Turn on thread page Beta

How would you react? (EDL friend) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    A right-wing alternative to UKIP, LPUK, the Conservatives, the Lib Dems, New Labour, the Christian Party, English Democrats or the Christian People's Alliance?

The major difference between the BNP/EDL and, shall we say "mainstream" right-wing parties is xenophobia and racism however thickly veiled it is.
    Why are you judging parties by a particularly vocal minority that the media spotlight is presently centered upon?

I perhaps could equally judge the Tories by saying "posh elitist idiots, they all went to Eton and Oxbridge, born with a silver spoon in their mouth, what the hell do they know about me" (or something along those lines), all the while completely ignoring their actual politics.

My point is, it's silly to write off a legitimate ideology through an inane desire to conform to the political correct environment that this bureaucratic nanny state has created.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you do that? That's ridiculous. Obviously you have swallowed all the ridiculous sniping at the EDL. Sure some members are silly racist violent mugs, but the group has a positive message that the majority of UK citizens would agree with if they could be bothered to ignore the unfair bias media coverage and actually read their mission statement.

Show a bit of respect for someone else's views!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Triple_H)
    I would, because when you treat a person with respect, even if you disagree, you do the side a service by not presenting your side as close minded stubborn individuals
    That's true actually, I agree.

(Original post by righteous)
    Why are you judging parties by a particularly vocal minority that the media spotlight is presently centered upon?

I perhaps could equally judge the Tories by saying "posh elitist idiots, they all went to Eton and Oxbridge, born with a silver spoon in their mouth, what the hell do they know about me" (or something along those lines), all the while completely ignoring their actual politics.

My point is, it's silly to write off a legitimate ideology through an inane desire to conform to the political correct environment that this bureaucratic nanny state has created.
    :yawn: I'm not getting into this debate. Whether or not the majority of EDL/BNP members are vocally racist makes no difference to the fact that their ideology (and therefore their policies) comes from a background thick with racism and they carry with them today a large minority or possibly a majority of members who are racist and support their racist policies.

I don't want to conform to a politically correct environment created by a bureaucratic nanny state. Indeed I am very much in favour of a small state, individualism and freedom of speech as a Libertarian. I would never want to ban the BNP or EDL but I am very much entitled to the view that they are bigots and this is a view backed up with lots of evidence.

ReputationRep:
    So you just lied to him and left him there? Tbh hes better off without you as a friend if you cant atleast sit there and listen to him. If he didnt mention it then you would have stayed and chatted...

I dont endorse the EDL in anyway but if my friend said he supported them i wouldnt just walk out and not speak to them. Pathetic move tbh esp without hearing him out

ReputationRep:
    I'd respect their opinion, and probably join them as well. The EDL, though littered with football hooligans, is a good cause.

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: I'm not getting into this debate. Whether or not the majority of EDL/BNP members are vocally racist makes no difference to the fact that their ideology (and therefore their policies) comes from a background thick with racism and they carry with them today a large minority or possibly a majority of members who are racist and support their racist policies.

I don't want to conform to a politically correct environment created by a bureaucratic nanny state. Indeed I am very much in favour of a small state, individualism and freedom of speech as a Libertarian. I would never want to ban the BNP or EDL but I am very much entitled to the view that they are bigots and this is a view backed up with lots of evidence.
    In no way are their policies racist.

That's the bottom line.

That's the only thing that should be acknowledged here. Admittedly some of the members are racist, that fact is undeniable, but where else would racists turn but the logical choice of an anti-immigration party. The party's ideology is in itself a magnet for racists, yet it does not mean the ideology itself is racist.

No other political parties address immigration clearly as it is a "hot-potato" topic that current politics shies away from in the fear that liberal sensibilities will be deeply offended.

That's what draws many to the BNP; as well as the fact that immigration will eventually be a problem for the UK as the current demographic indicates.

The BNP seems to be the only party determined to take a pro-active, decisive stance in curbing that immigration.

ReputationRep:
    “All British National Party members are reminded that the EDL was declared a proscribed organisation back in September last year, so to attend or to encourage attendance at any of its activities is a disciplinary offence.

Straight off the BNP website. http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/bnp-leade...edl-proscribed

I cannot see why anyone would have a problem with the EDL other than with its members (who are mostly loutish meatheads but the cause is worthy) unless you are as/if not more ignorant than those who you claim are.

ReputationRep:
    Considering you've hardly spoken for four years, it doesn't really matter that you no longer want to be affiliated with them. However, if it was one of my best friends I probably couldn't cut them loose as easily so it's entirely dependent on who it was. I'd say I'm fairly right-wing myself - a proud nationalist but certainly not racist. If I was to say that I'd like a predominantly British society, that would in NO way exclude Black or Asian Britons.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have made some dildoesque excuse to slink out. If I was going, I'd say I was going with something generic in the spectrum of truth "anyway, things to do", rather than just leaving the turd there guessing.
    It wouldn't take a genius to work out from unconscious change of tone, etc, that the real reason I now considered other things in my life more appealing that talking to him was because of his views.
    Out of curiosity I would question him to pinpoint exactly what he believed and why, maybe throw in some counter arguments to see why he didn't accept them, but i wouldn't be there to try and convert, and I don't think I would be willing invest more than a minute or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So it's that time of year when lots of people from University are coming back for a few days over the Bank Holidays and I'm meeting with a few of my old friends to catch up.

One of them who was my best friend in high school got in touch and said we should catch up. Even though we went to the same XI Form college I kind of lost touch and apart from the odd hello in the street I haven't spoken to him since I was 16 (I'm now 20).

We went to Starbucks in the city and just got chatting about old times, his course, University etc and then casual as anything he just drops "Oh yeah, I'm really involved with the EDL at X University these days". I'm kind of gobsmacked so I ask if he's serious, he is, he's like an organiser or something.

I pick my bag up, say I'm going to the toilet and walk out, I don't intend to talk to him again but I'm just wondering if you'd do the same thing?
    I'd have done exactly the same. I've been in too many counter-protests with Unite Against Fascism to not want to hit someone like that.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to believe what he wants. Just that I don't want to be anywhere near those beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I would ask what his views on Muslamic Ray Guns are.
    The guy quite clearly (well maybe not) said 'Rape Gangs' hence why he went on to mention 15 year old girls being raped.

ReputationRep:
    WOULD HAVE ASKED HIM WHY HE'S IN IT ..
    THEN PROBABLY WALK OUT ON HIM

I'm sorry but I just don't support any 'Nazy-like' organisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I would ask what his views on Muslamic Ray Guns are.
    no future in comedy

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: I'm not getting into this debate. Whether or not the majority of EDL/BNP members are vocally racist makes no difference to the fact that their ideology
    Their ideology is quite clearly a downright rejection of Islamic extremism.

I don't understand how people don't agree with this

(Original post by SteveCrain)
    Their ideology is quite clearly a downright rejection of Islamic extremism.

I don't understand how people don't agree with this
    Which political party in the UK offers a tacit acceptance of Islamic extremism?

ReputationRep:
    Which political party in the UK offers a tacit acceptance of Islamic extremism?
    Typical dodge-a-question by asking another.

In principle, do you agree or disagree with proposed mission of the EDL?

Typical dodge-a-question by asking another.

In principle, do you agree or disagree with proposed mission of the EDL?
    I agree that Muslim extremism is a bad thing. BUT the only people who think Muslim extremism is a good thing are Muslim extremists. It's their methods, reasoning, ideology and policies I disagree with not just a single populist, almost universal point.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous; me and my best mate have very different political views, and it doesn't cause a problem, we respect each others' right to have them, and occasionally have brilliant debates about them...

ReputationRep:
    no future in comedy
    That's why I went to med school

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.