Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I cant understand why were in the EU it costs fortunes and you know all the rest of it. So do you think we'll ever leave the EU?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Maybe. Depends though. If we left we lose trade benefits so it would require free trade agreements. Which could be difficult to get.

ReputationRep:
    No, can't see it happening as long as we are allowed to opt out of some things, such as the euro. The three main parties all agree with EU membership.

ReputationRep:
    Although there is nothing I would like more than this to happen, the reality is probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Although there is nothing I would like more than this to happen, the reality is probably not.
    why?

edit: nevermind, just noticed a maggie video in your profile..

ReputationRep:
    This.

(Original post by x=o)
    why?
    We're way too financially invested, for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Maybe. Depends though. If we left we lose trade benefits so it would require free trade agreements. Which could be difficult to get.
    I have never understood why we do not go into some kind of even closer union with other commonwealth countries . Indeed other countries such as australia expressed interest long ago but we dumped them for the EU. They were rather miffed apparently. We also have much friendlier relations with Ireland now,I firmly believe if we left the EU and we asked them to join some union with ourselves and other friendly countries they would agree. Maybe the US would join and we could have a union of english speaking peoples.

Although I do have criticism's of the US especially this presidential admin and the last, I would trust them more not to knife us in the back,by not supporting us when the chips are down than any of the powers on the continent, save portugal .

ReputationRep:
    It is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x=o)
    why?

edit: nevermind, just noticed a maggie video in your profile..
    You'll have do a search if you really to find out, cba to go through them again.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer it if we just minded our own business instead of giving billions to europe.

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me that we can spend millions on a referendum on the issue of our voting system and yet we can't have one on the issue of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me that we can spend millions on a referendum on the issue of our voting system and yet we can't have one on the issue of Europe.
    There would be a ****storm. Too much power in Europe, it's like when you were young and your parents wouldn't let you leave the table until you had eaten all your dinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    This.

We're way too financially invested, for one.
    so we'd be better off, financially at least, if we were outside of the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I have never understood why we do not go into some kind of even closer union with other commonwealth countries . Indeed other countries such as australia expressed interest long ago but we dumped them for the EU. They were rather miffed apparently. We also have much friendlier relations with Ireland now,I firmly believe if we left the EU and we asked them to join some union with ourselves and other friendly countries they would agree. Maybe the US would join and we could have a union of english speaking peoples.

Although I do have criticism's of the US especially this presidential admin and the last, I would trust them more not to knife us in the back,by not supporting us when the chips are down than any of the powers on the continent, save portugal .
    Britain excludes itself from an enormous European market for one consisting of Ireland, Britain and Australia?

and why on earth would the US join?

Never say never, it would be most likely to happen if we had a eurosceptic Tory leader in power. That could definitely happen in say 20 or 30 years time, especially if by then the eurozone has collapsed and we've moved ever closer to a full political union without ever asking the people whether they agree to these changes.

I expect UKIP to do very well indeed at the next EU elections, with the EU budget doubling in the last couple of years and with all these bailouts - whilst we're cutting at home. It's all playing right into their hands. If public opinion turns more and more anti EU perhaps the Tories at least will actually do something about it. Maybe even Labour would, there are definitely many eurosceptic Labour voters.

ReputationRep:
    "..with the EU budget doubling in the last couple of years and with all these bailouts..."

The EU has nearly doubled in size in the 'last couple of years'.... just saying!

(Original post by Vanbrugh)
    "..with the EU budget doubling in the last couple of years and with all these bailouts..."

The EU has nearly doubled in size in the 'last couple of years'.... just saying!
    ... The main reason why we pay so much more now is that we lost a big chunk of our rebate, the size of the EU hasn't doubled in the last couple of years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    ... The main reason why we pay so much more now is that we lost a big chunk of our rebate, the size of the EU hasn't doubled in the last couple of years!
    We only lost our rebate because Blair is a prick :mad:

ReputationRep:
    There just isn't enough rep in the world for you Meenu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    the ignorance in this thread is astounding!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.