Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The greatest ever empire (apart from Rome/ Britain) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think the Persian empire is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpsidedownLandMan)
    The Ottoman Empire! Best furniture in the world- they had very well rested armies.
    The Ottoman's denounced the printing press as "the devil's invention". Doesn't sound very "greatest empire in the world"-y to me...

(Original post by Bruin_)
    Macedonian empire forged by the genius, Alexander the Great
    An empire that ended when Alexander died? Again, hardly the greatest empire.

Btw, my vote is for Rome. Even if you just take their engineering they beat everyone else, not to mention their amazing military, exquisite organisation and Rome resembling a modern-day city.

EDIT:
    (Original post by neonlights)
    surely it is the mesopotamian empire - being the first civilisation and all that with their maths, language...etc.
    There is no Mesopotamian empire. There are the Babylonians, Sumerians, Akkadians, Assyrians, Hittites, etc, but, they are different empires. In fact, the word Mesopotamia means "(land) between rivers" and it was used to designate the area between the Euphrates and Tigris. The oldest occurrence of the name dates to 2nd century AD.

ReputationRep:
    Good evening. First and foremost, thanks for posting the topic. The greatest empire in my own view (instead of the United Kingdom's empire) would be the Prussian and later German Empire, which was built to great strengths (even without land mass) in social, economic and political terms. I think that influence by Frederick III, who unfortunately only ruled for some few months, would have built Germany into a great power - formidable yet diplomatic, traditional yet progressive, iron-willed yet tolerant.

I cannot agree that the Mongol empire was the greatest. Whilst Genghis Khan was a great man and leader, he was not a great "prince", as Machiavelli would say. He didn't go about conquering areas effectively or uncouthly told tribes to shove it. His successors were even worse, hence the empire's quick downfall. Also, remember that the campaigns led by Genghis Khan were against ill-led and structured tribal nations, not fortified empires like that of the Prussians who were surrounded by four great powers (Sweden, Russia, Austria, France) and were the main protestant empire on continental Europe for a long time after Sweden's collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samuelarnold)
    I think the Persian empire is great.
    I agree with you. Thanks to the Persian's we are obliged to human rights at present day (Cyrus the Great freed the Jew's and liberated all the slaves from their Babylonian capitivity). The only empire back then to recognise the equality between men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Ancient Egypt, because even though its empire wasn't big for large parts of its history, it lasted for 3000 years, witnessing the rise and fall of countless empires in its time

ReputationRep:
    Mughals. They were in place for a short space of time and in a small area, but created some of the most beautiful architecture in old India.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.