Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for my failure in science.

I have to do a bouncy ball coursework and I want to find the efficiency of kinetic energy. So, how much energy is being converted into the actual bounce rather than sound etcetera.

Work done = Drop Height – Bounce Height
    Energy Lost = (Work done ÷ Bounce Height) x 100
    Therefore, 100 – Energy lost = efficiency (%)

Is it possible to do it like this? I don't know the weight of the ball.

I think this is right except I can't really call that work done? This is along the lines of what my science teacher told me to do but I can't remember exactly.

Again apologies for my noobness.
    Help much appreciated!

If it starts at height H and reaches height h after the bounce then it starts with energy mgH and finishes with energy mgh
    It has lost mgH - mgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    If it starts at height H and reaches height h after the bounce then it starts with energy mgH and finishes with energy mgh
    It has lost mgH - mgh
    Thanks, this helped me to realise that it's just (bounce height/drop height) x 100 as this is the percentage of GPE being transferred into kinetic energy. I hope? lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.