Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Real Ale and CAMRA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I found out earlier today that this is the 40th year of CAMRA, the campaign for real ale. A group that all people like me who prefer good beer to horrid gassy chemical muck (or lager) are very grateful for.

A world without Timothy Taylor's golden best, or Dark Star Hophead would be bereft, to name two excellent beers.

ReputationRep:
    CAMRA member here. Had a Brakspear Bitter and a Hobgoblin on the day to celebrate.

:beer:

ReputationRep:
    It's a pity continental pilsners are more popular than British ales in this country.

I do enjoy a strong bodied bitter. Although being 5 foot midget, I rarely have the constitution to down a bottle without feeling incredibly tipsy.

I enjoyed the Holt's 1849 I had today, and I have a Jenning's Sneck Lifter waiting for me for when I return home from work.

ReputationRep:
    I currently work for Butcome brewery, although im not particularly fond of their beers.

I dont think theres any better beer than Bass though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I found out earlier today that this is the 40th year of CAMRA, the campaign for real ale. A group that all people like me who prefer good beer to horrid gassy chemical muck (or lager) are very grateful for.

A world without Timothy Taylor's golden best, or Dark Star Hophead would be bereft, to name two excellent beers.
    TT's Landlord is where it's at.

Anyone had Abbeydale 'Moonshine', straw-coloured ale from Sheffield? Probably my favourite.

That said, the most consistently excellent brewery I have come across is the Badger Brewery. Not one beer from that brewery that I don't love.

I could go on all day about why ale is epic, and why lager is sh*t in comparison, etc etc, but I have work to do.

ReputationRep:
    I got about 4 free pints of Hobgoblin the other day and a t shirt from a CAMRA event, it was great :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    My father is an enthusiastic CAMRA member and so shows me the good stuff whenever we meet.
    Spent a fair amount of time recently in the Bridge of Allan brewery which is an excellent place with fine and interesting beers, and we were at the Larbert beer festival for the 40th.
    Wetherspoons seem to have beer festivals every five minutes, so of course I ended up sampling some of those with him too.
    I don't actually drink much otherwise, but do like a proper ale when the situation calls for it. I've not really got any favourites, I just try something different each time.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm 'spoons can sometimes be a bit iffy cos they buy the stuff that's just reaching the end of it's shelf life... good price though :top:

ReputationRep:
    CAMRA are awesome. I'm glad that they are open minded enough to also promote high quality home grown ciders and perrys too. It would be nice if they extended their patronage to high quality British pilsners like Freedom or Suffolk Blonde, much better quality than every non-Czech continental lager on the market.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm a complete noob in regards to real ale but I would like to explore it more.
    I hardly ever drink lager in the pub, I find it to 'fizzy' for want of a better word, usually go for whatever generic bitter is there, Smith's or Boddington's. I have had a few pints of Greene King and Abbot Ale, but not sure what to try next.

Would I be best to buy bottles for home drinking? Our usual pubs don't seem to have anything much else in terms of real ale.

Thanks in advance for answering my silly questions

ReputationRep:
    I always stick to bottles at home personally, but nothings quite as good as the pump at my local country pub(s) in leafy Hertfordshire...

I've been meaning to join CAMRA ever since I attended a brewery bbq with a friend who, as a member of CAMRA, was challenged by the head brewer to organise a piss up at a brewery. Twenty of us at the little known Buntingford BRewery, 4 kegs and a few burgers made for a great day out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    I always stick to bottles at home personally, but nothings quite as good as the pump at my local country pub(s) in leafy Hertfordshire...

I've been meaning to join CAMRA ever since I attended a brewery bbq with a friend who, as a member of CAMRA, was challenged by the head brewer to organise a piss up at a brewery. Twenty of us at the little known Buntingford BRewery, 4 kegs and a few burgers made for a great day out!
    Buntingford; not far from my lovely ol' town

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexInWonderland)
    Buntingford; not far from my lovely ol' town
    I went to school in Stevenage, John Henry Newman to be precise.

Thought I'd throw this link into this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANARINMQzc

ReputationRep:
    my dad used to be heavily involved in CAMRA at burton when i was a kid so we always used to go to their beer festivals when we were growing, then followed onto chesterfield and mansfield CAMRA when he moved around, but due to work he only attends them sometimes now) the only memories i used to have of them was drinking panda pops, watching scary morris dancers and going on the tombolas that they always seem to have and therefore coming home with various shirts, glasses and bar towels. my dad has never actaully had to buy a glass in his life as he has got that many from beer festivals.

im not a fan of beer unfortuately, but my step-mum has recently got me into cider (the proper stuff, not any of that white lightening crap) so im getting there slowly, particularly like the Broadoak perry cider" at the moment thanks to gary at the beer parlour in chesterfield (very small place, not that well known. wanted to go to the one in burton a couple of weeks ago but my step-mum has been ill recently so they couldnt come up and didnt fancy hanging out there on my own unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexInWonderland)
    Would I be best to buy bottles for home drinking? Our usual pubs don't seem to have anything much else in terms of real ale.

Surely the pubs have some sort of guest ale? If not your going to the wrong sort of pubs:cool: As mentioned above 'spoons do a pretty big selection for pretty good prices. Or find a local brewery, I will be surprised if you don't find one near where you area.

If buying from supermarkets, look around for when they 4 for £5 or 3 for £4 offers and pick up a few different ones - of course not all of these will be real ales as defined by CAMRA but they are infinitely better than the piss water usually served. I kept all my bottles from each type of ale I had last year at uni, when I moved out I had 60+ different ales.

My favourite real ale is Tribute (St Austell), always look forward to a pint when I'm away from Cornwall and it has an excellent brewery tour I have a taste for Cornish ales so close followers are Betty Stoggs (Skinners), Doom Bar (Sharps) and Proper Job (St Austell). Wooden Hand Brewery also make some decent stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You might be interested in this Alex

http://www.baldockbeerfestival.org/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.