Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Separating sex and friendship watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artvandelay)
    [/B]

Are they the type who never gets jealous or have they simply found a way to deal with it?
    Some are the type who never get jealous while others just find a way to deal with it. They realise that they love the person they're in the relationship and want to be with them forever but at the same time they still want to sleep with other people for the time being. I think you both have to be completely on the same page about it. As I say, as much as many people would say "yeah, loads of sex, it'd be great", I think it would be really hard work and there is always the risk that one of you isn't being honest about how you feel about it.

At the same time, what do you have to lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imonlysleeping)
    Some are the type who never get jealous while others just find a way to deal with it. They realise that they love the person they're in the relationship and want to be with them forever but at the same time they still want to sleep with other people for the time being. I think you both have to be completely on the same page about it. As I say, as much as many people would say "yeah, loads of sex, it'd be great", I think it would be really hard work and there is always the risk that one of you isn't being honest about how you feel about it.

At the same time, what do you have to lose?
    I think about the fact that jealousy is really a fear of losing the other person, and yes sometimes it is irrational and sometimes it is justified. Thing is, when people are monogamous they do not only not sleep with other people - they don't get involved (or shouldn't). Which means that however attached you are to a partner, you run a larger risk of getting attached to somebody else and ultimately leave (after actually hanging out together and having great sex). That is something I would fear when in an open relationship. No matter how trustworthy, there is a larger risk of abandonment.

ReputationRep:
    21 and your parents are already moaning about your love life.... wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    21 and your parents are already moaning about your love life.... wow.
    I think they're mostly curious. And pondering whether I'm lesbian.
    Probably because my sister has been in relationships constantly since the age of 15. I think they've concluded that "she has a way with men", whereas I don't. She has not standards though, so I wouldn't change position with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artvandelay)
    I think they're mostly curious. And pondering whether I'm lesbian.
    Probably because my sister has been in relationships constantly since the age of 15. I think they've concluded that "she has a way with men", whereas I don't. She has not standards though, so I wouldn't change position with her.
    go on about how fit certain guys are, just to get them off your back about the lesbian thing?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 too. You only live life once and should do what works for you. I personally don't see the attraction of a loveless marriage myself. I'd rather not get married than put on that sort of show. And I don't think it's just guys that are usually looking for sex, or relationships that are more about having fun than prioritising commitment, at 21.

I have no idea how successful you'd be in finding a suitable man willing to marry for the sake of it with an agreement that you would sleep with other people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.