Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why the Mongol Empire is getting so much support. They did kill, rape, destroy, steal and conquer but in terms of positive social, scientific and economic contribution they were nowhere near the greatest.

ReputationRep:
    Surely ranking empires should be based on it's contributions to mankind? All the mongols did was burning down cities and killing everyone in it to inspire fear... They weren't very popular or productive culturally or scientifically...

ReputationRep:
    Chinese empire, at times one of the most advanced and prosperous in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    The land ruled by the Celtic tribes were never a true 'empire' though - they were split into a large number of independent kingdoms and tribes - one of the reasons the Romans were able to conquer the Gauls and Britons so rapidly was that they played a lot of the tribes against each other.
    True, true. But still, an interesting people to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I don't know why the Mongol Empire is getting so much support. They did kill, rape, destroy, steal and conquer but in terms of positive social, scientific and economic contribution they were nowhere near the greatest.
    Not strictly true - the later Mongol dynasties (such as the Yuan dynasty that ruled China) did an awful lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan_Dynasty#Impact

Did a massive amount in terms of scientific and cultural advancement, world exploration, engineering and canal building and religious tolerance. Also saw the spread of gunpowder and other East Asian and Middle Eastern science to Europe - hugely important for the balance of future world power.

ReputationRep:
    british empire ruled over the largest land mass. plus, its controlled the worlds seas.

but if you cannot do britain or rome, the 2 greatest empires, then go with greece. the founding of western civilisation.

if you want to really freak your teacher out, do a thesis on the whole western 'empire' itself.

ReputationRep:
    No one mentioned the Americans yet? Odd; they control virtually the entire planet!

ReputationRep:
    The Empire that is religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacredWolf)
    Mongol, if only because they were the ONLY ones in history to conquer Russia. And the only reason they didn't conquer all of Europe was because their Ogedei Khan died, so custom made them all return to Mongolia. Not to cite Cracked as a credible source but http://www.cracked.com/article_17298...ern-world.html

...that being said my personal favourite is Alexander's. Absolute dude. Turned an island into a peninsula once to capture it.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Persian.

ReputationRep:
    The Ottoman Empire! Best furniture in the world- they had very well rested armies.

ReputationRep:
    The federation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essex_Firmer)
    In your opinion, what is the greatest human empire in history? Please give your reasoning. This is for something I'm currently working on, on behalf of my Ancient History teacher's request .

Thanks for your opinions.
    Genesis KHANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!'s empire

ReputationRep:
    i thought ts already said other then rome and britain

but Mongol empire was definitely the largest connected landmass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpsidedownLandMan)
    The Ottoman Empire! Best furniture in the world- they had very well rested armies.
    Always had somewhere to store their linen too....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Lots of the inventions credited to the 'Chinese' were done whilst they were under the rule of the Mongols. Plus whilst they were destructive, their military tactics were far more advanced than anyone else, especially the europeans.

ReputationRep:
    Persian or Chinese

ReputationRep:
    the rakktan empire (way befor the galactic empire)

high 5 to anyone that gets the reference

on a more serious note the aztecs they did some pretty impressive things like the pyramids and the big drawings on the ground (i cant remember what they are called, sorry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Lots of the inventions credited to the 'Chinese' were done whilst they were under the rule of the Mongols. I think printing, paper, gunpowder, paper money and the compass were all invented under the rule of the Mongols (the Yuan Dynasty). Plus whilst they were destructive, their military tactics were far more advanced than anyone else, especially the europeans.
    Actually they were all invented before the Yuan dynasty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withoutwax1111)
    Surely ranking empires should be based on it's contributions to mankind? All the mongols did was burning down cities and killing everyone in it to inspire fear... They weren't very popular or productive culturally or scientifically...
    This is why I pointed out the Ottoman Empire. I don't know about the Chinese but my guess is that they must have improved the world(At least the emperors looked very wise)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.