol Empire as you can only admire how large it was [enter 'that's what she said']. My problem was with people proclaiming it as the largest in history.

I'd still go for the Nazi Empire though, purely because there is so much on it and it's a bit more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Mongol, if only because they were the ONLY ones in history to conquer Russia. And the only reason they didn't conquer all of Europe was because their Ogedei Khan died, so custom made them all return to Mongolia. Not to cite Cracked as a credible source but http://www.cracked.com/article_17298...ern-world.html

...that being said my personal favourite is Alexander's. Absolute dude. Turned an island into a peninsula once to capture it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essex_Firmer)
    In your opinion, what is the greatest human empire in history? Please give your reasoning. This is for something I'm currently working on, on behalf of my Ancient History teacher's request .

Thanks for your opinions.
    in terms of sheer size and military power, the mongol's early empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacredWolf)
    Mongol, if only because they were the ONLY ones in history to conquer Russia. And the only reason they didn't conquer all of Europe was because their Ogedei Khan died, so custom made them all return to Mongolia. Not to cite Cracked as a credible source but http://www.cracked.com/article_17298...ern-world.html

...that being said my personal favourite is Alexander's. Absolute dude. Turned an island into a peninsula once to capture it.
    Alexander is my favourite too! I cried when he died in the film! But, Oliver Stone did murder the whole story though!

ReputationRep:
    Somali Empire.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only an 'empire' for a brief period, but Alexander's achievements were truly amazing.

Traditionally, holding together the east is a lot easier than europe. Even the Romans couldn't beat back the Germanic tribes. I want to say the Byzantines (Romans) in 550 but they were wracked with plague before they could achieve too much. The Holy Roman Empire did well to hold itself together too but just didn't achieve truly great things.

I'm going to fail to buck the trend at all and just go with the mongols :p:

ReputationRep:
    So, saying that, the Mongol Empire would be more great because of the concentrated areas of land covered; and saying that too, the British Empire has greater knowledge of the amount of land they could conquer through maps and exploration; it's doubtful that big Genghis knew about Australia or the Americas, or parts of Africa for that matter.
    To be fair though, the Mongols' expeditions overseas were usually pretty disastrous - they sent huge fleets to conquer both Japan and Java and these were destroyed. Very much a continental empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear Jew)
    The Mongol empire, it covered about 20% of earth's land mass at it's peak!
    Yeah, but it was mainly unpopulated steppes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrior078)
    somali empire.
    omg i was so going to say that!

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, what is the greatest human empire in history? Please give your reasoning. This is for something I'm currently working on, on behalf of my Ancient History teacher's request .

Thanks for your opinions.
    Mongolian Empire - 2nd largest empire.

ReputationRep:
    If were not allowed to choice the British or Roman Empire - No other Empires were good !!

ReputationRep:

Imperium of Man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)

Imperium of Man

Good shout - Praise be to the Emperor of Mankind.

ReputationRep:
    Celtic Empire(France, Germany, Britain, Spain and Northern Italy at peak)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexD14)
    Celtic Empire(France, Germany, Britain, Spain and Northern Italy at peak)
    The land ruled by the Celtic tribes were never a true 'empire' though - they were split into a large number of independent kingdoms and tribes - one of the reasons the Romans were able to conquer the Gauls and Britons so rapidly was that they played a lot of the tribes against each other.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.