Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, finally I'm making the switch over from PC to Mac this year.

I'm doing my final year of Music production and thought it would be a good idea to get myself a nice new,sturdy laptop.
    Why a laptop specifically you ask? Well I like to be able to take my projects around with me. It's handy if you're moving around studios, doing an on the spot recording or meeting up with someone you are collaborating with and you want to get ideas down.
    Anyway, I digress...

I've been looking at getting Logic Pro 9. For those of you familiar with DAWs (digital audio workstations) you well know that this program is Mac exclusive now,and quite expensive.
    I decided to take a look around eBay in the hope I might find cheaper legit copies going around and I have actually found some.
    The problem is, they are being sold by users who have little feedback and some of the prices seem too good to be true (ranging from 100-150 pounds off the RRP.£325 from Amazon or 419 from the Apple Store)

I wanted to know if there are any of you out there that have purchased a copy of Logic Pro 9 off eBay or any other bidding site. Not jsut that, but has it been the legit,full copy?

I have managed to save up for both a macbook and Logic Pro 9 but I'm sure many of you can understand that I would like to save money where I can,especially when we are talking about such expensive products.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    surely you're eligible for a student discount on Logic? I'm looking into it at the moment but it won't let me check the price on the apple store unless i'm on my Uni's network. I've seen some stuff on forums that prices it around £130 after discount, i'm going in tomorrow to take a look so i'll let you know what i find out

*edited my poor attempt at grammar

ReputationRep:
    The Apple usually have deals with Colleges which do Audio courses. Go in and ask for a discount man.

ReputationRep:
    Logic Studio (The entire logic software package, inc LP9) is heavily discounted when bought through the Apple educational store, costing £124 rather than £417. Just access the Apple store though your university's network and scroll down to "Apple Education Discount".

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all of you who have replied to the thread! Your help is much appreciated.

(Original post by Gofre)
    Logic Studio (The entire logic software package, inc LP9) is heavily discounted when bought through the Apple educational store, costing £124 rather than £417. Just access the Apple store though your university's network and scroll down to "Apple Education Discount".
    Wow, that is quite a substantial amount of money off!

Thee only thing is I'm not at the uni yet. I'll be doing a top up course at a different institution to where I did my first two years.
    Is it possible to get the same discounts over the phone or in store?I know that I would need confirmation of acceptance on to the course and I will be receiving it soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_N)
    Thanks to all of you who have replied to the thread! Your help is much appreciated.

Wow, that is quite a substantial amount of money off!

Thee only thing is I'm not at the uni yet. I'll be doing a top up course at a different institution to where I did my first two years.
    Is it possible to get the same discounts over the phone or in store?I know that I would need confirmation of acceptance on to the course and I will be receiving it soon.
    So you're at college at the moment?
    You can get student discounts on Macs in-store, provided you have proof of your offer if you aren't at uni yet, so I assume it's the same for software (:

ReputationRep:

I'm doing my final year of Music production and thought it would be a good idea to get myself a nice new,sturdy laptop.
    Why a laptop specifically you ask? Well I like to be able to take my projects around with me. It's handy if you're moving around studios, doing an on the spot recording or meeting up with someone you are collaborating with and you want to get ideas down.
    Anyway, I digress...

I've been looking at getting Logic Pro 9. For those of you familiar with DAWs (digital audio workstations) you well know that this program is Mac exclusive now,and quite expensive.
    I decided to take a look around eBay in the hope I might find cheaper legit copies going around and I have actually found some.
    The problem is, they are being sold by users who have little feedback and some of the prices seem too good to be true (ranging from 100-150 pounds off the RRP.£325 from Amazon or 419 from the Apple Store)

I wanted to know if there are any of you out there that have purchased a copy of Logic Pro 9 off eBay or any other bidding site. Not jsut that, but has it been the legit,full copy?

I have managed to save up for both a macbook and Logic Pro 9 but I'm sure many of you can understand that I would like to save money where I can,especially when we are talking about such expensive products.

OP you should be able to get a student version. Back when I started I got Logic pro 7 for ~£200 (it was £700 back then!) then both upgrades for £120 when they came out.

ReputationRep:
    I received my copy of Logic today, ordered it through my Uni's network, cost me 124.80 inc VAT and delivery was free.

ReputationRep:

Anyway, I digress...

bit torrent it for free? don't know if that works on Macs, but i've done it enough with pc programms like sony vegas pro which are normally £300+

EDIT: yeah you can defo get it on bit torrent

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. All your help is much appreciated.

I have now gone ahead and purchased a new Macbook Pro (latest release) and Logic Studio 9 with the HE discount. All I'm going to say is, what a fantastic saving!

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. All your help is much appreciated.

I have now gone ahead and purchased a new Macbook Pro (latest release) and Logic Studio 9 with the HE discount. All I'm going to say is, what a fantastic saving!

Thanks again.
    Logic is awesome. Add to that the Jam packs and you've got a near infinite collection of sounds and goodies to play with

A quick tip. You might find an external monitor with a higher resolution that your screen useful when dealing with tons of tracks so you can see more of the mixer and stuff without having to scroll around. Especially if you have a smaller MBP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcazaba)
    Logic is awesome. Add to that the Jam packs and you've got a near infinite collection of sounds and goodies to play with

A quick tip. You might find an external monitor with a higher resolution that your screen useful when dealing with tons of tracks so you can see more of the mixer and stuff without having to scroll around. Especially if you have a smaller MBP.
    Yeah well, I did purchase the 13' MBP model because as I mentioned before, I like to be able to take my projects with me and obviously that is a nice portable size with beautiful insides (spec :P)

This has been a major investment for me and so I probably won't be purchasing anything else, like an external monitor, anytime soon.

Doesn't the full Logic studio 9 package come with the jam packs?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well, I did purchase the 13' MBP model because as I mentioned before, I like to be able to take my projects with me and obviously that is a nice portable size with beautiful insides (spec :P)

This has been a major investment for me and so I probably won't be purchasing anything else, like an external monitor, anytime soon.

Doesn't the full Logic studio 9 package come with the jam packs?
    Yep, but I think it's an optional install iirc so you'll need to do a custom install and enable it from there. Although it's a while since I installed it all so I may be wrong! Have fun!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.