Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell, it is allowed/feasible/sane?

Hypothetically speaking, if a first year undergrad had the grades for most medical schools in terms of GCSEs/A-levels, and they thought, 'I want to apply for med school for next year entry, since I don't like my course any more'.

Would they be allowed to apply for another university's med school whilst still taking part in the current uni course?
    Or would they have to drop out, and then apply?

Given they are rejected from med school, they'd carry on with the current degree or whatever.
    Given they are handed an post-interview offer, would it be on the basis of A-level grades, so in that case, wouldn't that be an unconditional? Or would they ask for a minimum of 2:1 at the end of the course (which is obviously impossible for a first year).
    I thought I'd ask this out here, before phoning any med schools. (It's kinda late in the evening, and I wanted to see what kind of answers I get here initially).

Sooooo, what are your thoughts guys?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, but I know many people who are a year behind you and are thinking of doing the same.

Please let us know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)

Hypothetically speaking, if a first year undergrad had the grades for most medical schools in terms of GCSEs/A-levels, and they thought, 'I want to apply for med school for next year entry, since I don't like my course any more'.

Would they be allowed to apply for another university's med school whilst still taking part in the current uni course?

Given they are rejected from med school, they'd carry on with the current degree or whatever.
    Given they are handed an post-interview offer, would it be on the basis of A-level grades, so in that case, wouldn't that be an unconditional? Or would they ask for a minimum of 2:1 at the end of the course (which is obviously impossible for a first year).
    I thought I'd ask this out here, before phoning any med schools. (It's kinda late in the evening, and I wanted to see what kind of answers I get here initially).

will be following this

ReputationRep:
    have you been unsuccessful this year? remember that grades alone are a tiny part of the admissions process for most medical schools

if you have just decided you wish to do medicine, I highly advise taking a gap year and doing work experience.

as for your question, some do and many don't - there is a tsr wiki page on this and I think the concensus is take a gap year - it's what I would do (without a doubt)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)

1. It isn't impossible. Graduate entry programmes at some medical schools allow for non-medical degrees

2. I don't know if it's a good idea of intending to drop out of a course to do medicine, that would mean you'd have to apply for undergrad course, which, if i remember correctly, most medical schools don't allow (seeing as you're already at university, I don't know if it's true for all medical schools, though. You're going to have to do the leg work yourself and ask around).

3. It would be unconditional, but technically conditional (conditions would be completing a CRB and health questionnaire or something to that effect)

4. Depends on whether you apply to graduate or undergraduate medicine. The above point only applies if you're applying for undergrad. You can't apply for graduate medicine until at least the last year of your course. They would naturally ask for at least a 2:1.

My advice? Phone every medical school. I've done it before, takes maybe an hour or two. Make an MS Access file, and have fields relating to the questions you are hoping to find the answers to, fill them in as you go along with your phoning. When you're finished, review, see where you have the best chances, research.

ReputationRep:
    Usually medical schools will ask you to complete your degree / be in the last year of your degree before applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    1. It isn't impossible. Graduate entry programmes at some medical schools allow for non-medical degrees

2. I don't know if it's a good idea of intending to drop out of a course to do medicine, that would mean you'd have to apply for undergrad course, which, if i remember correctly, most medical schools don't allow (seeing as you're already at university, I don't know if it's true for all medical schools, though. You're going to have to do the leg work yourself and ask around).

3. It would be unconditional, but technically conditional (conditions would be completing a CRB and health questionnaire or something to that effect)

4. Depends on whether you apply to graduate or undergraduate medicine. The above point only applies if you're applying for undergrad. You can't apply for graduate medicine until at least the last year of your course. They would naturally ask for at least a 2:1.

My advice? Phone every medical school. I've done it before, takes maybe an hour or two. Make an MS Access file, and have fields relating to the questions you are hoping to find the answers to, fill them in as you go along with your phoning. When you're finished, review, see where you have the best chances, research.
    can you upload the MS file :shy: would save alot of time!!!

ReputationRep:
    Use the search function - someone this year did ring round every medical school and get their opinion on this. The results are recorded in a thread in this forum.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...fferent_Course

ReputationRep:
    uptodate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardd)
    uptodate?
    Possibly not completely. If you would like to do the honours of contacting the universities and asking if their policy has changed, I'm sure people would appreciate it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by richardd)
    uptodate?
    Possibly - check the article. Yours truly added the disclaimer:

CAUTION: A word of warning.
    This information may be out of date. Do not apply to any universities listed here without confirming your eligibility beforehand. These checks were originally carried out in April 2010, presumably the universities giving their policy for 2011 entry. Ensure that the policy has not changed for your particular year of entry!

ReputationRep:
    To be in with a realistic shot you'd have to drop out and reapply -- in my year I can think of 3 people off the top of my head who have done this, having started degrees like English Literature, Physics, Classics then left after a year to reapply.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought you could do that? Can you really?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.