Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 17 and we know that the insurance can be ridiculous. I have one question and I'm curious if doing this kind of trick is possible.

My dad buys Porsche 'for him' and I get myself some cheap car, let's say Peugeot 106, now I buy a full comprehensive insurance on Peugeot and my dad allows me to drive the Porsche, now by the law I don't break any law because I'm insured and I'm allowed to drive the Porsche, so at the end I'm paying little amount of money but driving a better car. Because what you actually do, is you don't insure that car but yourself.

Is this alright?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, you can get fully comprehensive insurance on the Peugeot and then drive the Porsche with third party cover.

However:

- You won't find any insurer who offers a 'drive other cars' policy at age 17.

- If by some miracle you do find such an insurer, it would only cover you third party. So if you crashed the Porsche, nobody would pay to fix it. Could you afford to 'lose' the Porsche should the worst happen? Since you're looking for insurance 'tricks' to save money, it would suggest not.

lol no, it isn't. You need to be a lot older to be covered if you drive another person's car with their permission.

ReputationRep:
    Most comprehensive policies cover you 3rd party to drive other peoples cars with their permission. Being a young driver, they might include restrictions on the class of car, or completely deny the 3rd party cover altogether. Your Dads policy probably covers any driver 3rd party on the Porker, but usually this is restricted to over 25yo. Either way, the Porker is only covered 3rd party, so wreck it and you'll be in a world of hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Bascially people who look like this

Have destroyed the chances of decent insurance at a young age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Bascially people who look like this

Have destroyed the chances of decent insurance at a young age
    lol love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Theoretically, you can get fully comprehensive insurance on the Peugeot and then drive the Porsche with third party cover.

However:

- You won'd find any insurer who offers a 'drive other cars' policy at age 17.

- If by some miracle you do find such an insurer, it would only cover you third party. So if you crashed the Porsche, nobody would pay to fix it. Could you afford to 'lose' the Porsche should the worst happen? Since you're looking for insurance 'tricks' to save money, it would suggest not.
    The 'trick' is required because insurance companies quote me for 10x of the car worth a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilterri)
    no. you have to be insured on that car too

Get your facts right before you post, please.

The other posters are right: Most comprehensive insurance policies do cover you to drive other vehicles with the owner's permission. However, this cover is usually limited to third party only. Furthermore, it is usually only offered to drivers who are 25 years old or more.

ReputationRep:
    Admiral (and their subsidiaries) have stopped third party cover for everyone now, even those over 25. Check your policy if you were previously able to drive any car 3rd party, many insurers are stopping this and not telling you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Admiral (and their subsidiaries) have stopped third party cover for everyone now, even those over 25. Check your policy if you were previously able to drive any car 3rd party, many insurers are stopping this and not telling you...
    yup sadly the case. when I passed 5 years ago, I was with Quinn, who allowed it on any car. 5 years later and I can't get it anywhere because I'm a couple years too young...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paxton)
    The 'trick' is required because insurance companies quote me for 10x of the car worth a year
    Giving a stupidly high quote is the insurer's polite way of saying "we don't much fancy insuring a 17 year old guy on a Porsche".

You're not going to get insured on anything like that at your age I'm afraid. I'm 23 with five years no claims and still can't get insured on my folk's cars for a reasonable sum.

ReputationRep:
    I have an insurance policy that allows me to drive any other vehicle and have since I was 18. HOWEVER! This is becoming increasingly rare and I know I'm lucky to have this on my insurance. The second problem with this is that it's only third party, which, when you're driving a high value vehicle, is more than a little nerve wracking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you have to be 21 for drive other cars policies, anyone know for sure? I am fully comp and my insurance says nothing about me driving other cars. A friend of mine asked about it too and they said he was too young, not sure if that was specifically his insurer though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paxton)
    Hi,

I'm 17 and we know that the insurance can be ridiculous. I have one question and I'm curious if doing this kind of trick is possible.

My dad buys Porsche 'for him' and I get myself some cheap car, let's say Peugeot 106, now I buy a full comprehensive insurance on Peugeot and my dad allows me to drive the Porsche, now by the law I don't break any law because I'm insured and I'm allowed to drive the Porsche, so at the end I'm paying little amount of money but driving a better car. Because what you actually do, is you don't insure that car but yourself.

Is this alright?

Thanks!
    You insure yourself, but this doesn't mean you are insured to drive all cars. It depends on your policy. Usually you have to be 25 before your policy will cover you on other cars.

Even if you were over 25, most insurance policies would not allow you to drive the porsche as your main car (i.e. it will be designed for occasional use of other cars), so driving your dad's porsche regularly would be fraud.

(Original post by spikeooa)
    I'm sure you have to be 21 for drive other cars policies, anyone know for sure? I am fully comp and my insurance says nothing about me driving other cars. A friend of mine asked about it too and they said he was too young, not sure if that was specifically his insurer though
    If your policy says nothing about it, you aren't entitled to drive other cars: it needs to be in the policy for you to be insured. Make sure that you are reading the actual legal policy document, not just a web-page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    You insure yourself, but this doesn't mean you are insured to drive all cars. It depends on your policy. Usually you have to be 25 before your policy will cover you on other cars.

Even if you were over 25, most insurance policies would not allow you to drive the porsche as your main car (i.e. it will be designed for occasional use of other cars), so driving your dad's porsche regularly would be fraud.

If your policy says nothing about it, you aren't entitled to drive other cars: it needs to be in the policy for you to be insured. Make sure that you are reading the actual legal policy document, not just a web-page.
    Yeah that's what I was getting at, I was fairly certain I was unable to drive other cars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    As I wrote, having had my drive other cars clause since I was 18, you don't HAVE to be of a particular age, it just depends on what your insurer has decided on as being their policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)

Once you are 21 or older, you generally could have a Porsche as your only car without any problems. Just the insurance will be in the thousands of pounds.

Generally it is only cars such as Ferraris and Lamborghinis or other really expensive supercars that will never be insurable as an only car through your regular mainstream insurance companies.

In regards to tricks, you're stupid to even think about such a thing, the insurance company has probably heard and seen every conceivable trick there is. Where you get away with it, chances are it's more of them choosing not to do anything about it rather than otherwise...... free premiums and usually in an event you need to claim that it becomes an issue or you find that you don't have insurance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sync)

However:

- You won'd find any insurer who offers a 'drive other cars' policy at age 17.

I agree. This is the case im afraid.
    I dont think most insurers do the 'drive other cars' policy untill you are 21.

ReputationRep:
    How about just driving the 106?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.